Broke the 100 Hour Mark

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
Forgot to mention that I broke the 100 hour mark on my last flight. I guess the next "big" mark will be 100 hours as PIC instead of just 100 hours total time.

I think a pilot on this forum (Ed?) told me once that stats show the following:

1. Many people get a medical / student pilot cert but do not become pilots (stop mid training or are a "forever student" happy to just solo)

2. Many private pilots stop flying at / before 100 hours.

What was a big moment for you in your flying? Hours, ratings, owning your first plane?

Where were you when you hit 100 or even 1,000 hours? Did you make a big deal about it or was it just another day? Did you stop getting excited about these little things after a while?

Congrats!

I was doing a rent check for a DA40 on my 100th hour. Was a nice flight. I can't remember what I was doing on my 100th PIC hour.
Didn't hit my 1000th hour yet.

My biggest achievement (hour wise) was my 1st hour. It was on the SR-20, I did some stalls, steep turns, and a few landings. The instructor even let me land it myself. :D
The difference between 0 and 1 is bigger than 1 and 100.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I was doing a rent check for a DA40 on my 100th hour. Was a nice flight. I can't remember what I was doing on my 100th PIC hour.
Didn't hit my 1000th hour yet.

My biggest achievement (hour wise) was my 1st hour. The difference between 0 and 1 is bigger than 1 and 100. It was on the SR-20, I did some stalls, steep turns, and a few landings. The instructor even let me land it myself. :D

What is a rent check? Do you mean a rental check out? I did one of those in a 172 and for me it was basically like a "checkride" of sorts. Then again it was with my one and only CFI from private pilot training so he was probably trying to keep me proficient.

You landed and did steep turns in your first hour? After my intro flight I went to another flying school and with an hour in my log book I had the balls to tell my new CFI that we had no rudder or trim on my intro plane at the other school. He laughed and said "yes you did you just didn't know about it".

Hit the 1000 hour mark on the last day of the year. I had done the math and knew I was close, so flew with a student in the morning, took some friends from church in our 210 with their father / grandfather who flew transports in WWII to lunch at T82 where there is a DC-3 / C-47 static, then flew a Cub solo for the last 1.3 or so. That was fun.

Ryan

What is a rent check? Do you mean a rental check out? I did one of those in a 172 and for me it was basically like a "checkride" of sorts. Then again it was with my one and only CFI from private pilot training so he was probably trying to keep me proficient.

Yeah I meant rental check out.

You landed and did steep turns in your first hour? After my intro flight I went to another flying school and with an hour in my log book I had the balls to tell my new CFI that we had no rudder or trim on my intro plane at the other school. He laughed and said "yes you did you just didn't know about it".

I told the instructor that I wanted to learn as much as possible and not spend time on any scenic flights. Also I was flying sims before that so I kinda had an idea of what to expect.

Hit the 1000 hour mark on the last day of the year. I had done the math and knew I was close, so flew with a student in the morning, took some friends from church in our 210 with their father / grandfather who flew transports in WWII to lunch at T82 where there is a DC-3 / C-47 static, then flew a Cub solo for the last 1.3 or so. That was fun.

Ryan

Wow. To me, 1,000 hours is a LOT. I wonder if that is something I can achieve before I die. I am 32 now. So that would mean if I only fly until I am 62 - I have 30 years to do 1,000 hours in.

That's 33 hours per year. Doesn't sound like a lot but that is flying once every other week for an hour (roughly).

Hi Kimberly,

Congrats! I am right behind you. I have about 95 hours logged right now.

Flying rocks doesn't it? I only wish I had started long ago. What do you fly?

The one day that tops them all on my list was my first solo. 6/23/09. Even more so then the day I got my ticket. I just participated in the shirt cutting ceremony for a 17 year old boy who solo'd last week at our airport. His grin was so wide that I thought his face would break and must have used the word AWESOME 100 times. It was very cool as I remember exactly how that moment felt. It was.... well... AWESOME!

And MachFly...Just a quick off topic question. How do you like the Diamond? That is next on my list to get checked in. Looks like it would be a fun airplane to fly.

I don't think buying a plane is a benchmark in your flying. I bought one before I had one lesson (although i flew in small planes a bunch before that).

I would say that your first flight at the controls (logged or not, in my case not), your first solo, and then prob each time you get a new rating or checked out in a new plane. Then again maybe each time you flew somewhere new.

There is way too much awesome stuff to do and be proud of!

