Bread Loaf Ends (And other money saving tips)

janikpilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
janikpilot
I recently splurged and bought myself peanut butter at the supermarket today. In college that's a big deal.

So today I made myself a peanut butter sandwich with the ends of the loaf of bread. You know, the weird part nobody eats. And that got me thinking, is there any other uses for those? Or do most people just throw them away?

And while we're at it, any other tips for saving money on food/in college?

I love the ends! I eat them just like I would any other slice of bread.

The ends are the best slices!

When I was in college, we organized our recipes by the time it took to prepare and eat. Handy when you have a night class.

As for a quick, cheap meal, brown some hamburger, add some water and a package of onion soup mix, boil it down, add a can of corn or peas, serve over rice. (20-30 minutes. Less if you pre-cook the meat and throw it in the freezer.))

[Avoid Ramen Noodles, you'll get enough of those when you try to live as a CFI.]

maruchan-soup-ramen-noodle-55210.jpg

The ends are the best slices!

When I was in college, we organized our recipes by the time it took to prepare and eat. Handy when you have a night class.

As for a quick, cheap meal, brown some hamburger, add some water and a package of onion soup mix, boil it down, add a can of corn or peas, serve over rice. (20-30 minutes. Less if you pre-cook the meat and throw it in the freezer.))

[Avoid Ramen Noodles, you'll get enough of those when you try to live as a CFI.]

That almost sounds like a sheppard's pie minus the pie!

Ramen is good, but I agree I'll get enough of those after CFI training.

First money saving food tip is don't eat out! :D Second is make friends with someone who's parents live close by, moms love to cook for their kids college friends! Try to buy stuff as you need it, to make sure it doesn't go bad, especially meats, fruits and vegetables. Beer is not food. Store brands are fine.
Make friends with charter pilots, beg of the leftover catering! ;)

In my college days, we'd frequent a Schlotzsky's down the street from our dorm. They didn't enforce the under-12 rule for childrens' meals, so we'd get a personal cheese pizza, a cookie, and a tiny soft drink (unlimited refills so no problem!) for $2.15 out the door.

If you don't like the crusts, put the ends crust side in on a sandwich. I use them for grilled cheese this way...and no, I don't use or recommend an iron for cooking that.

I'm trying to remember what we ate in college.

Pasta with homemade marinara sauce
hamburgers, other frozen meat product patties.
lots of frozen stir fry packs.
granola, fruits, yogurts

I'm trying to remember what we ate in college.

Beer and popcorn...and ramen was a dime on sale...

I still eat the ends of a loaf of bread - no waste

My college eatin large meal was to get a pound of ground beef then make Sloppy Joes with the $99 seasoning packet...then make a box of cheap-o Kraft Macaroni and Cheese...take the two when done and mix together! Got several good meals outta that.

Also works well with taco seasoning packets rather than sloppy joes.

My college eatin large meal was to get a pound of ground beef then make Sloppy Joes with the $99 seasoning packet...then make a box of cheap-o Kraft Macaroni and Cheese...take the two when done and mix together! Got several good meals outta that.

Also works well with taco seasoning packets rather than sloppy joes.

that better be some damn good seasoning :). :rofl:

Sloppy joes is definitely a cheap and easy college meal. Quite tasty too

Last edited:
Ramen noodles,beer by the keg. All you can eat buffets,and salad bars.

First money saving food tip is don't eat out! :D Second is make friends with someone who's parents live close by, moms love to cook for their kids college friends! Try to buy stuff as you need it, to make sure it doesn't go bad, especially meats, fruits and vegetables. Beer is not food. Store brands are fine.
Make friends with charter pilots, beg of the leftover catering! ;)

Best suggestion yet....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

...Second is make friends with someone who's parents live close by, moms love to cook for their kids college friends! ...

agreed....never pass up a free meal. I learn't that myself when I was in college and hungry.

agreed....never pass up a free meal. I learn't that myself when I was in college and hungry.

