brake fluid all over the hangar floor

muleywannabe

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cherokee235
I walked in yesterday and there was brake fluid all over the floor from the left brake line I assume.

Do you think it is just an o-ring that finally quit? I have not had the time yet to take it apart or un-tighten but where would I get the o-ring to fix it?

also, what brake fluid would you run in there as well brand wise I mean, I know you have to run 5606?

do you have to bleed the brakes or can the o-ring be replaced and then fill up the brake fluid back into the lines and pump the brakes to build the pressure?

Last edited:
I walked in yesterday and there was brake fluid all over the floor from the left brake line I assume.

Do you think it is just an o-ring that finally quit? I have not had the time yet to take it apart or un-tighten but where would I get the o-ring to fix it?

also, what brake fluid would you run in there as well brand wise I mean, I know you have to run 5606?

do you have to bleed the brakes or can the o-ring be replaced and then fill up the brake fluid back into the lines and pump the brakes to build the pressure?
A line might be cracked, a hose gone bad, or something else. 5606 is 5606, there's no brand issue. More likely than not, the brakes will need to be bled.

This situation makes me wonder if 5606 is as efficient paint stripper as dot 3 brake fluid is.

Call a mechanic. Clearly you're not qualified to fix it. No shame in that. There IS shame in doing it wrong and having one brake fail while moving.

Call a mechanic. Clearly you're not qualified to fix it. No shame in that. There IS shame in doing it wrong and having one brake fail while moving.

Yup.. To quote a line is a good movie...." RIGHT TURN CLYDE"

This. As an owner, you may replenishing hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic reservoir, but you are not permitted to make repairs to the brake system. If there is a puddle of fluid there is something wrong. Work with the mechanic to figure out what happened, but you'll need him to sign the logs.

DOT 3 (or 4 for that matter) is much much better paint remover than Mil H 5606. I believe Skydrol is the best though.........

Did you try operating the brakes? If this is on a Cherokee the hydraulic oil could also be coming from the strut, which would be my guess on its origin without seeing the plane.

Either way, I'd have your mechanic take a look at it.

If you've never taken the brakes apart,or serviced the fluid,don't start now. Could be the o ring around the pick,could also be a crack in the line. Both are an easy fix.

This situation makes me wonder if 5606 is as efficient paint stripper as dot 3 brake fluid is.

No, 5606 is just a petroleum based hydraulic fluid. It will make a sticky mess, but it will take greasy fingerprints out of oxidized paint.

Where it is leaking from you have to determine, but if you fill the brake fluid by pumping it up through the bleed tap on the caliper, the bleeding process will be minimal. Unless of course it's a PA-28, then it's a 2 pedal, 1 handle dance for 20 minutes to get them bled clear.:rolleyes:

When my brakes are a lil low on fluid I like to sump a slurp of good ol' 100LL from da wing via Jeppesen fuel tester and dribble in the master cylinders. Don't worry about spilling it because it evaporates quickly and smells magnificent.

Last edited:
When my brakes are a lil low on fluid I like to sump a slurp of good ol' 100LL from da wing via Jeppesen fuel tester and dribble in the master cylinders. Don't worry about spilling it because it evaporates quickly and smells magnificent.

In a pinch, nearly anything that won't foam, boil, or freeze, on that flight will work. DOT-3 OTOH will swell all the o rings and seals in the system (except the leather ones).

In a pinch, nearly anything that won't foam, boil, or freeze, on that flight will work. DOT-3 OTOH will swell all the o rings and seals in the system (except the leather ones).

Makes you wonder how many airplanes have been contaminated by unaware owner/pilots.

In aircraft there is vegetable oil, mineral oil and phosphate ester based hydraulic fluid. That's pretty much it as far as I know. They come in all different parts numbers, manufacture brands etc.

Last edited:
Unless of course it's a PA-28, then it's a 2 pedal, 1 handle dance for 20 minutes to get them bled clear.:rolleyes:

I bought clear plastic tubing, connected it to the bleed nipple on the caliper on one end and stuck the other end in the reservoir. Pump until until ya see no air in the lines...just like you say: parking brake and left-n-right pedals on each side. My ankles would get tired.

Makes you wonder how many airplanes have been contaminated by unaware owner/pilots.

I rebuilt 2 master cylinders and calipers in in one plane due to DOT-3 in 2 years at a busy shop, so while they exist, I don't think that it's a big issue.

Back