Way to go kimberlyanne!

And MachFly...Just a quick off topic question. How do you like the Diamond? That is next on my list to get checked in. Looks like it would be a fun airplane to fly.

Which one? I flew DA20C-1, DA40, and currently fly the DA42NG.

Wow you fly a lot Kim!
Good for you.

I think 100 hours was around when I got rent checked on 172 (instead of the 182 I was flying).
I realized $30 difference per hour is A LOT.

Biggest moment?
Probably getting 100 on the PPL written.

Flying was the easy part for me, sitting down and studying was extremely hard. I had to stop flying for a few months and force myself to hit the books, I wasn't sure I could do it.

I gained a lot of confidence in my ability and personality after that.

IR written feels much easier, and I've only been studying for 6 months :)

An FBO near here has both the DA20 and DA40 available. I'd probably initially fly the DA20 as the rent is much more affordable.

An FBO near here has both the DA20 and DA40 available. I'd probably initially fly the DA20 as the rent is much more affordable.

I'll start off with the DA20. Basically it's a very good airplane. It has great visibility due to the bauble canopy, the fact that you don't need to look around structural bars (can't remember the official name) is really nice. DA20 also has very light controls and it reacts to the control inputs very well, significantly better than the 172 for example. It really is a pilot's airplane. The only thing that I don't really like is the 125hp engine, extra 60hp would be nice. However your probably not going to feel that the engine is 125hp when you fly it, I don't remember the numbers as it's been a while but the climb rate and cruise speed is a lot higher than most aircraft of that class. It is one of those few airplanes that feel like an extension of your body.
DA40 on the other hand is basically a bigger version of the DA20. This one has a 180hp engine with a constant speed prop. Most of the DA40s you'll find will have a G1000 and some sort of autopilot (we had the KAP 140). You will notice that it feels heavier but the performance is amazing.

Let me know if you want me to get more specific on anything.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention that I broke the 100 hour mark on my last flight. I guess the next "big" mark will be 100 hours as PIC instead of just 100 hours total time.

1. Many people get a medical / student pilot cert but do not become pilots (stop mid training or are a "forever student" happy to just solo)

What was a big moment for you in your flying? Hours, ratings, owning your first plane?

Where were you when you hit 100 or even 1,000 hours? Did you make a big deal about it or was it just another day? Did you stop getting excited about these little things after a while?

1 - Biggest moment in my flying life. Hands down..... Building a plane that is truly a one of a kind and surviving the first flight and making it back on the ground safely.

2 - My first solo

3 - I bought my first plane when I had 1.4 hours in my log book.... I HATE renting anything..:yesnod::yesnod::yesnod::yesnod:...

Ben.

Statistically, the safest pilots are the new pilots.
Statistically, pilots with 100 - 300 hours are the worst.

I'm 35 and have about 10,000hrs or so (haven't added it up in about a year).

Biggest achievements were:

- 1st solo (goes without saying)

- not really a milestone, but during instrument training, the first breakout at mins on an ILS thinking "wow this sh*t really works"

- 1st student solo.. might have been my most exciting moment in my career/adventure. Nothing can describe watching someone fly a plane knowing they learned it from you

- 1st captain position at an airline. Heck of a feeling knowing no matter what happens, everyone is looking to you for answers

- watching venus dance just above the horizon at 30W over the north atlantic, vividly changing from white to red to green to blue to yellow and back.. spectacular, if not tiring given the hour

- the airline pilot as a career has taken a hit, but it's hard to describe the feeling once that pushback begins and you're taking a plane to europe or asia for a couple of days. No one looking directly over your shoulder, just go do your job, stay out of the trees, and have a lot of fun.

I'm 35 and have about 10,000hrs or so (haven't added it up in about a year).

Biggest achievements were:

- 1st solo (goes without saying)

- not really a milestone, but during instrument training, the first breakout at mins on an ILS thinking "wow this sh*t really works"

- 1st student solo.. might have been my most exciting moment in my career/adventure. Nothing can describe watching someone fly a plane knowing they learned it from you

- 1st captain position at an airline. Heck of a feeling knowing no matter what happens, everyone is looking to you for answers

- watching venus dance just above the horizon at 30W over the north atlantic, vividly changing from white to red to green to blue to yellow and back.. spectacular, if not tiring given the hour

- the airline pilot as a career has taken a hit, but it's hard to describe the feeling once that pushback begins and you're taking a plane to europe or asia for a couple of days. No one looking directly over your shoulder, just go do your job, stay out of the trees, and have a lot of fun.

