Breitling Super Connie!

3393RP

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
3393RP
Weren't we talking about Breitling and spending money? :D

When I watched this L-1049 break ground and the wheels start to come up it was an "Oh, Baby!" moment. What a beauty.

My great grandma used to fly from LAS to ABQ to visit us in TWA L-1049s. They would let us wait on the ramp and watch it taxi in. After shutdown the stairs would roll up, and grandma would slowly make her way down to the ground and get hugs from her great grandkids. This video brought back great memories.

I've seen it parked at the airport in Geneva. Oddly enough sometimes it is on the Swiss side of the field and sometimes parked on the French side.

My wife always thought the fuselage resembled a penis, but we were newly weds at the time , so I guess that was on her mind. :D

Flew on the last TWA Connie flight from DCA to DAY. The Champagne flowed like a river.

Cheers

The Connies were built at the request of Howard Hughes and TWA. Kelly Johnson was on the design team. Quite the historical aircraft.

Flew on the Air Force version, C-121, from Zweibrucken Air Base, Germany to Torrejon AIr Base, Spain. Military plane so we sat backwards. :)

Joke was no pilot over 25 could fly it. Why you may ask? Anyone over 25 couldn't handle 3 pieces of tail.

upload_2016-9-24_9-30-55.png

Flew on the Air Force version, C-121, from Zweibrucken Air Base, Germany to Torrejon AIr Base, Spain. Military plane so we sat backwards. :)

Joke was no pilot over 25 could fly it. Why you may ask? Anyone over 25 couldn't handle 3 pieces of tail.

View attachment 48072

Funny but untrue. Us older guys can handle it better.

Had a ride in the c121 just before ,the Air Force went to the C135.

I forgot to mention grandma kept a diary for sixty some years. Her son, my first cousin, had the diary typeset and printed after her death in 1972. It was four volumes.

When she flew (and was well into her seventies) she would write something like "Flew from Vegas to Albuquerque to see Annette and the kids. Fare was $32 plus $6.75 insurance".

When TWA started flying B727s, her comments were along the lines of "Flew to Albuquerque on a new TWA jet. It was very nice. Fare cost $38 and insurance was $6.55".

Her diaries are fascinating reading, giving a narrative of her, my grandparents, and my parents efforts to get established in Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Albuquerque. They were buying property, paying for it on different weeks during the month. Everyone chipped in.

It resulted in a large commercial sheet metal business in Albuquerque and eastern Arizona, and my dad's uncles worked at the Nevada Test Site.

Family histories are a thing of the past, I think. No one has the time or inclination to write them.

I forgot to mention grandma kept a diary for sixty some years. Her son, my first cousin, had the diary typeset and printed after her death in 1972. It was four volumes.

When she flew (and was well into her seventies) she would write something like "Flew from Vegas to Albuquerque to see Annette and the kids. Fare was $32 plus $6.75 insurance".

When TWA started flying B727s, her comments were along the lines of "Flew to Albuquerque on a new TWA jet. It was very nice. Fare cost $38 and insurance was $6.55".

Her diaries are fascinating reading, giving a narrative of her, my grandparents, and my parents efforts to get established in Las Vegas, Phoenix, and Albuquerque. They were buying property, paying for it on different weeks during the month. Everyone chipped in.

It resulted in a large commercial sheet metal business in Albuquerque and eastern Arizona, and my dad's uncles worked at the Nevada Test Site.

Family histories are a thing of the past, I think. No one has the time or inclination to write them.

Sadly true.

I try to keep a journal of places I have been and things I have done. Someone may actually find boring me interesting some day.

I wish my dad had done something similar.

I have lived the most interesting life in my family by far and it seems boring compared to some stories I have read on here. :(

I still remember this day. It was in Stuttgart.
karlisuperconnie3D1.jpg

I remember the old airliners always had those postcards in the seatbacks of the plane you were flying on. As a kid I collected them but have no idea what happened to them.

I've seen it parked at the airport in Geneva. Oddly enough sometimes it is on the Swiss side of the field and sometimes parked on the French side.

It just switches depending on whether it wants chocolate and silence, or pressed coffee and attitude. ;)

Back