Bruce, Ron, etc., please don't yawn.....

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
...and let me have my moment of satisfaction.

My logbook now says I have 1500.3 hours. :D

Judy

judypilot said:

Judy

WOOO HOOO!! Congratulations!

I am within about 3 flights of crossing the 300 hour barrier. Your 1500 hours is, like, years of flying to me.

What is that 1500 hours composed of, though? How much XC? IFR? Aerobatic etc? How many different aircraft? Think about how much of your life has been spent in a cockpit and what you have done, where you have gone, what you have learned. Way cool that.

Every once in a while I sit, and look at log entries, and think back to mistakes, triumphs, fun moments. I guess the sum of that book is worth more to me than the $ I spent on each hour.

Congratulations. 1500 hours is a milestone that many will never reach.

Jim G

That is a LOT. Fantastic, Judy! May you have many more happy flying hours.

judypilot said:
...My logbook now says I have 1500.3 hours. :D

Great job! Too bad the media never publishes anything about safe pilots like you.:dunno:

That is awesome, i hope to get there!
Barely over a 100 right now!
Many more to you.

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I do have some great stories (some of them told here). But I actually have very few "there I was, with the fuel gauge on empty, and my wing falling off..." kinds of stories. The good stories are 99% people I've met and places I've been to. The rest has been pretty boring, which is exactly how I like it. Oh, I've made my share of mistakes, and had my share of luck, but I haven't done anything really bonehead, nor have I had a serious mechanical failure (though I continue to prepare as if it's imminent).

Of course, having said that, some people think the fact that I fly over mountains and into tiny airstrips in the bottoms of steep canyons is bonehead, but, well....there's no accounting for taste.

Judy

grattonja said:
I am within about 3 flights of crossing the 300 hour barrier. Your 1500 hours is, like, years of flying to me.

What is that 1500 hours composed of, though? How much XC? IFR? Aerobatic etc? How many different aircraft? Think about how much of your life has been spent in a cockpit and what you have done, where you have gone, what you have learned. Way cool that.

Every once in a while I sit, and look at log entries, and think back to mistakes, triumphs, fun moments. I guess the sum of that book is worth more to me than the $ I spent on each hour.

Congratulations. 1500 hours is a milestone that many will never reach.

Jim G

Jim,

I don't have my logbook in front of me, but it's something like XC about 700; IFR over 130, but actual IMC only about 3; aerobatic, 1. I don't know how many different aircraft or different kinds of aircraft; my guess is about 50 and maybe 15. As for the satisfaction/cost ratio: It's way, way, way up there.

Judy

Boring.... MY BUTT!!! The only time aviation stories are boring is when you're not part of the crowd. We do love our stories particularly when we can wave our hands around while making engine sounds.

Congrats on the 1,500 hours. I only have 1,230 to go.

Diana said:
That's great Judy! :D

Are you still instructing?

Just the odd intro flight now and then. I really don't have time to do more, but I'm keeping my certificate current. When I retire (in about 10 years), I intend to do more--a lot more.

I also got my 2nd class medical renewed today, which is always nice as the years advance. They've changed the rules--again. Now, even though my BP and meds were previously reported, I still have to document that I'm healthy. The AME has the authority and freedom to issue the medical, which she did, but sometime soon I have to send the same blood test results to the FAA that I had to provide the first time I reported it. The other odd thing--no hearing test. I'd have thought that would be required for the 2nd, but apparently it isn't (or isn't any more).

But the real reason for launching into this story isn't to congratulate myself on being healthy (I already KNEW that), but because a few months ago, someone commented on my nice gray hair, which brought me up short because it's brown, not gray. But in the spirit of openness and honesty, I asked the nurses (who'd never seen me before) if my hair is brown or gray and they immediately said "gray". Sigh. I guess there's no denying it any more. I told the AME that I hoped that the "sudden" acquisition of gray hair wasn't disqualifying, and she said if it were, she'd have to flunk half her pilots.

But at least it's NICE gray hair.

Judy

Way to go, Judy. :yes: Can I look you up when I'm ready for some bush pilot instruction? :)

terry

judypilot said:
...a few months ago, someone commented on my nice gray hair, which brought me up short because it's brown, not gray. But in the spirit of openness and honesty, I asked the nurses (who'd never seen me before) if my hair is brown or gray and they immediately said "gray". Sigh. I guess there's no denying it any more. I told the AME that I hoped that the "sudden" acquisition of gray hair wasn't disqualifying, and she said if it were, she'd have to flunk half her pilots.

But at least it's NICE gray hair.

Judy
And the kind you want to have... :)

Way to go Judy thats awesome. At the rate I am going I will have at least that many hours before I take my private pilot check ride. Hmmm guess my name should have been PVT2ATP eh? Once again WAY TO GO!!!!!

judypilot said:

Judy

Nice! :cheerswine:

I'm still a bit behind you at about 1100 hours.

Now, don't think about how much it cost you to amass those hours... :)

judypilot said:

Judy

Gee, and I was happy passing 200 hours last month...

Congratulations.

Ghery said:
Gee, and I was happy passing 200 hours last month...

Congratulations.

200 is nothing to sneeze at. Just be aware that you're in the danger zone where a lot of pilots, and I was one, feel they know a lot and start getting cocky. After a few more humbling experiences, oh long about 400-500 hours, they realize how much they don't know. Since I survived that time, I've flown humbly ever since. In fact, I think I become more humble with each passing 100 hours, which is a good thing, I think.

Judy

wsuffa said:
Now, don't think about how much it cost you to amass those hours... :)

No problem. I take the cost and divide it by the joy, and get a vanishingly small number. Hence, all this flying has been of negligible cost. :D

Judy

HPNFlyGirl said:
Way to go Judy thats awesome. At the rate I am going I will have at least that many hours before I take my private pilot check ride. Hmmm guess my name should have been PVT2ATP eh? Once again WAY TO GO!!!!!

It will all click someday and you'll be a certificated pilot before you know it.

Judy

judypilot said:
Thanks, everyone. Yeah, I do have some great stories (some of them told here). But I actually have very few "there I was, with the fuel gauge on empty, and my wing falling off..." kinds of stories.
And what's the way GA flying ought to be! :goofy: Cool beans, Judy!

Back