I don't think I've ever passed up a free meal. Heck, do you know how many club meetings I've gone to that I'm not a member of just for the food? :lol:

Cici's pizza is all you can eat. If you go for lunch and get there around 11, you can sit and stuff yourself with mostly carbs for 2-3 hours before they ask you to leave.

Cici's pizza is all you can eat. If you go for lunch and get there around 11, you can sit and stuff yourself with mostly carbs for 2-3 hours before they ask you to leave.
My boys can get thrown out in about an hour! :D My oldest son would walk in and they would start making his favorite pizza for him, while he grazed the buffet line! :D

I recently splurged and bought myself peanut butter at the supermarket today. In college that's a big deal.

So today I made myself a peanut butter sandwich with the ends of the loaf of bread. You know, the weird part nobody eats. And that got me thinking, is there any other uses for those? Or do most people just throw them away?

And while we're at it, any other tips for saving money on food/in college?

:confused: People throw away the heels? If you get good bread the heels are the best part, I'll stab you with a fork at a restaurant for the last one if they're good.:lol:

When I was in college, peanut butter was a staple! Kroger used to sell it in 5 lb plastic tubs. Goes great on bananas and apples as well as making sandwiches.

Had a contest with some friends to see who could buy the cheapest box of macaroni. It wasn't good, but the next cheapest was. We lost a whole 11 cents on the winning box that we couldn't eat.

A good, cheap cold weather meal for one: put 1/2 cup of rice in a 1 quart pot, add water twice as deep as the rice, put the lid on crooked and cook until the rice is done. Open a can of chili, dump into the pot and stir until everything is warm you can eat straight from the pot, using crackers as spoons. Quick, easy, cheap, minimal clean up. ☺️

Or put some macaroni noodles on to cook (from a box of noodles, not "and cheese"), then cook some hamburger. Drain the noodles, dump into the hamburger meat, add a can of tomato sauce and spice with whatever you have available.

Buy canned tuna when it's on sale. Put mayo on two slices of bread, drain a can of tuna and put half the can on each slice of bread. Add a second slice of bread to hold it all together.

Eating cheap isn't fancy, and need not be hard. My weekly meal out was Wendy's for Sunday dinner . . .

One of my many jobs as a young guy was at Der Weinerschnitzel and we used to have a 5 dogs for a buck after 9PM mon-thur. Mustard dog, ketchup dog, or relish dog. Man, I got so sick of hot dogs, once I left there, I never want to eat another dog again. I had students come in from 901PM through 11PM every night.

When I was in college, peanut butter was a staple! Kroger used to sell it in 5 lb plastic tubs. Goes great on bananas and apples as well as making sandwiches.

Had a contest with some friends to see who could buy the cheapest box of macaroni. It wasn't good, but the next cheapest was. We lost a whole 11 cents on the winning box that we couldn't eat.

A good, cheap cold weather meal for one: put 1/2 cup of rice in a 1 quart pot, add water twice as deep as the rice, put the lid on crooked and cook until the rice is done. Open a can of chili, dump into the pot and stir until everything is warm you can eat straight from the pot, using crackers as spoons. Quick, easy, cheap, minimal clean up. ☺️

Or put some macaroni noodles on to cook (from a box of noodles, not "and cheese"), then cook some hamburger. Drain the noodles, dump into the hamburger meat, add a can of tomato sauce and spice with whatever you have available.

Buy canned tuna when it's on sale. Put mayo on two slices of bread, drain a can of tuna and put half the can on each slice of bread. Add a second slice of bread to hold it all together.

Eating cheap isn't fancy, and need not be hard. My weekly meal out was Wendy's for Sunday dinner . . .

I never used to pay for peanut butter, the church/food banks would give away USDA 'government peanut butter' in big plastic tubs that was really good peanut butter.

The heels make great garlic bread. Spaghetti and Ramen come to mind from my college days.

