Breathalyzer "not admissible in court" -- say what???

New Yorkers aren't rude. We just have different social rules. Sarcasm, for example, is considered an art form in The City. I doubt most Californians I've met could survive a day in a grittier neighborhood in Brooklyn or Queens (not someplace like Dumbo where the hipsters have ruined everything) without breaking down in tears. I mean, we'll have entire conversations in sarcasm -- and the sharper, the better.

But we don't consider it rude. We consider it art. It took me a while to realize that it falls flat in most other places.

I would go nuts in San Diego. All the niceness just irks me. It took me a while to get used to the niceness where I live now, and the local here are nowhere near as nice as the average person in California. Frankly, I don't know how you deal with it. It's scary. :rolleyes:

Rich

It was my two Queens, New York native friends that told me New Yorkers are rude. They are also two people I really enjoy spending time with. Never a dull moment. I'm originally from the slow talking south and Midwest and there's no way I can keep up with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuuuuugetttttabooouuuuttt It!

bvg-489x512_thumb.jpg

Rich

I can handle New Yorkers in limited quantities. :)
I really enjoy it when we get those big city/east coast folks out here. They cannot handle the open space for some reason. They ask odd questions like "why don't they put something out here?" Then I have to explain how ranch/farms work.

I really enjoy it when we get those big city/east coast folks out here. They cannot handle the open space for some reason. They ask odd questions like "why don't they put something out here?" Then I have to explain how ranch/farms work.

I get that way when I'm flying up north over the agricultural areas we have in California. I look around like "Wow... there's NOTHING out here... except for these immaculately maintained squares of green... oh. Farms. There are farms out here."

Heh. It's like my one and only Uber ride so far... poor girl started looking kinda nervous when she lost cell coverage and I said there was still three miles to go and a dirt road. My truck was stuck in town at a shop and I wanted to go home.

She relaxed a bit when I said if she wanted to drop me off at the local gas station at the entrance to the neighborhood, as I was sure someone would give me a ride from there. LOL.

Then there was the whole Uber app not tracking all her miles properly debacle, but I had a feeling that POS software would do that when it lost coverage so I called her and told her I'd beat on Uber to make sure she got paid, and did.

Wouldn't want those city kids scared to come out here or thinking anybody out here would rip them off. No need in that nonsense getting started.

Lovely car. New Jetta. Reminded me of the one we got rid of quickly before something else broke on it. Kinda felt bad she had to Uber to keep it, really. Nice girl like that needs a pickup truck.

Growing up in the Ravenswood Housing projects in queens until 4th grade solidified NY sarcasm as part of my personlity.

When I hit the squadron pilot grief given to each other just felt natural. Didn't concern me in the slightest. Gave as good as I got. Didn't take any of personally.

Freaked out some of the JOPA in that regard.

In an encounter, judge the cop the way he judges you - detached? professional? if not polite, then at least "neutral"? Traffic stop? I keep my hands in plain view, on top of the wheel - while you know you're a swell guy, the cop is walking into an encounter with an unkown. Put him at ease - break tradition and tell the truth. .
"Do you know why I stopped you?"
"I was doing 70 in a 55"?
Unless you are demonstrably clairvoyant, and have read his/her mind, the correct answer is "No, officer, I do not know why you stopped me." Doesn't matter whether or not you are a swell guy or Red Jack the other suggestions of not escalating the situation on the roadside are well taken.

Bad mis-read, either by you, or me - I'm not seeing how being honest and frank escalates anything about the traffic stop? If that's not why he stopped me, I'm sure he'll tell me the reason why. To-date, I've known why each time, and coming clean didn't anger or annoy the cop. Maybe it surprised him/her, but that's it.

My impression is most people lie or weasel - I prefer not to insult the cop's intelligence, or offend my own dignity. If I have a tail light out, as well, so be it. If I was 15 over and knew it, and said so, he'll write it that way, or not. Either way, no worries.

