breast cancer - grounded?

U

Unregistered

If a woman is diagnosed w/ breast cancer can she still legally fly with a 3rd class medical? After the surgery and the doctor's release to return to normal/strenuous activities can she still fly?

Her mind and arms and feet still work.

First thing is tell this woman that I'm happy it looks like she kicked this ****ty disease in the ass. Cancer Sucks more than the Taliban.

As for the grounding thing, please take Bruces or another AMEs say so over mine but as I recall the grounding issue in Cancer is a potential metastisies to the brain that could cause a seizure or loss of conciousness. IIRC there are certain tests and waiting periods that must be observed prior to acting as PIC again.

Again wait for an AME's comment before taking any action.

Cancer is absolutely grounding upon diagnosis. After that, I'm pretty sure it's a Special Issuance situation. Bruce will have the details on return to status.

If the woman is flying more for recreation than any other reason, I would suggest taking up gliders. Fun stuff!

Best of luck to the woman!

If the woman is flying more for recreation than any other reason, I would suggest taking up gliders.
The fact that one does not need a medical certificate to fly gliders does not necessarily mean one can fly gliders despite having a condition known to be disqualifying for a medical certificate.
14 CFR 61.53 said:
(b) Operations that do not require a medical certificate. For operations provided for in Sec. 61.23(b) of this part, a person shall not act as pilot in command, or in any other capacity as a required pilot flight crewmember, while that person knows or has reason to know of any medical condition that would make the person unable to operate the aircraft in a safe manner.
Now, does the subject's breast cancer constitute a medical condition that would make the person unable to operate [a glider] in a safe manner"? I certainly don't know, and I suspect it all depends on the medical details and extent/stage/status of the disease, but it's something the individual must consider before acting as PIC of a glider.

She just finished her private pilot cert and simply wants to fly... she isn't interested in gliders in the least.... so, the question is what kinds of medical follow up will be required after she's cleared from surgery to allow her to fly again?
MRI showing that she's cancer free? - she's quite fit other than the cancer

She just finished her private pilot cert and simply wants to fly... she isn't interested in gliders in the least.... so, the question is what kinds of medical follow up will be required after she's cleared from surgery to allow her to fly again?
MRI showing that she's cancer free? - she's quite fit other than the cancer
Wait for Bruce -- he will be along, and he will have the right answer.

Cancer is absolutely grounding upon diagnosis. After that, I'm pretty sure it's a Special Issuance situation. Bruce will have the details on return to status.

Wait for Bruce for the details, but SIs do exist. I'm on one now and see the AME again next month (every year for 5 years). Find out what you need and how to handle it. Follow Bruce's instructions to the letter. Worked like gangbusters for me. Bruce is the man.

And in the meantime - there's no reason she can't fly. She just can't act as PIC. She can go up with a CFI, or fly with another pilot who is acting as PIC. Please, if she's going to fly from the left seat, be sure the acting PIC in the right seat is comfortable/competent to fly there - it IS different and that there's no insurance or rental agreement fine print being violated.

I know quite a few pilots who kept proficient while getting their medical ducks in a row this way. I'm always happy to act as PIC for someone in this situation for free provided that the insurance covers me.

The correct answer, for getting a special issuance depends on the the presentation and current stage of the cancer. FAA (heck and most aviators) are concerned with sudden incapacity. For this disease, that would me a silent brain metastasis that lets us know it's there with an in-opportunly timed seizure.

I'd need to know the initial presentation, Estrogen receptor status, what was done (what was positive, what was negative).

....whether or not the chest was positive, regardless of nodes.
....whether or not there is residual disease and in what location relative to the initial lump this residua lies.....

Sigh. Yes some can get the special year-by year issuance, but some cannot. It all "depends".

And in the meantime - there's no reason she can't fly.

I made this comment in a similar thread on another forum. It's a grand time to look to the future; e. g. additional ratings. It's sure to help her mental outlook as well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back