Bourbon & coke

Why would you mess up good Bourbon with Coke? Do you buy kobe beef and make hot dogs out of it too? :)

Bookers, straight up (or neat). The Old Rip bourbons and ryes are good to. Time change you say? Sure, I'll celebrate :)

Last edited:
Why would you mess up good Bourbon with Coke?

who said it was good bourbon?

Some of that stuff is rot gut..

but NEVER add anything to GOOD bourbon.

Actually, this is the painful one, but we do get an hour more of daylight, reason enough to celebrate.

you guys wasted the whole evening arguing while I was having a rare ol' time!
Now its spring break, a whole week with reason to celebrate!

Ok now that we have effected this time change, can we all agree to just LEAVE IT BE AND NOT F**K WITH THE TIME from here on out?

My platform is permanent daylight savings time. Bourbon tears my throat up, I generally opt for Jameson or a good single malt Scotch.

I lived in Bourbon country for a while. Remember the only real Bourbon is made in Kentucky, and the Scotch distillers buy the oak barrels after the first use by the Bourbon distillers so there always a little Bourbon in Scotch.

I'm no expert, but after a few Bourbon distillery tours, the general consensus for drinking good Bourbon is to just add a splash of rain water which enables the Bourbon to open up.

Not being a connoisseur, I do admit to adding ice to Bourbon instead of water. I have no problem people adding Coke or anything they want to Bourbon as long as it is not the "good stuff" on principal, but hey, it's their money. Drink it how ya like it.

Woodford Reserve and a few crushed ice cubes. Ahh, good bourbon. I worked in a liquor store while in college, tasted 'em all. Jameson with a splash of ginger ale is riteous if you're looking for a different whiskey.

Woodford Reserve and a few crushed ice cubes. Ahh, good bourbon. I worked in a liquor store while in college, tasted 'em all. Jameson with a splash of ginger ale is riteous if you're looking for a different whiskey.

If you're ever in Louisville, go into the Galt House and find your way to Jockey Silks

I've always considered Maker's Mark the official bourbon of aviation. It seems that Maker's gets the most talk amongst pilots. Although, we do have a bottle of Eagle Rare at the hangar for celebrating those "special" landings.

My favorite, like some others here is Woodford Reserve, but Makers Mark is a darn good bourbon also, and somewhat less expensive.

Rookies. :smilewinkgrin: I've ordered Woodford Reserve and found out it was the well drink. :) If you really like Bourbons, try some of the Old Rip Van Winkle offerings (Their Ryes are legendary and some are harder to obtain than aircraft parts). Bookers is good from the Jim Beam distillery strong but very good. Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel is an excellent one. Angels Envy excellent.

Canadian Whiskey is never acceptable, it's all blended... No wonder they're so.... :rofl:

Bookers, Bakers, Noah's Mill, Knob Creek, Basin Hayden, Rowan's Creek, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, all damn fine. Still prefer Woodford.

YMMV

Bookers, Bakers, Noah's Mill, Knob Creek, Basin Hayden, Rowan's Creek, 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, all damn fine. Still prefer Woodford.

YMMV

I don't like the aftertaste of Woodford. I do like Knob Creek and Makers Mark.

I was in Louisville 2 years ago on business, and had about 4 hours before I had to think about getting back to the airport. We found a great bartender at a nice, old downtown bar, and had a bourbon tasting. What an afternoon. I made a list of my preferred brands, and proceeded to lose it, probably at security. Damn, it was a fine list.

Actually, this is the painful one, but we do get an hour more of daylight, reason enough to celebrate.

I saw a similar phrase in the newspaper the other day and had to laugh. I'm pretty sure that we will get the same amount of daylight regardless of the change ;)

I saw a similar phrase in the newspaper the other day and had to laugh. I'm pretty sure that we will get the same amount of daylight regardless of the change ;)

Clearly this is contributing to Global Warming with all the extra sun, no?

I drink a better Bourbon like Knob Creek and Makers Mark straight but also enjoy the cheaper stuff in Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. No carbs for me and fortunately Bourbon has none. The cheaper stuff I enjoy is Evan Williams or Jim Beam. Jim Beam Devil's Cut is interesting stuff that I will drink straight on occasion. It is what is left in the wood after they drain the barrel and they somehow extract it.

