Broke my iPad - replace with Mini?

I've never used an iPad mini for navigation but did use a somewhat comparable Nexus/7 Android for a couple of years. It worked fine but that size is not ideal for approach charts. But you can get by. However I later switched to Foreflight and an iPad Air and the additional screen real estate has worked out much better and I wouldn't think of reducing the size.

Initially, I had problems with the tablet covering my gauges a bit in a PA28 but a peek over the top worked for a while. However, what worked better was turning my yoke mount upside down on the yoke (so that it goes under the yoke hub rather than over it) which provided lower positions for the large iPad and eliminated the gauge interference. That is the way I use it all the time now. I also use a power cable with a left elbow connector (rather than the straight lightning connector) and that reduces the overall form factor a bit in the crotch area but I actually have plenty of position movement for the iPad in this configuration.

I carry an identical (except color) iPad for backup. I bought both iPads (32GB w/GPS) on eBay and they cost me about $230 each. 32GB works fine unless you want it for other things but I prefer not to do that on something I fly with and want to be highly reliable and work without any other interference. The iPad Air is light on the yoke and I don't notice any effect. I don't think I'd like anything heavier though and I believe the standard iPads are noticeably more weight.

Last edited:
Let me put in my standard plug for the Apple Refurb store and Gazelle, especially if want a mini. Also, the new full sized iPad starting at $350 seems like a good buy.

Spend the bucks to get a cellular compatible iPad if you can, you'll be glad to have gps without a seperate box.
The only thing with the 'new' ipad is that it does NOT HAVE the anti-glare screen

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I use both, an IPAD Air 2 as a lapboard and a MINI on the panel. They both work fine. I recommend two tablets anyway for redundancy of charts. I carry the Air 2, but the MINI is always in the plane and I have a third IPAD 2 as a contingency backup, since Garmin Pilot allows 3 devices per subscription.

Besides my 2 iPad Airs, my phone, an antique iPhone 4S is my 3rd backup. It is small but it will work in a pinch with Foreflight. I flew for years with my Magellan AirMap GPS with a smaller b/w screen and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. The only issue is making sure it is kept up to date.

If I had my druthers I suppose I'd get an iPad Air 2. It is the same weight but the anti-reflective screen is the real advantage. However, it is slightly thinner and therefore doesn't fit right in my yoke which means I'd want to replace both tablets and it just isn't worth it for me. I have a screen protector that serves the anti-glare purpose and, for the money, that works best for me. When they drop in price I'll grab a couple and replace my yoke mount.

Back