Thanks, I now have more reason to second guess my career choices. ;)

Thanks, I now have more reason to second guess my career choices. ;)

Nah you can make a job sound as good or bad as you want. I was just focusing on the nice things. :D

This industry is littered with broken careers, marriages, and dreams.

Last edited:
I can't remember what I was doing when I hit 100 hours, but I hit 200 total and 100 PIC somewhere near Gastons in Arkansas

Congrats!

I hit 100 about a month ago while getting my High Performance endorsement. 1st hour was 21 months ago.

The big moment for me was flying my family down to South Texas for a weekend vacation. That was sort the 'big payoff' for all of the training. It was good to be at 5500' and hear my wife say "this is pretty awesome, I'm glad you did this".

... now she has a 'bucket list'.

You made me look, anyway. I wasn't doing anything notable at 100 hours. During that flight I took some some college classmates up in a 172 to take pictures of the town of Oakley, CA from the air. Oakley was a small farming community then as I recall. it's probably a subdivision now.

The biggest moment for me wasn't really a flight. I would say that it was getting my first full-time job as a mapping pilot. It was not just getting the job, but I moved alone to a place I had never seen before the day they flew me up for the interview, Boise, ID. I was the only pilot in the company and I was expected to know what I was doing. :rofl:

Last edited:
Hit 100 hours last month flying that set of strap-on wings known as the 150, while waiting (...and waiting...and waiting...) for the 172 to be repaired. Kim, that's awesome you're getting the TW time this weekend. That's on my list as well.

I haven't been in the habit of tallying my hours often. Usually I wait until the insurance renewal is due and they want to know. The only time I remember paying much attention to the hours in my logs was when I passed my mother's total which was around 1200. She flew much of that back in the 30's and 40's.

The personal aviation event I remember most clearly was the day the new owner flew away in the first airplane I owned by myself (prior "ownership" was in clubs). I didn't think this would affect me all that much as I don't usually get emotionally attached to "things" and I had a new (to me) Baron to fly at that time. None the less when I watched the Bonanza climbing away with no expectation of ever seeing it again I must have got some dust in my eyes because they were a bit teary.

I landed my Travel Air at Sedona right on my 100th hour, it was funny, I felt like old Doc Peterson who would tag the tires on his 310 in rallies EXACTLY to the second that he called it before takeoff. I guess that's what happens when you fly rallies in the same plane for three and a half decades. They were fun to fly with him.

Biggest moment for me was my first trip and flip into the crop, that was really interesting. I had crashed plenty of cars and motorcycles, but that was my first plane.

Last edited:
I don't think buying a plane is a benchmark in your flying. I bought one before I had one lesson (although i flew in small planes a bunch before

Thought about this for a while and I respectfully disagree. I would love to have owned a plane while training but was at the mercy of my local flight school's schedule...the planes were readily available, but usually only for a few hours at a time. There's something about knowing you can go wherever,whenever, for as long as you like (weather and personal schedule permitting), that got me flying WAY more then while renting. Also, the maintenance aspect of owning looks like it'll have me learning new things for many,many,many...years :D
Still very low time at just over 230hrs, but the pace has picked up and I'm enjoying the hell out of it.

Congrats!!!!

I just completed 100 hours in my 182! I can only hope that will make a difference in insurance.

I just completed 100 hours in my 182! I can only hope that will make a difference in insurance.

Be interested to see if it does. It made no significant difference on ours. I'm at 115 hours in 182s now.

I don't think buying a plane is a benchmark in your flying. I bought one before I had one lesson (although i flew in small planes a bunch before that).

Ahhhhh! That's why you think that, you don't know the difference.... Buying a plane is most definitely a bench mark in your flying because that's usually when you start flying frequently enough to see rapid improvement. If you're only known operating expense between now and the next annual is the price of gas, that's not too tough to swallow in a 152, and it's easy to justify flying more when you own, be cause each hour you fly makes each hour cost less due to fixed expenses. 20 years ago it cost me $32hr to fly my Travel Air and that included engine setback, insurance at 200hrs a year and maintenance costs.

I broke the 100 hr mark flying with my daughter Allison in a DA-20. Had to make the flight to hit the 100 before the end of the year :) , so on Dec 30th 2009, I flew from KLOM to KILG, to deliver a Christmas present to Gary M here on the forum. We got him some engraved glasses from Sporty's with his Tail Number on them as he just purchased his Sundowner earlier that fall.

