Brew Day:

I used to be a pretty serious home brewer. I kind of miss those days. I had two kegs going so I would never run dry. I finally had to let it all go to a good home. Have fun!

It's time to brew the Christmas beer.
"Tiger Tank". Probably not the most politically correct name for a beer, but it tastes great.
WooHoo! No bottles this year. We bought a keg system.
It's kind of trendy to give alcoholic beverages funny names, "Tiger Tank" isn't too aggressive.

So, do tell the details of your brew. Light, dark, which hops, specific gravity of the wort?

Looking forward to the details too.

Was a serious home brewer too. Even sold a product called PrimeTab.
(See the General information link for my brewing wisdom).

Still do a brew every couple of years. Full Gott Cooler mash, sparge, yeast starter, and soda keg system.

I used to be a pretty serious home brewer. I kind of miss those days. I had two kegs going so I would never run dry. I finally had to let it all go to a good home. Have fun!
Same/same. I had a fantastic recipe for a red ale that everyone liked.

Thing is, it’s just too easy to go to the store and pick from one of a bazillion craft beers.

That's akin to saying, "It's a lot easier to buy a commercial airline ticket than to own your own plane." :p
Yup. And if I was only interested in being there, I wouldn't own my own plane....how does the saying go, "its not the destination..."

But with beer, I guess I see more value in the destination than the journey. LOL.

One of these years I'll make Mead from my honey. Never had mead and not a fan of wine. So it might be a waste.

One of these years I'll make Mead from my honey. Never had mead and not a fan of wine. So it might be a waste.
I've had mead a few times...tastes more like champaign to me than wine...so if you don't like champaign...

I've had mead a few times...tastes more like champaign to me than wine...so if you don't like champaign...
Hmmm. The local home brew store really pushes mead every fall. If it resembles champaign, I just might give it a try. They also market barleywine in the fall. I made that once and never cared to make a second batch.

Buy a bottle first and see if you like it. Might save a lot of wasted honey and time.
I enjoy it on occasion, but not enough to try making it at home. I used to brew beer, and occasionally make hard cider at home, but was never tempted to make mead.

Ahhh!

Champagne.

Sorry, I can't help it.

I'm jealous! We just moved into a new house so my brewery is mothballed at the moment as I need to get a 240v/30amp circuit installed as my system is eBIAB.

Buy a bottle first and see if you like it. Might save a lot of wasted honey and time.
I enjoy it on occasion, but not enough to try making it at home. I used to brew beer, and occasionally make hard cider at home, but was never tempted to make mead.
I've got 5 gallon buckets of honey in my closet so I don't really care about wasting it. But do I really need ANOTHER hobby if it's just meh

I never made any, but I’ve sampled some homebrew versions.

The still I tried tasted so close to a chardonnay that at first I thought it was wine.

The sparkling version did taste like champagne.

I never made any, but I’ve sampled some homebrew versions.

The still I tried tasted so close to a chardonnay that at first I thought it was wine.

The sparkling version did taste like champagne.
I didn't realize there was mead and sparkling mead, but I guess it makes sense. During the summer, we are often found weekend evenings sitting at Mary's Bistro Draught House of Mackinac Island. I like beer, but I've never been a fan of IPAs...too much hops for me. About 95% of the craft beers at Mary's Bistro are IPAs, so I'll often have a mead instead. I guess what I thought was "plain mead" is actually a sparkling plain mead. :dunno:

I’ll be kegging 20 gallons of homebrew on Thanksgiving Day. 10 gallons each of Scottish Ale and a brown ale. Should last til New Year’s Day if I planned right.

It's kind of trendy to give alcoholic beverages funny names, "Tiger Tank" isn't too aggressive.

So, do tell the details of your brew. Light, dark, which hops, specific gravity of the wort?
Sorry, I've been away for a few days.
To quote the "beer blurb":
Clean yet robust and complex. Rich malt character, noble hops and restrained fruity esters. Perfect combination of German malts and Noble hops.
Yield : 5 Gallons
Original Gravity : 1.051
Final Gravity : 1.011
Color / SRM : Deep Amber
Alcohol by Volume : 5.20%
IBU (anticipated, alpha acids can fluctuate) : 27
Specialty Grains : Crystal 60L, Munich, Vienna, Carafa
Hops : Tradition, Tettnang

We did it for the first time last year. It tasted great, but not very bubbly. We decided to do it again to see if it turned out the same.

You’re kegging, just force carbonate a little higher pressure… should fix the bubbly. Also consider a heaping handful of wheat malt for head retention…. Sounds yummy!

What yeast?

Thought about brewing my own beer. Went to a local brewer’s supply and read a couple of how to get started articles. And I finally decided I like drinking beer way more than I want to brew it.

There’s so many really great local beers around, I can take a growler with me and get it filled at one of the local brew pubs I pass on the way between the airport and my house. Or, I can get my favorite local IPA from the market on the corner now.

In the immortal words of Burl Ives,...

Have a holly jolly Christmas,
It's the best time for a beer.
I don't know
If there'll be blow,
But have a shot of cheer.

Back