Bad mis-read, either by you, or me - I'm not seeing how being honest and frank escalates anything about the traffic stop? If that's not why he stopped me, I'm sure he'll tell me the reason why. To-date, I've known why each time, and coming clean didn't anger or annoy the cop. Maybe it surprised him/her, but that's it.

My impression is most people lie or weasel - I prefer not to insult the cop's intelligence, or offend my own dignity. If I have a tail light out, as well, so be it. If I was 15 over and knew it, and said so, he'll write it that way, or not. Either way, no worries.

There's a difference between this and a DUI checkpoint or investigation. You want to self-incriminate on a speeding charge, really not a big deal, in most States you're not going to get legal due process on traffic violations anyway. Ask for a jury and see the judge start laughing.

The States removed due process from traffic violations a long time ago, as they're high volume, and exactly the sort of thing a jury would easily be convinced to start nullifying in cases where there was no actual harm done or major risk induced, and the ticket was just to generate revenue.

If everyone asked for a jury the costs would skyrocket well beyond the fine collected.

The real winner in the traffic ticket lottery is insurers. A captive customer base required to buy the product and a nice little way to claim someone was doing something unsafe. One ticket will make the LE agency a couple hundred bucks. It'll make your insurer anywhere from $500-$1000 * about three years.

Anyway, there's a line where you're talking about administrative law that you can't even get a jury for, and criminal law, and you probably need to know the difference when deciding to self-incriminate or speak at all.

It really depends on the circumstances. A simple speeding ticket? Who cares? Fess up or don't. Larger accidents where someone else is involved? Possibility of a careless or reckless charge? Better shut up.

I don't speed, so I always get a chuckle out of those who do. I'm also not in the habit of ingesting things incompatible with operating machinery, so it's all kinda a moot point for me.

My favorite is watching officers I *know* aren't responding silently to jack crap, doing ten or more over the limit and passing me.

And I dispatched. I know why officers hurry without lights and sirens to some scenes. But these are those obvious ones where you go past the exit the sped to and see them pulling into their favorite diner after blowing by you at 15 over.

Those folks are a disgrace. Set the example you want to see, just like any other form of leadership. Speeding in a cop car is a total douchebag move. Same deal with flipping on the lights just to bust a long red light at night.

Don't even get me started on unmarked cars. If you want behavior change, marked cars are always better. Unmarked cars are just an invitation to having more impersonators out there. Not to mention the crappy lighting on most of them.

One of our county unmarked cars came flying over a hill in my rear view the other morning in a hurry to a REAL call, and because of the angle of the total crap LEDs in the grill I had no idea it was an officer in a hurry. You could tell by the way he was driving he was also having trouble getting around folks on the county two lane. His equipment was essentially hampering his job.

I about put the Yukon in the ditch once I realized what it was about to hit my back bumper in the Yukon, trying to move over for him to get around. He was way too close to my bumper to pull over properly. He parked himself there because it was the only way I could see his damned hidden LEDs in the grill. And you could tell he knew it.

If the Sheriff wasn't enamored with those unmarked Chargers and the guy had a proper light bar, we all would have been pulling over safely. A couple unmarked vehicles only used for undercover work, fine. Regular use of them? Ban it. It's dangerous and stupid. No good reason for them.

Anyway, I hope he got safely to whatever his call was. It's never good when they need to go that fast. We always knew if we dispatched that an officer needed assistance, there'd be at least one vehicle damaged amongst the responders. If not directly damaged, the drivetrain or wheels/tires would be screwed. Rightly so.

I thought of a good one a while back. Officers get as good a vehicles as the AVERAGE Citizen drives in their jurisdiction. Hahaha. Oh I know it wouldn't work, but the local PD has always had nicer cars than I. I just pay for both, I guess.

I have one cop buddy who brags on all the new vehicles he gets all the time for work. My work vehicle is 17 years old so I can pay my taxes for him to drive the newest muscle cars out there. I kinda want to tell him to STFU, really. My only recourse is to hope his next Druggie or Liquored up suspect, barfs in his back seat. Hahaha. Get the hose... enjoy the smell. So much for that nice new Charger. LOL.

Back