Bug Cloud, Texas

I had no idea that grasshoppers and beetles even flew.... let alone high enough and dense enough to cause a radar echo.

Did you see the radar return of the mayflies along the upper Mississippi between Illinois and Iowa the other day? Amazing.

This was just a few miles west of here. It's not all that unusual either, funny how it made national news. In the summertime it's quite common to have to fly thru mass swarms of grasshoppers on final to my home airport's runway. Makes a big mess on the leading edges of the wings, and the wheelpants too, and if you don't wash it off after landing the summer heat bakes the bug splats on hard as dried glue.

Bug Cloud, Texas
For a minute there, I thought Bug Cloud was another Texas town like Dime Box or Gun Sight. If not, it should be.

Did you see the radar return of the mayflies along the upper Mississippi between Illinois and Iowa the other day? Amazing.

Larger then normal this year as they were two months late and trying to make up for lost time. :wink2:

For a minute there, I thought Bug Cloud was another Texas town like Dime Box or Gun Sight. If not, it should be.

Gunbarrel City. A buddy of mine used to live there.

Larger then normal this year as they were two months late and trying to make up for lost time. :wink2:

Gunbarrel City. A buddy of mine used to live there.

Love me some Gunbarrel City.
My family has a place down there.
That town is actually growing rapidly.

Over the last 10 years it is becomming more and more like a typical suburban city complete with: http://www.cedarcreekbrewery.com

Yeah, we've got those podunk towns, but we've also got the major metropolises (metropoli?) of Paris and Moscow. Heck, we're even big enough to hold all of Palestine.

This was just a few miles west of here. It's not all that unusual either, funny how it made national news. In the summertime it's quite common to have to fly thru mass swarms of grasshoppers on final to my home airport's runway. Makes a big mess on the leading edges of the wings, and the wheelpants too, and if you don't wash it off after landing the summer heat bakes the bug splats on hard as dried glue.

Oh man, some days flying pipeline around there was a constant pelting.

Back