Bourbon; hey, this is good.

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
I am a Scotch drinker. I love a good quality single malt, or blend Scotch. I have a bottle of Jack Daniels that has been collecting dust for years. I never considered myself a bourbon drinker.

Until last week.

I was in Ocoee TN and stopped into a liquor store where they were pouring samples of Chattanooga 1816 Bourbon. The 1816 Cask, (113.6 proof) was really good. I bought a bottle, but now I wish I bought a case. I am home and can't buy it here. I checked online and it said "coming soon". I guess I got an early release. I wish I could get more.

So, what are your favorite bourbons?

lol! You're in Tennessee now. They drink Jack! :)

Bourbon can be good, but I prefer Scotch. My main issue with bourbon is that in order to be called boubon it has to meet a number of different requirements. This makes most of them have very similar flavors. While Scotch has a lot of variety. Different brands, different regions, different bottles, etc.

As for Jack, the only think I like about it is that it makes a really good Whisky Sour.
1 lemon
1 lime (not standard, but Ina Uses it in her recipe and it actually tastes really good)
3 oz Jack Daniels
1.5 oz simple syrup
Shake and serve over ice. Cherry optional.

...As for Jack, the only think I like about it is that it makes a really good Whisky Sour.
1 lemon
1 lime (not standard, but Ina Uses it in her recipe and it actually tastes really good)
3 oz Jack Daniels
1.5 oz simple syrup
Shake and serve over ice. Cherry optional.

I'll have one of those minus the lemon, lime, syrup, ice and cherry.

I actually really like jack daniels
And that doesn't make you a lesser human being. Many people like Jack.

I don't, and because of that, I thought I didn't like any bourbon.
So I guess there really are always exceptions.

Evan for cheap bourbon. Smooth enough to sip on all evening...no pollutants desired.

I've sworn off Bourbon (long story) but found Jack a close second favorite to Maker's Mark..

Crown Royal Black label neat

I was a scotch drinker for many, many years and still enjoy it, but for the last four years or so I’ve been on a bourbon kick.

Some of the best value for flavor is Weller’s Reserve at ~$20. Old Forester is in there, as is Buffalo Trace. For a sweeter bent, try Basil Hayden’s.

Moving up in price point, Bulleit, Woodford Reserve, and Willett Family Reserve is on the money.

Special occasions being out EH Taylor and George T Stagg.

Beyond that is Buffalo Trace Antique Collection releases.

Personally, I think Buffalo Trace and it’s brands are best of breed right now.

There’s better out there, but not nearly as affordable.

Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve

Let's see, buy a new G5 for my plane or a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle...:skeptical:

I actually have three bottles of Pappy, two 10 year and one 12 that is partially gone. I only drink it on extra special occasions. From what I've heard, the 10 year is approaching 1k per bottle on the internet...again, that's what I've heard. I'll have to look into maybe selling one of my bottles if that is true.

Every day bourbon - Woodford reserve or Maker's 46.
Special occasions - Blanton's if I can find it.

Scotch - Balvenie Caribbean Cask or Dalwhinnie

edit: Grangestone has a Caribbean Cask as well that is pretty good and half the price of the Balvenie.

I prefer rye but occasionally drink bourbon. My fav right now (it changes) is Belle Meade, particularly the Cognac Cask Finish. Really good. At the moment I'm pouring a High West Double Rye. I like the other High West whiskies, too.

Is it strange that I envy people that can drink liquor. Just never had a taste for it.

To name a couple, but the list is long lol
Michters 10 year (or older) small batch
Woodford

Also...if you like bourbon, some of the rye whiskies are delicious!

I like my bourbon infused into dark chocolate, sugar and butter. If I had to pick a brand it would be Garrison Bros. I love the smell and taste of bourbon but strongly dislike alcohol both in taste and in what it does to me. But I sure do love the aromas and flavors of bourbon. Putting it into confections keeps feeding my true addiction: confections.:(

Is it strange that I envy people that can drink liquor. Just never had a taste for it.

No it isn't strange but not all liquor drinkers can drink liquor - if you know what I mean. Some drink to get drunk and for them, the crappy stuff (yes, I put Jack Daniels in that category) will do just fine. You probably envy those who can "hold their liquor" or in other words, know how to drink liquor.

Watershed. Locally distilled, the best bourbon I know. Mill St. comes in at a close second. Found a locally distilled rye in Maryland that’s the smoothest I’ve ever had.

I use swill like Maker’s Mark for culinary purposes. I do have good things to say about Woodford, just not as many as about the local boys.

I never did either. Then someone introduced me to a rum from Thailand that mixed with ginger ale was just wonderful. Tasted great. In fact I liked it too much, so I had to quit.

There's a tiny distillery in NY, Tuthilltown Distillery, maker of "Hudson Whiskey", that is known for their "Baby Bourbon". Supposed to be excellent but I haven't tried it, bourbon and I don't get along since a couple of unfortunate incidents back in my college days. But they also make a single malt and it's excellent, if a bit raw.

One of my co-workers is a scotch drinker but lately has been fond of Gentleman Jack.

This is interesting. Do any two people like the same bourbon?

There's a tiny distillery in NY, Tuthilltown Distillery, maker of "Hudson Whiskey", that is known for their "Baby Bourbon". Supposed to be excellent but I haven't tried it

They were doing a tasting of that at a liquor store around me, and it was very good. It is a bit different than your standard bourbons, which is what I liked about it. I keep debating buying a bottle, but I'm not sure it's worth the price to me.

Seems like that could be about as rare as two people liking the same airplane.

All this talk about scotch and bourbon, and not a single mention about a good cigar to pair with your drink. What are ya... a bunch of fricking amateurs?
cigar.png

I've always thought the best bourbons were the smoothest, in which case Woodford Reserve wins big time for most. If you haven't had it you should try it. If you ever get to my one horse town you should get the local brews. You'll be glad you did.

I did the entire Bourbon trail and I learned my favorite Bourbon is Basil Hayden. But usually I drink Angel's Envy. Cheap and a really good value.

The other thing is after completing the trail I discovered I really like Rye better than bourbon.

Let's see, buy a new G5 for my plane or a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle...:skeptical:

I actually have three bottles of Pappy, two 10 year and one 12 that is partially gone. I only drink it on extra special occasions. From what I've heard, the 10 year is approaching 1k per bottle on the internet...again, that's what I've heard. I'll have to look into maybe selling one of my bottles if that is true.

Every day bourbon - Woodford reserve or Maker's 46.
Special occasions - Blanton's if I can find it.

Scotch - Balvenie Caribbean Cask or Dalwhinnie

edit: Grangestone has a Caribbean Cask as well that is pretty good and half the price of the Balvenie.
Well, he did ask about "favorite"... ;)

Basil Hayden is good, and I do drink the Bowman bourbon when I make a trip down to the distillery (relatively local to me depending on traffic on I-95) to get it.

Notable that no one has claimed Wild Turkey as a favorite - nasty stuff.

Notable that no one has claimed Wild Turkey as a favorite - nasty stuff.

Actually, on the bourbon tour Wild Turkey had one bottle that I liked, it was called barrel proof. Basically open the barrel and bottle it, no blending, no adjustment.

Bookers!

....for that moment that you decide to stop ****ing around!

Nobody chose Blanton's? I'm surprised.

If you like Rye? Try Whistle Pig. I prefer the 10 year to the 12. The 10 year is pricey enough. Maybe not quite as good as Thomas Handy but more available and much more affordable!

Back