I save the heels for last. They help keep the regular slices from drying out too quickly when you close the plastic bag back up. Then when the loaf is all done, the heels get used to make a melted cheese & ham sandwich. :goofy:

I save the heels for last. They help keep the regular slices from drying out too quickly when you close the plastic bag back up. Then when the loaf is all done, the heels get used to make a melted cheese & ham sandwich. :goofy:

you could afford ham in college? Cheese? well, sort of, it was the processed cheese product that sold for 24 slices/buck

One of my many jobs as a young guy was at Der Weinerschnitzel and we used to have a 5 dogs for a buck after 9PM mon-thur. Mustard dog, ketchup dog, or relish dog. Man, I got so sick of hot dogs, once I left there, I never want to eat another dog again. I had students come in from 901PM through 11PM every night.

In New York City, you can sometimes get free or very cheap hot dogs from street vendors when they're ready to close down for the day if the vendor doesn't own the stand. But they won't come with a bun. The buns are inventoried. The hot dogs aren't.

You can often get free soft ice cream from a truck the same way (but again, without a cone or cup). Soft ice cream must be discarded at the end of the day and the machine sanitized, so at the end of their shifts, vendors will often give what remains to anyone who asks for it and has a suitable container. But the cups, cones, and trays are inventoried.

During the warmer months, church picnics are easy places to get free eats. Many church folks are genuinely generous, and the ones who aren't pretend to be when they're with the ones who are.

Rich

I always head for NYC when I want to save money on eats. :yesnod:

Just funnin' with ya! Sounds like a nice deal.

Lunch time in Hell's Kitchen is one of the best deals in gastronomy I have found in the world.

White Castle could pull it off, nobody can eat 20 of them.

I grew up in the South, and we had a White Castle equivalent called Krystal.

Good 2am after-drinking burgers. There's a reason everybody called them "sliders" because they slid going down, and they slid coming out.

I love the little burgers, though. Every time I visit family in the South, I gotta go to Krystal a few times and get my little burger fix. A sackful of Krystals with fries and some chili...good ole comfort food!

When I was in flight school I would go to the local homeless shelter to eat. Man.... it was like Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinner all in one meal. I mean turkey, dressing, gravy, ham and side dishes and all I could eat.

I just had to dress down a little, park my car down the block and walk in.

And the desert table was loaded with everything.

I would just waddle out of there and not have to eat for a day or so.

I save the heels for last. They help keep the regular slices from drying out too quickly when you close the plastic bag back up.

Yup. I pop the heels into the toaster and then spread them with peanut butter. Nice snack!

:rofl::lol::D:):yes::rofl::rofl::goofy::rofl::lol::D:):yes::rofl::rofl::goofy:

Bread is just flour,salt, water, and yeast. Try making it. Made enough veggie sliders to feed us for a week solid using $5 worth of ingredients (including the slider buns I bought).

Really serious about saving money on food? Make your own and cut out the meat.

I make my own bread in a bread machine........
The heels are the first thing eaten.... With LOTS of butter... MMMMM..:)

I make my own bread in a bread machine........
The heels are the first thing eaten.... With LOTS of butter... MMMMM..:)

I used to make my own honey wheat in the bread machine, then the machine died and I haven't bought another one. Maybe I need to start again, that bread is good!

I make a one pound loaf of bread just about every week. I have a machine because I have a job, college students have nothing but time and lots of muscles and young energy, bread making is easy, just takes a lot of work.

I haven't made bread this week because over the weekend I made crackers.

Heels are the best part of the loaf. I think most any crock pot/slow cooker type meal is a good money saver in college. Sure, it may run $8-$15 for ingredients, but you can make enough in one batch to feed you for a week. Potato soup, beans & ham, pot roasts, chili, etc all can be pretty much just tossed in the crock pot and left to cook. Potato soup being about the most labor intensive due to that whole potato-peeling thing, lol.

Back