Bugsmasher reaches 733 knots as per FlightAware

NoHeat

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FlightAware has a very amusing bug in its calculation of ground speed. Lots of impressive spikes. In this recent flight of mine I cruised usually at 167 knots, but occasionally much faster, even as high as 733 knots!

1eaf64dbae30e4054a4af9623ebfb9e7.jpg

All you need is ADS-B out, and you too can be a speed demon, Tim. My Garmin 330ES transponder is all it took for me to achieve those high speeds.

I am guessing that FlightAware eavesdrops on ADS-B, and sporadically messes it up in a spectacular way.

I have been seeing this as well quite a bit. Are they aware of this?

All you need is ADS-B out, and you too can be a speed demon, Tim. My Garmin 330ES transponder is all it took for me to achieve those high speeds.

well, then, that's definitely the most cost effective speed mod on the market, hands down!!! Knots2U will be declaring bankruptcy shortly!

:rofl:

I am guessing that FlightAware eavesdrops on ADS-B, and sporadically messes it up in a spectacular way.

I have ADSB out and don't see that, FWIW

The GPS in my diesel pickup shows I achieved a top speed of 238 mph at one time. My friends accuse me of taking the GPS up in a plane with me.

What do they list as the data source during the spikes? Eg if it's switching between radar data and ADS-B, or different radar feeds then it could be interpolating between different fixes from different sources and thus calculating bogus speeds to make the position reports fit. Just a thought.

Same issue here. My old plane did not have adsb out and I didn't see these spikes- new plane does have adsb out and often goes 600 kts+

I like to think its because the old plane was naturally aspirated and this one is a turbo.

FlightAware's always been glitchy. I have several flight traces that show me flying ~200 miles from A to B, with a quick 9,000 mile detour to Sao Paolo or Copenhagen or somesuch along the way.

What do they list as the data source during the spikes? Eg if it's switching between radar data and ADS-B, or different radar feeds then it could be interpolating between different fixes from different sources and thus calculating bogus speeds to make the position reports fit. Just a thought.

The source was their own ADS-B receivers. I can tell by looking at the table of raw data below the graphs on FlightAware. Somehow they are generating bad data for ground speed from the ADS-B.

5760570e3fac56c06381051ea6b7d230.jpg

Last edited:
There's no bad data there. My 172 really is this fast. I use dihydrogen oxide injected into the intake with magnets on the fuel lines. I'm going to patent it, so don't tell anyone...

Sat 09:33:17 AM 43.4219 -70.4214 29° Northeast 531 611 5,700

Channeling another PoA member....

You can go that fast when you learn to tap into the power of dark energy:D

Back