Breathalizer Observations

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
I like to enduldge in libations.

Having said that, I am keenly aware of, and do not approve of driving while drunk. I am also keenly aware of the penalty for our medical if you pick up a DUI. :eek:

Having said that, I bought a breathalyzer and have been using it for several months now to make sure when I drive I am legal. I have made several observations and would like to share one in particular that may save someone a lot of trouble.

The breathalyzer measures alcohol levels in your breath, not your blood. Only a blood test can measure accurate blood alcohol levels. The problem I have discovered is what you blow may be way more than your actual BAC. :yes:

Here is what we did. After a few drinks ( at home) we measured our BAC with the breathalyzer. I blew .075 and my wife blew .03. Party time! :happydance::cheers: Okay, back to the non-scientific test. We then each drank a glass of water and blew again. I was a .03 and my wife blew a .015. :hairraise:

The results of my very non scientific study is that our mouths, teeth, tongue, throat, can hold a lot of concentrated alcohol and by washing your mouth out with water will reduce the BAC number you blow. :yes:

So, make your last couple drinks water and you just might pass a breathalyzer test if you get pulled over for DUI. Obviously, I don't want you driving over .08 under any circumstances. Call a cab, call a friend, go home with the waitress, but do not get behind the wheel of a car.

This less than public service message brought to you by GEICO. :D

YMMV.

Last edited:
Next step: Buy a blood test machine and do some side by side comparisons. After a couple dozen runs under various scenarios, plot them out and give a full report.

Next step: Buy a blood test machine and do some side by side comparisons. After a couple dozen runs under various scenarios, plot them out and give a full report.

:rofl:

I pass out when they take blood. Every time. :redface: :yes:

Breathalyzer (the written test)

u408Y-WalkiR1PqWQYhmmUx6SXlmd-Kthl2IcQ11hc7c0N1rxP8_XBQEcE_TyqpF4wsznzLgKn6HSeEtHuyWk2t9YXmM60oN987WTSlWKk-PDniE5ngKnm8AaxK0CQp-96vB3KcUA7hEYTlEjAchkK4fBsrLxxc9KGp9VoAg_oI=s0-d-e1-ft

First of all understand, there is no such thing as a LEGAL LIMIT. .08 is only the per se limit where you are presumed to be intoxicated and they don't have to show other proof. You can very much be convicted by the states for DUI and hung out to dry by the feds for flying, with lesser amounts than the per se limits.

Did you actually read the instructions with your portable breath test? First off, those things are so unreliable, that they are NOT legal in court. This is why the police use a more accurate ones that aren't handheld. Second, contrary to your incorrect assertion, they expiratory alcohol does come from your bloodstream. If you haven't contaminated the sample by having alcohol in your mouth it's accurate enough to find you guilty. This is why they require a waiting period of observing you not drinking anything for 20 minutes in most cases.

No driving after drinking and certainly no flying after drinking.

We bought one of those for $20 at Costco. Would I trust it to accurately measure my BAC, no? Is it fun at parties, YES!

First of all understand, there is no such thing as a LEGAL LIMIT. .08 is only the per se limit where you are presumed to be intoxicated and they don't have to show other proof. You can very much be convicted by the states for DUI and hung out to dry by the feds for flying, with lesser amounts than the per se limits.

Did you actually read the instructions with your portable breath test? First off, those things are so unreliable, that they are NOT legal in court. This is why the police use a more accurate ones that aren't handheld. Second, contrary to your incorrect assertion, they expiratory alcohol does come from your bloodstream. If you haven't contaminated the sample by having alcohol in your mouth it's accurate enough to find you guilty. This is why they require a waiting period of observing you not drinking anything for 20 minutes in most cases.

No driving after drinking and certainly no flying after drinking.

I'll bet you are a real buzz killer at a party. :rofl::rofl: ;)

I've read all of the instruction, and you are right you are suppose to wait 20 mins. I was just making an observation playing with the thing. It certainly would not hurt to drink a few glasses of water before climbing behind the wheel.

I drive better drunk anyway. :stirpot:

Our sheriff's office requires that each breathalyzer be calibrated each month.

"Officer! Hic. I'm calibrating the breathalyzer!"

add to test: drink, bite of onion then blow. Report back to board.

Back