Bought a New Ram - No Thinking Required

Isn’t that somewhat typical among the Big Three? Dad owned a Chrysler that had a very similar issue. Like you say, it was also due to a bad module.

Haven't seen anything related to ABS issues with Ford or GM with a handful of each being owned over the past few decades. However, things that are common problems not being a recall is pretty much universal for every auto maker. No one wants a recall because that is a huge balance sheet liability. They will claim that it's normal operation or avoid calling it a widespread issue for as long as possible until they get past regulatory statute of limitations where they don't have to cover the parts cost. Then it'll be a TSB, lol.

4WheelParts (who I ordered the bumpers from) called Ranch Hand and they're handling my complaints well so far. They said Ranch Hand is drop shipping me the hardware I need (just sending me fresh kits for both front and rear bumpers) and they're submitting a claim with their shipping company for the damage to the bumper, and so I may get some money back. We'll see how this works out. But at least if I have the hardware I can get to installing things.

When the ABS warning goes off it kicks the truck out of cruise control. I had to get it fixed, it got so annoying. Hopefully this module last longer than the 50k the original did.

Looking at getting a full delete kit to keep in the garage. You can barely get parts for the def/egr systems now. It’s easier to ship a delete kit from Mexico or Canada to get the trucks running if one of those systems go down.

Last edited:
Yeah, the cruise control inop is very annoying worth that. But for how much I drive it these days, I’ve been able to live with it while I try to fix the system cheaper. :)

Me coming home with my new pickup: I'm not going to put a loud exhuast on this truck. I'm 40 now, I'm too mature for that kind of stuff.

Me two weeks later: under my truck with a sawzall....

What is it about pickups that you just can't leave them alone?

Yup..
Me: I don't want one of those jacked up Jeeps that can climb anything - I just want a 4WD vehicle that I can get through snow and mud to get to good hunting spots.
Me two months later: Hmm. I need to make sure I get the hardened cross-pin for the front locker before I install it and I should probably get some extended swaybar links before I put this 4" lift on.

Also me 15 years later:
Me: Ahh. This truck is exactly what I need. No need to tinker with it.
Me a year later: Let's see, I should probably get emissions done before I plug in this AFM override module and clamp the stupid exhaust value open.

Obviously I always have a need to tinker with things. That said, when I get it right and get something that just fulfills what I want it to do, it's really nice to enjoy that period where I can just use it and enjoy it. The RV, as an example, is essentially there. Yes, still projects to do on it and further upgrades and maintenance that will happen over time, but it's something that we now just get in, use, and enjoy.

This took longer than it should have, but bumpers installed!

upload_2022-10-9_20-43-53.png

upload_2022-10-9_20-44-36.png

In the end I'm happy with how it turned out.

Mostly, the hardest parts about the install were thanks to Chrysler. The front bumper bracket bolts are designed such that you have to cut them to remove them from the truck (or remove the radiator, intercooler, AC condenser, or some combination of the three). I chose the sawzall, although it wasn't exactly the easiest use of the tool.

The rear bumper is easy to remove, but the hitch is not, and you have to remove the stock hitch to install the bumper (which I think is a poor decision on Ranch Hand's part) and to do that you have to lift the rear of the bed. But the bumper also doesn't have a hitch, and you can't use the stock hitch. At least, they say you can't. I ended up cutting and welding in the stock hitch.

upload_2022-10-9_20-51-9.png

"That ain't going nowhere!" :)

This took longer than it should have, but bumpers installed!

View attachment 111334

View attachment 111335

In the end I'm happy with how it turned out.

Mostly, the hardest parts about the install were thanks to Chrysler. The front bumper bracket bolts are designed such that you have to cut them to remove them from the truck (or remove the radiator, intercooler, AC condenser, or some combination of the three). I chose the sawzall, although it wasn't exactly the easiest use of the tool.

The rear bumper is easy to remove, but the hitch is not, and you have to remove the stock hitch to install the bumper (which I think is a poor decision on Ranch Hand's part) and to do that you have to lift the rear of the bed. But the bumper also doesn't have a hitch, and you can't use the stock hitch. At least, they say you can't. I ended up cutting and welding in the stock hitch.

View attachment 111336

"That ain't going nowhere!" :)

I'm surprised they don't have a way to mount (or feed the existing hitch through) right above the step. Seems pretty low to be dragging a hitch around, but I guess most installations are on lifted rigs anyway.

I'm surprised they don't have a way to mount (or feed the existing hitch through) right above the step. Seems pretty low to be dragging a hitch around, but I guess most installations are on lifted rigs anyway.

As far as I can tell they are expecting most rigs to either be show queens or tow with 5th wheel hitches for anything serious. To be fair, I suppose I'm the oddball who uses a pintle ring instead of a gooseneck for my heavier hauling.

The hitch is lower than it was before, but it'll ultimately be fine. The truck sits fairly high stock in 4x4 trim. If it was 4x2 it probably wouldn't work as well, but you don't see as many of these bumpers on 4x2 trucks anyway.

As far as I can tell they are expecting most rigs to either be show queens or tow with 5th wheel hitches for anything serious. To be fair, I suppose I'm the oddball who uses a pintle ring instead of a gooseneck for my heavier hauling.

The hitch is lower than it was before, but it'll ultimately be fine. The truck sits fairly high stock in 4x4 trim. If it was 4x2 it probably wouldn't work as well, but you don't see as many of these bumpers on 4x2 trucks anyway.

Plenty of draw bar options to adjust the height back up as well if needed.

This will be a real good long term test of your welding proficiency.

Yes. However looking at what was on there initially and how I've got this set up, the forces should all be distributed well. I got all the surfaces cleaned and prepped properly, proper heat and speed, etc. That said, I'm going to do a good inspection after I tow the RX-7 to the track on Thursday and for the subsequent few tows.

Back