Boy did I ever crash my car!

I'm seldom forced to play in the traffic, but last week we got stuck in a 20-mile long string exiting Vancouver BC, both before and after clearing customs. It was interesting to watch the manic maneuvering by some drivers, and to note the number of times we passed some of them when the speed of travel varied from lane to lane.

I leave more gap than necessary because I like a little extra cushion don't want to exert as much effort, brake wear and concentration as is required to stay close to the car ahead.

I leave a big gap and if it fills, I just back off further. Nobody's getting across town any faster. A good stereo with tunes or an entertaining podcast is something to be enjoyed, why ruin it?

I leave a big gap and if it fills, I just back off further. Nobody's getting across town any faster. A good stereo with tunes or an entertaining podcast is something to be enjoyed, why ruin it?

That's just it, if you back off 2 seconds even 120 times in a commute, that's all of 4 minutes...:dunno:

My solution is my Dodge, for some reason hardly anyone pulls in front of a Magnum.

However when I drive my Satrun I can leave no more than 1.25 car lengths on surface streets, or some idiot will pull out and if I'm lucky I'll have time to dodge them, or use the raceing brake pads amd sticky tires to avoid desaster. Highway isn't a problem, everyone is too busy laughing at the econobox with a roll cage and numbers

My solution is my Dodge, for some reason hardly anyone pulls in front of a Magnum.

However when I drive my Satrun I can leave no more than 1.25 car lengths on surface streets, or some idiot will pull out and if I'm lucky I'll have time to dodge them, or use the raceing brake pads amd sticky tires to avoid desaster. Highway isn't a problem, everyone is too busy laughing at the econobox with a roll cage and numbers

Increase your distance to 2 seconds and they can pull into traffic in front of you and you won't need to hit the brake so hard if at all. Why not just leave room for people to pull into traffic in front of you?:dunno:

Problem is they wait untill I'm on top of them to pull out. Only thin worse has been towing heavy trailers between airports, nothing like having a car pull out in front of you at 50mph with less than 100ft to spare getting pushed by a trailer bigger than the truck while the idjit lazily accelerates.

You can even do it in heavy traffic. Heck, if you can get all the lanes abreast to have one line that will do it, you can get stop and go traffic jams smoothly flowing at a low but steady speed within 10 minutes! It's the *******s that have to stand on the gas and slam on the brakes that keep everything ****ed up.
See it all the time around here... everybody's gotta bunch up, whether it's between lights, or piling up behind some dummy on the interstate who's scared to pass a slow truck to their right.
I dread my all-too-frequent trips on the state (4-lane)highway within Newark city limits... sitting looking at five green lights in a row, but no nearby traffic moving because everybody is bumper to bumper, as if that will get them somewhere quicker. Average delay to get going when the light changes is seven seconds; a lot more if there's more than four cars ahead of me. During the brutal evening rush, southbond through Newark on that road I average two light cycles for each block. There are dedicated turning lanes, and several intersections where tunrs are not even allowed... yet it's always the same. Zoom, stop, zoom, stop... bumper to bumper like stupid lemmings.

And don't you love the drivers who, because they see the left lane not as a passing lane, but a cruise-at-any-speed-you-dare lane, feel that the best strategy when they come up behind some sluggard doing only, say, 85 in the left lane is to get right up on their bumper, for miles and miles, even if they can easily pass them on the right? How often can you get away with that before you wind up slamming into somebody? It's interesting around here, especially on the highways leading west, because the PA drivers always cruise at exactly 65 in the left lane, no matter what... and NJ and NY drivers see that lane as their personal Autobahn.
I have no problem giving up the left lane to such nimrods... provided I have somewhere to go. WTF do they expect you to do when you're already pushing 90 and there's bumper-to-bumper traffic to the right?

Only place I will not back off is in a toll plaza. Try to be reasonable at any NYC area toll plaza during peak hours and you will simply never get through. It's WAR. And the ones who will stay neck and neck with me, leaning on the horn and cursing, until there's just not enough room for two cars, are always the a-holes who sneak ahead in a closed lane, or the shoulder, or a lane for which they don't have the exact change/EZPass/whatever. I've driven in LA, SF and Chicago at rush hour, and never seen anything quite like it... but every time I'm on the road around here, some jackass takes my breath away. It's amazing. Okay, I forgot Boston... Boston is a special case. Around here we call Boston-area drivers "Mass-holes"... :D

Speaking of which, just today I was at a stop sign-controlled, one-lane onramp to a six-lane freeway (way too many of those in NJ), waiting for a break in the bunched-up 75-mph traffic in the right lane, when this dumbass in a SUV comes up the ramp and squeezes alongside me on my left, completely blocking my view. This fellow was obviously on some sort of high-priority mission, like every damn driver in this area. He was not even looking at me- he was just gonna go as soon as a hole came up. I had to inch forward until I was almost in the freeway lane, so I could see... and yes, he followed me a little, damn him! Those stop sign onramps are bad enough when you can see... this was outrageous.

Another day on the road, another gray hair... sigh.

Stop signs on freeway on ramps should be illegal they are so bloody stupid. When I lived in SoCal I lived a bit west of KLGB in an area that unless I was going to Palos Verdes, I had to funnel by the LGB airport. I so loved having my plane, I never drove past it. If I was going somewhere, I'd fly there, even if it was the 4 minute flight to Fullerton to go to Aircraft Spruce. Newport Beach? Call my buddy to get me at John Wayne. If I was going anywhere I was basically going to see someone so it made it super convenient.

Problem is they wait untill I'm on top of them to pull out. Only thin worse has been towing heavy trailers between airports, nothing like having a car pull out in front of you at 50mph with less than 100ft to spare getting pushed by a trailer bigger than the truck while the idjit lazily accelerates.

It's a SmartCar man, cut 'me some slack. They forgot to feed the hamster this morning.

4b94241c-fbe7-7d31.jpg

Back