Brainstorming High School Flight Classes

Ronbonjovi

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ronbonjovi
The school district that I work in dropped this bit of news today. I would assume it has a lot to do with the development of the Boeing plant down in Charleston and the small facility we have at Donaldson Center.

https://www.facebook.com/SchoolDistrictOfPickensCounty/posts/1471591136223769

But it got me thinking, how cool would it be to have a small flight school ran out of the career center (KLQK is 5 miles away) in addition with the Aerospace Enginnering courses and with Boeing. I know the young eagles program exists, but has anyone ran across a flight school program that is integrated with a school district or career center? Obviously students would have to apply and pay a portion per year. Right now I am 4 hours from finishing my PPL but will be pursuing IR, CPL, and CFI over the next couple years. I enjoy teaching history now but I think a program like this would be a dream job for me even if I only taught ground school. I could see a format with the first 2 years being strictly ground school and then their junior/senior year completing the flight training. Basically I would like to hear some of your ideas about this, or real life experience if you have witnessed a similar program. I have a lot of ideas myself but did not want to scare everyone off with a mile long post.

No doubt the lawyers will kill that thought right quick.

The flight school I work at partners with a specialized high school that’s basically a vocational school. It has music, art, aviation, mechanic, etc programs. The students get about 20 hours of training and lot of them soloed and went on to get their licenses while in the program. Some of the kids were very motivated. Others just used it as an excuse to get out of regular school. The kids that were motivated were great students and I loved teaching them. The 20ish hours are paid for by the school and they can choose to come on the weekends on after class and take more flight lessons with us. When they weren’t flying, they would basically be studying for the written test and it would be taught by a few teachers.

EAA has Young Eagle builds at many high schools nationwide.

That's not high school, dealing with minors.

We have a local vocational HS that has an Aviation school. My EAA chapter has a youth program. We accept youth age 14 and up into our program. The youth come out on Saturdays for 4 hours and work on three project airplanes we are building. They earn credits that can be applied toward plane rental with a local flying club and instructors in the club donate their time. We started the program two years ago and this year have some youth flying. We've had four solo since April 1st this year.

These youth worked all day Saturday at our B-17 event and took care of the boarding and unboarding of passengers.

One of the local EAA chapters here has a relationship with a large school district. It can be done.

Back