I don't like the aftertaste of Woodford. I do like Knob Creek and Makers Mark.

I was in Louisville 2 years ago on business, and had about 4 hours before I had to think about getting back to the airport. We found a great bartender at a nice, old downtown bar, and had a bourbon tasting. What an afternoon. I made a list of my preferred brands, and proceeded to lose it, probably at security. Damn, it was a fine list.

Sounds like it's time to go back, and re-do the research... :idea:

I drink a better Bourbon like Knob Creek and Makers Mark straight but also enjoy the cheaper stuff in Coke Zero or Pepsi Max. No carbs for me and fortunately Bourbon has none. The cheaper stuff I enjoy is Evan Williams or Jim Beam. Jim Beam Devil's Cut is interesting stuff that I will drink straight on occasion. It is what is left in the wood after they drain the barrel and they somehow extract it.

I always wondered... how is it that bourbon has no carbs, when its made from corn? Must be because the sugars are gone, it's the alcohol only.

Rookies. :smilewinkgrin: I've ordered Woodford Reserve and found out it was the well drink. :) If you really like Bourbons, try some of the Old Rip Van Winkle offerings (Their Ryes are legendary and some are harder to obtain than aircraft parts). Bookers is good from the Jim Beam distillery strong but very good. Rock Hill Farms Single Barrel is an excellent one. Angels Envy excellent.

Canadian Whiskey is never acceptable, it's all blended... No wonder they're so.... :rofl:

I agree with the Angel's Envy, it's in the cabinet next to the Maker's 46, Woodford, the other bottle of Eagle Rare, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace and George Stag. I used to be a gin man up until a couple years ago. But I'm really enjoying sitting at the hangar and sipping down one of these new friends.

I always wondered... how is it that bourbon has no carbs, when its made from corn? Must be because the sugars are gone, it's the alcohol only.
I was also surprised as I didn't think that all of the sugar was consumed but apparently it is. Many liquors have high sugar content but not straight Rum, Bourbon, Vodka and Gin. There are about 80 calories in the alcohol in a shot so I can't overindulge.

What's that they say about it must be right if you read it. Highly educated media can't put two words together and come up with the correct meaning.
I'm pretty sure the time change allows us to have slightly more usable daylight since many of us don't roll out of bed until after 7AM.
And as to bourbon, I took a tour of Maker's and even "dipped" a couple of bottles which I have hidden in the cabinet. I have a couple of other bottles of Maker's in the house including their most recent special "46".
There's also a bottle of Knob Creek and Eagle Rare.
A friend does say Old Fitzgerald is the best she's ever had but I have not found it locally.
I drink my whisky (usually scotch or malt) neat though I have been convinced a few times to add a spot of water. It does change the taste. Besides, if you've ever toured a distiller, you would know they cut the alcohol with water before putting it in the bottle.

What's that they say about it must be right if you read it. Highly educated media can't put two words together and come up with the correct meaning.
I'm pretty sure the time change allows us to have slightly more usable daylight since many of us don't roll out of bed until after 7AM.
And as to bourbon, I took a tour of Maker's and even "dipped" a couple of bottles which I have hidden in the cabinet. I have a couple of other bottles of Maker's in the house including their most recent special "46".
There's also a bottle of Knob Creek and Eagle Rare.
A friend does say Old Fitzgerald is the best she's ever had but I have not found it locally.
I drink my whisky (usually scotch or malt) neat though I have been convinced a few times to add a spot of water. It does change the taste. Besides, if you've ever toured a distiller, you would know they cut the alcohol with water before putting it in the bottle.

Not all is cut.

OUCH!

Thanks. Didn't know there was one on the market. "They" may not cut it, but I'd be cutting it, or mixing it with 100LL for some additional thrust!

It's one of my favorites, I don't "really" cut it, Just pour it over some ice, still good when you get to the bottom. There are a few different cask strengths out there IIRC 127 proof is the max they can bottle it at and still call it bourbon, Each batch of Bookers is a different strength and they label what it is on the bottle.

Back