brainstorming request: how to support a wire fence

Salty

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Salty
I want to run 50 feet of 2' high wire fencing across the front of my hangar. It needs to be very portable and easily moved / removed by one person. I tried attaching it to each end and a support in the middle, but 25 feet was way too long without additional support.

Any creative ideas?

Can you tell us the purpose? I'd be better able to advise if I knew what it needed to do for you.
I have personally installed a mile or two of field fencing (lots in rock) and tons of electric fence and have the elbow surgery to show for it.

Concrete floor, so no stakes.

It's to contain fairly well behaved pets, not to keep things out.

Disc with post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put eyebolts on each side of the opening, then run a cable across with a turnbuckle to tighten it. Then clip the top of the fencing to the eyebolts.

Is to span across the open hangar door or something sitting fully away from the structure?

I want to run 50 feet of 2' high wire fencing across the front of my hangar. It needs to be very portable and easily moved / removed by one person. I tried attaching it to each end and a support in the middle, but 25 feet was way too long without additional support.

Any creative ideas?
Schedule 40 PVC. Cut into 1 and 2 foot pieces. Make T’s using T’s. Zip tie the fencing to the upright of the now made upside down T’s. Put caps on the ends of the 1 foot base legs if you want take the wobble out. When it’s time to dismantle, cut the zip ties and take everything apart. Don’t glue anything unless your ok with keeping the T’s intact.

Put eyebolts on each side of the opening, then run a cable across with a turnbuckle to tighten it. Then clip the top of the fencing to the eyebolts.
Tried that, too difficult to move quickly.

Is to span across the open hangar door or something sitting fully away from the structure?
A straight 50 foot run across the front of the hangar

Right now I've got it in a circle but, it's in my way when working in the hangar. Spanning the front would keep the dogs in and I wouldn't have to jump it when going back and forth across the hangar. The straight span of 50 feet requires a crapload of tension, so the turnbuckle thing isn't practical. Doc's idea would probably work. 4 or 5 of those. Maybe.

Schedule 40 PVC. Cut into 1 and 2 foot pieces. Make T’s using T’s. Zip tie the fencing to the upright of the now made upside down T’s. Put caps on the ends of the 1 foot base legs if you want take the wobble out. When it’s time to dismantle, cut the zip ties and take everything apart. Don’t glue anything unless your ok with keeping the T’s intact.
I considered that, but I"m not sure it's sturdy enough.

What about some triangles made out of some angle that collapse down flat when not in use. Put a hook at the highest vertex that you loop the fence over. Fence takes up whatever space when not in use and the angles can sit on the shelf.

I considered that, but I"m not sure it's sturdy enough.

how about same idea with iron pipe as a frame and attach caster wheels on the bottom every few feet to make it easier or move and better supported?

Maybe a different approach, but what about a cable trolley which allows the pets to roam but keeps them restrained from getting past whatever distance you set? We have two of them in the backyard strung between sets of trees which effectively let our two dogs roam 50% of the backyard simultaneously without getting tangled up on anything or each other. Just a thought.

invisible fence

Cast a couple of small concrete blocks with a fence post or scrap wood or angle iron in them. Then use standard fencing wire to tie the hog wire on or go more permanent if you like.

Are we talking german shepards or chihuahuas?

Maybe a different approach, but what about a cable trolley which allows the pets to roam but keeps them restrained from getting past whatever distance you set? We have two of them in the backyard strung between sets of trees which effectively let our two dogs roam 50% of the backyard simultaneously without getting tangled up on anything or each other. Just a thought.
doesn't sound like a good idea in a hangar. Plus, they currently have the run of the back yard, and into the hangar. Just trying to keep them in the hangar and yard when the big door is open.

Considered invisible fence, but any solution would be a good deal of concrete to get under, not in my budget for this.

The PVC with fittings for feet sound good but kind of light. If it's at your personal property consider holes in the concrete then maybe the fencing used around pools to keep Darwin's kids out.

How about the construction warning fencing that is essentially plastic. Easy to roll up and That would be light enough to be held by PVC posts.

We used old disc from the farm and welded post on them. They were heavy enough they would stay put but could still move easy.

Another thing you could try is put a 2x4 on each side and sandwich panel in between for a base. Only being 2’ tall they should stand up on their own. Lay boards flat if you need a wider base. Make several panels like that and you can move them easy. Use top of panel as a handle.