Ally and I had a good visit, then briskly climbed back out of KILG and cruised around a little before going home. 1.6 on the hobbs that day, giving me 100.2 Total Time :D

Yeah, I did as well, until I got back into it a couple years ago. Sometimes life interferes with flying :)

No really big moments yet, it's a journey of many steps. I'm looking forward to finishing tailwheel training and the basic aerobatics course (almost done). A big moment would be competing in a local aerobatics competition. That seems like a fun goal to work towards.

I'm only at 75 hours thus far. Looking forward to the 100 hour mark.

Hi Kimberly,

Congrats! I am right behind you. I have about 95 hours logged right now.

Flying rocks doesn't it? I only wish I had started long ago. What do you fly?

The one day that tops them all on my list was my first solo. 6/23/09. Even more so then the day I got my ticket. I just participated in the shirt cutting ceremony for a 17 year old boy who solo'd last week at our airport. His grin was so wide that I thought his face would break and must have used the word AWESOME 100 times. It was very cool as I remember exactly how that moment felt. It was.... well... AWESOME!

I have rental access and am checked out in two planes:

A 1978 Cessna 152

A 1980 Cessna 172N

I am taking a lesson on Saturday in a Citabria (tailwheel endorsement). If I get that endorsement, I will be "checked out" and able to rent the Citabria as well - at a different airport / flying school.

And they didn't even cut my shirt when I solo'd - did they cut your shirt?

Wow you fly a lot Kim!
Good for you.

I think 100 hours was around when I got rent checked on 172 (instead of the 182 I was flying).
I realized $30 difference per hour is A LOT.

Biggest moment?
Probably getting 100 on the PPL written.

Flying was the easy part for me, sitting down and studying was extremely hard. I had to stop flying for a few months and force myself to hit the books, I wasn't sure I could do it.

I gained a lot of confidence in my ability and personality after that.

IR written feels much easier, and I've only been studying for 6 months :)

Nah, I think I had right around 90 hours (or more) when I went for the checkride. That was August 28th. We are now in October! So less than 10 hours in a few months isn't flying a lot. Not to me anyways.

Congratulations Kim! :)

100 hours wasn't really a milestone for me, and honestly I don't think it even registered. I was still too far from finishing my PPL. Actually looking back at my first logbook, I was getting checked out for the first time in a C-172 at Marine City. Because of problems early on getting my medical I hadn't yet done a single solo XC, in fact I had just done my first 3 supervised solos less than 10 hours before.

First,

Congrats Kim. Keep on keepin' on!

Any pilot is dangerous when not paying attention. For example, last year a CAP flight with two over 10,000 hr pilots on board flew in to a mountain side. Many more examples like that one. Hours do not matter if you don't stay on task.

First,

Congrats Kim. Keep on keepin' on!

Any pilot is dangerous when not paying attention. For example, last year a CAP flight with two over 10,000 hr pilots on board flew in to a mountain side. Many more examples like that one. Hours do not matter if you don't stay on task.

You'll always find experienced pilots making mistakes, but that does not mean they are the most dangerous. When you have 100-300hrs you start thinking that you can do anything and do it, half the time skill does not allow it.

Phew! I'm just filling out the 8500-8 for my SI medical, and I have 300.9 hours. Woo hoo!

I would agree about new pilots being the safest pilots. I was probably too safe. If there was a cloud in the next county, or winds > 15 knots, I tended to stay on the ground. That's one reason why I got my IR last year - so I wouldn't make irrationally conservative go/no-go decisions.

To solo our club's Arrow (assuming no previous experience in type) you need 100 hours TT and 10 hours dual in the plane. I hit both at the same time (pure dumb luck) back in 2002.

Other highlights?

1st solo, obviously.

Passing the PP check ride

Passing the IR check ride last month

First glider instruction last week in the UK.

Total time is now pushing 350 hours.

Have fun!

To solo our club's Arrow (assuming no previous experience in type) you need 100 hours TT and 10 hours dual in the plane. I hit both at the same time (pure dumb luck) back in 2002.

Other highlights?

1st solo, obviously.

Passing the PP check ride

Passing the IR check ride last month

First glider instruction last week in the UK.

Total time is now pushing 350 hours.

Have fun!

You need 10 hours dual in an arrow? I only had to do 1.5 to get checked out in the 172. But then again, it is just like the 152 only bigger.

Back