Brightest LEDs

6t6

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
North Bound
A lot out there which are the brightest 12V/24V and taxi lights for GA?

A lot out there which are the brightest 12V/24V and taxi lights for GA?

Depends on which bulbs...I found LED to be unacceptable for my overhead red panel light in my 172. A reg bulb was better because the LED was too focused and too bright.

I have a LED for the dome light that is whiter than a stock bulb that I like.

Also have to be careful that the bulbs you chose don't make noise which can cause problems.

IMO Whelen is the best choice for taxi and landing lights.

I am using LED in the ceiling of the cabin and under both wings. They use very little amps.
4474.jpg

Last edited:
I think one has to do a cost/benefit analysis. I thought I saw some near $600 a bulb? I’d be settling for a cheaper one, even if a little less brightness. Then you get to the ‘unapproved’ tractor type lights.

I can’t be spend no $600 on one bulb.

Actually I think HID has LED beat for basic lumen output but LED has so many advantages they really are the way to go. I had a Lopresti boom beam HID and swapped it for a Whelen parmethius and I am totally happy with the result.

Actually I think HID has LED beat for basic lumen output but LED has so many advantages they really are the way to go. I had a Lopresti boom beam HID and swapped it for a Whelen parmethius and I am totally happy with the result.
So were your boom beams in the Zip tip wing caps? I have the standard lights there which do not put out much candle power and only for recognition. More powerful replacements would be a big help, and with the reduced current needed, I think would even work with my lower power receptacles.

So were your boom beams in the Zip tip wing caps? I have the standard lights there which do not put out much candle power and only for recognition. More powerful replacements would be a big help, and with the reduced current needed, I think would even work with my lower power receptacles.
My boomer was the taxi light under the prop on the archer and it was pretty damn bright but I subsequently upgraded all my exterior lights to LED. I do believe that the HID was marginally brighter but has a limited lifespan and apparently diminish in brightness over time. Now I have wig - wags in the wing tips, and my strobes and recognition lights are screaming bright LED's that I pretty much leave on continuously. Not cheap by any stretch but it's what I wanted so I bit the bullet and got the best.

I have aeroleds for taxi and landing. I just did some night pattern work a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with the amount of light. I could actually SEE the runway. Not $600, but about $300 IIRC. I don't fly much at night, and don't have much to compare to, but they sure seemed bright to me.

I have aeroleds for taxi and landing. I just did some night pattern work a couple of weeks ago and was very pleased with the amount of light. I could actually SEE the runway. Not $600, but about $300 IIRC. I don't fly much at night, and don't have much to compare to, but they sure seemed bright to me.
I remember seeing an article some place recently that compared the aeroled with the parmethius and IIRC aeroled eaked out slightly more lumens but parmethius had a better beam pattern. In any case, they were close.

Whelen Parmetheus Pro are the brightest as far as I've found.

The Whelen G3 is the best dollars to light ratio you are gonna get. Have a Pro and two G3s.

Back