Or use Doc’s stands and use plastic snow fence instead of metal. Depending on what size dogs you are trying to keep corralled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my first thought was a swimming pool child barrier (if it doesn't have to be wire. Much more flexible, light weight, and portable than wire..... but mine uses posts that stake into holes drilled into the deck...so no good I suppose..... but if there's no rule against it drilling several holes shouldn't be a big deal and easy enough to patch later....

hmm.....Might be cheaper and easier to hire a dog trainer for a few hours....

Considered invisible fence, but any solution would be a good deal of concrete to get under, not in my budget for this.
Does invisible fence have to be buried, or can it sit on top of the ground?

Make five simple wood frames out of 2x3s or something, each frame 2'x10'. Attach screen to each section and hinge them all together back to back so they fold accordian style. Or seven frames 8' wide, then they'll be a slight zigzag when pulled out 50' which may make it stand up better. Or whatever other dimension that works.

Does invisible fence have to be buried, or can it sit on top of the ground?
Ours was laid on top of the frozen grass for about 4wks until the frost went out. The puppy never strayed across it.

You would think a training collar and a strip of yellow barrier tape. Train them to cross only with a keyword. Thats how we get our dog out of the inviso fence once his collar is off. The training collar zap, unless you overdue it, is way less painful than the invisible fence collar. But all this takes time.

When I have the dog atvthe hangar I just tie him off if I get busy. Would be cool to have a quick barrier though.

How to secure a fence…I’m thinking fence posts? ;)

Seriously, the green metal stakes that are made to go with the fence is the right item. Maybe secure them in a bucket of concrete? Not sure the metal fence is the easiest to put up/take down.

the black plastic netting is easier to handle and you could roll it up to put it away. It can be secured with clothespins around something like bamboo in small concrete pots. I used the black netting in the garden this year pinned to wire supports.

getting fancy, I think of something that folds down forward toward the outside.

A coworker had a dog that learned to get close enough to the fence to cause the collar to buzz (but not shock) until the battery discharged and then he trotted out of the yard (I'd like to blame autocorrect for the typo... but I don't use it).

Last edited:
the black plastic netting is easier to handle and you could roll it up to put it away. It can be secured with clothespins around something like bamboo in small concrete pots. I used the black netting in the garden this year pinned to wire supports.

I agree with the lightweight flexible fencing option. I'd look at plastic snow fencing--it's a little more rigid than plastic netting, and might require fewer supports across the span.

It's probably not stocked much in Florida, but can easily be ordered. Here is one option: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-4-ft-x-50-ft-PVC-Snow-Fence-889220HD/204735543

Another non-standard option: what about some type of sports barrier netting that could be drawn across the opening as needed? I'm thinking something like a batting cage net/soccer goal net-type material strung across on a cable from the rafters near the hangar door opening or even just get buy the netting in a shorter height to string across waist-high. It wouldn't block the view out, would still let air flow freely, and would be easy to draw to the side like a shower curtain and stay out of the way. Just trying to think outside the box. Just checked my local CraigsList and there was a used 24'x50' heavy duty sports net for sale for under $100.

upload_2021-7-29_11-6-15.png

Last edited:
Another non-standard option: what about some type of sports barrier netting that could be drawn across the opening as needed? I'm thinking something like a batting cage net/soccer goal net-type material strung across on a cable from the rafters near the hangar door opening or even just get buy the netting in a shorter height to string across waist-high. It wouldn't block the view out, would still let air flow freely, and would be easy to draw to the side like a shower curtain and stay out of the way. Just trying to think outside the box. Just checked my local CraigsList and there was a used 24'x50' heavy duty sports net for sale for under $100.

View attachment 98735
You know, that's a cool idea. Might keep more crap out of the hangar too, although dust is the biggest issue, and it would help for that.

Three 10ft cattle/stock panels.

….and yes Invisible Fencing need not be buried, or even on the ground. Part of our loop is 2ft off ground strung along three strand barbed….. but it does require a LOOP - ? run along sides and back of hangar to accomplish this.

2' high? You guys are over thinking this... Traffic cones. Not toy ones, the real ones. They're just the right weight. You can clip it to those, and as a bonus you're less likely to run the prop through them by accident, because they're, well, orange.

Have to laugh, I was scrolling down through the thread and was going to suggest snow fence.

Back