Boy did I ever crash my car!

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
Steering rod broke on my little MR2 convertible, sending it into an uncontrollable spin on the freeway. Crashed against a jersey wall, wound up pointed backwards with the tail of the car smacked up on the concrete.

Ouch! One less MR2 in the world. My husband has a 1992 one that he adores! What year was yours?

Bent up sheet metal can always be replaced. Glad to hear Mrs. Steingar didn't have to come ID you.

Steering rod broke on my little MR2 convertible, sending it into an uncontrollable spin on the freeway. Crashed against a jersey wall, wound up pointed backwards with the tail of the car smacked up on the concrete.

OUCH!! From your description, no one hurt? Repairable?

Gary

Better check to see if it was tampered with... Republicans stop at nothing...:goofy:

Losing control on the freeway is a scary thought. Glad to hear you are alright!

Think of it this way!

MR2 Convertible $12,000
Tow Truck removal $ 350
Avoiding Serious Injury PRICELESS!!!

Yikes!

Glad you're telling us, and not someone else!

Wow Michael, scary! I trust you would have mentioned if anyone was hurt, so I'm VERY glad that all escaped injury-free!

Glad you are OK. Fill out that NASA report today.

:yikes: Wow! REALLY glad you weren't hurt. Makes you think maybe cars should have mandatory annual inspections.

Thanks all. Mine is (at least for the time being) a 2001 MR2 Spyder. It has made a couple appearances at Winwood, so it is no stranger to POA. Near as I can recall I went to change lanes when the world went totally haywire. Next thing I knew I was facing the wrong way on the freeway with a dead convertible.

I am fine, though a bit worse for wear. To their credit, three difference people stopped to make certain I was all right. My thanks were profuse. As much as we complain, there are still upright folks out there.

A police cruiser showed up eventually. The officer asked if I was OK, then got in his car and talked on his official police cell phone. Still I was glad the cruiser was there. The stricken convertible was diagonal and cattywupus in the breakdown lane, so it wasn't the safest situation.

One good thing about cell phones. Car pointed the wrong way on the feeway, the police find out about it quick.

I don't know if my cherished convertible will return to me. It is elderly, thus not worth a lot, and rare. And quite damaged, a sudden deceleration by concrete from the officially sanctioned speed limit of 65 mph will leave a mark.

Sorry to hear.

Did the rod itself break or was it rod ends?

Usually the ends get worn out and you notice before it breaks due to all the slop. Rod breakage is rare.. perhaps it was corrosion

Wow, glad you're okay! Hardware failure resulting in LoC has to be one of the scariest rides to be on.

Missed in pre-flight inspection? :rofl:

Thank Odin you're alright!! But sorry about the MR2 ... I've always been a fan. :eek: :) :( (many emotions)

Glad you're fine. that was a hairy few moments as you spun out of control.

UGH! :hairraise: What a not-so-good way to start a new semester! :nono: I'm very happy to hear you made it through relatively (physically) unscathed. Your car can be replaced (and it might be fun for you to do that now!) but you can't be. Were you on your way to work?? Today is Christopher's first day of his new semester... just curious as to how your teaching schedule compares.

Glad you're okay. Didn't mean to make light of your accident. I do know how the MR2 drivers feel about their cars. :)

I presummed you were fine based on writing the posting. Not many people would think to go to PoA if they were seriously injured. Hope your insurance company pays out a fair amount.

I doubt I would have posted had I tubes and whatnot coming out of my fat little ugly body. I am a bit neurologically dysfunctional, having trouble focusing on much of anything. That too shall pass.

I don't know if my cherished convertible will return to me. It is elderly, thus not worth a lot, and rare. And quite damaged, a sudden deceleration by concrete from the officially sanctioned speed limit of 65 mph will leave a mark.

The insurance company will try to get you to settle for blue book value. You have a right to receive comparable replacement cost, which is often much more.

Glad to hear you survived. It would get boring in the SZ without you.

Sounds like it was a fun ride, I always love it when things break and I go for the ride, time slows down and I think, "hmmm, this'll be interesting, let's see if I can get it to glance off..." whatever it is I'm aiming at, or occasionally it's been, "this is gonna hurt..." :rofl: Glad you aren't writing it from a hospital bed. Have fun car shopping. Consider switching brands to the Honda S2000?

The insurance company will try to get you to settle for blue book value. You have a right to receive comparable replacement cost, which is often much more.

Glad to hear you survived. It would get boring in the SZ without you.

Depends on what state you live in, auto policies though are rarely 'replacement value' policies unless you go through a specialty insurer. Every standard auto policy is an ACV, actual cash value, policy. The negotiation comes in proof of prior condition and mileage where you can show the ACV of your particular car is above that of Blue Book. You can also use the Yellow Book(NADA) retail value or an independent appraiser.

Last edited:
Glad Mrs. Steingar isn't a widow. Glad you are OK too. :)

May I echo others and say that I'm very glad you are ok and no one was hurt. Hopefully you won't be too stiff and sore the next few days.

I was thinking about airplanes, experimental aircraft, maintenance, cars, and inspections as I drove back from Minnesota yesterday.

As I was between several other multi ton objects, all of us traveling at high levels of speed with much energy, for hours on end..It started to amaze me that more people aren't killed from random steering or structural issues with vehicles given the fact that the majority of the population doesn't fix anything until it breaks...

Glad to hear you're still in one piece - you can continue to write and preach The Book of Steingar:)

Back when I was 18, I did the spin out on the highway and crash into the median thing too. I clipped the right front corner of a tractor trailer. Thinking about it later, I believe we both changed into the same lane at the same time. Skidded through three lanes of traffic on the NYS Thruway during rush hour :yikes:.

I can still clearly remember the grill of that truck pressed against the left side of my car as I'm sliding sideways at about 70 mph. I can also clearly remember the sound of tires squealing and the smell of the rubber burning as I started sliding and then spinning. It all happened in slow motion. Finally there was metal crunching and glass shattering as I hit the median. Gives me chills just thinking about it.

Somehow I walked away without a scratch, but the car was totaled. The state trooper gave me a ticket for "unsafe lane change" :mad2:. Scary stuff. Glad you're ok.

Back