Bought a New Ram - No Thinking Required

I’ve never seen a Lightning concerted to a behind-the-axle exhaust. And all the Cobras have sidepipes, as do many Vipers, etc. of course those aren’t driven as many miles.

I was only referring to the standard 1/2 ton Fords. I looked up the TSB for it but didn’t bother checking anything else. Part of the reason I checked was because I thought it was actually a recall, turns out it was just a service bulletin.

Regardless, it was a very real trouble spot on those trucks. How it works out for you may be different.

Reactions: Ted
I was only referring to the standard 1/2 ton Fords. I looked up the TSB for it but didn’t bother checking anything else. Part of the reason I checked was because I thought it was actually a recall, turns out it was just a service bulletin.

Regardless, it was a very real trouble spot on those trucks. How it works out for you may be different.

Interesting and good to know. Part of why I did it this way was because it was cheap, easy, and easily reversible. Plus seemed the most likely to accomplish my goals.

I drove the Ram with the modified exhaust today for the first time. Not surprisingly, there doesn't appear to be any difference in volume from the driver's seat. If I stand next to the tailpipe when the truck is idling it does make a bit more of a rumble, but I think the overall dB level is still too low to be audible within the cab. Oh well. Not really surprised, but glad that I did the experiment the "cheap" way (and got the opportunity to practice welding) vs. spending hundreds of dollars on a pre-fabricated DPF-back exhaust that would have also made no difference.

I drove the Ram with the modified exhaust today for the first time. Not surprisingly, there doesn't appear to be any difference in volume from the driver's seat. If I stand next to the tailpipe when the truck is idling it does make a bit more of a rumble, but I think the overall dB level is still too low to be audible within the cab. Oh well. Not really surprised, but glad that I did the experiment the "cheap" way (and got the opportunity to practice welding) vs. spending hundreds of dollars on a pre-fabricated DPF-back exhaust that would have also made no difference.

All you need is a 6.5" hole saw and about 4' of 6" exhaust pipe. Take that 90* bend that is currently turned toward the front of the tire and turn it toward the sky then cut a hole in the bed for the pipe. You'll be rolling coal in no time! :D :D :D

All you need is a 6.5" hole saw and about 4' of 6" exhaust pipe. Take that 90* bend that is currently turned toward the front of the tire and turn it toward the sky then cut a hole in the bed for the pipe. You'll be rolling coal in no time! :D :D :D

Time for some stacks! (and a CB radio to talk with the big rigs). Also needs a set of truck nutz.

Make sure to screw up the fueling diagram so you can reduce the efficiency of your engine to a point that it makes plenty of soot.

Stacks on a pickup are stupid. :)

However, from the engineering perspective, if I put the exhaust tip right behind the center rear window (where I happen to also have the power sliding window to open it up), I bet that I would hear more. Of course I'd also get exhaust fumes in the cabin (albeit cleaner ones) so that would be undesirable.

Make sure to screw up the fueling diagram so you can reduce the efficiency of your engine to a point that it makes plenty of soot.

Rolling coal is also stupid.

I won't be doing emissions deletes on my truck - just going to leave it the way it is.

Rolling coal is also stupid.

I won't be doing emissions deletes on my truck - just going to leave it the way it is.

Was out riding the motorcycle Saturday, on a nice steep downgrade. Coming up the hill is a new GMC diesel pickup towing a big boat, he steps on it and it ROLLS COAL. A big giant opaque cloud of it. Luckily it was windy and I was able to hold my breath until I got through the other side of the cloud. I did think I might have needed a popup clearance, though.

So yeah, he did it on purpose, and obviously thought it was funny. Azzhat!

Was out riding the motorcycle Saturday, on a nice steep downgrade. Coming up the hill is a new GMC diesel pickup towing a big boat, he steps on it and it ROLLS COAL. A big giant opaque cloud of it. Luckily it was windy and I was able to hold my breath until I got through the other side of the cloud. I did think I might have needed a popup clearance, though.

So yeah, he did it on purpose, and obviously thought it was funny. Azzhat!

It's only actually funny to do to someone driving a Prius or a Tesla. ;)

Yeah, it really is dumb. That said I am annoyed that they have the trucks so super muffled now. For someone like me, that's bad.

It's only actually funny to do to someone driving a Prius or a Tesla. ;)

Yeah, it really is dumb. That said I am annoyed that they have the trucks so super muffled now. For someone like me, that's bad.

Well, there's a difference between sound and soot, I hear plenty of loud 18 wheelers, but even though they're loud they're still burning clean.

Well, there's a difference between sound and soot, I hear plenty of loud 18 wheelers, but even though they're loud they're still burning clean.

Exactly. I think that what FCA/Cummins did was simply make sure the muffling technologies in the DPF/SCR were sufficient to meet the overall dB requirements for the truck. When I hear medium duty trucks with the same engines (that are still using DPF/SCRs) they've got louder exhausts.

Exactly. I think that what FCA/Cummins did was simply make sure the muffling technologies in the DPF/SCR were sufficient to meet the overall dB requirements for the truck. When I hear medium duty trucks with the same engines (that are still using DPF/SCRs) they've got louder exhausts.

Ah, so no separate muffler on your truck, just the exhaust scrubber?

I wanted stacks on my truck when I was a teenager. And did just that. I had the pipes coming up to the roof line, coming up through the bed in the forward corners, less than a foot from the door windows.

Man, that got old real quick since I had no A/C and drove with the windows open.....

Fortunately I saved the pieces of the bed floor that were cut out.

I wanted stacks on my truck when I was a teenager. And did just that. I had the pipes coming up to the roof line, coming up through the bed in the forward corners, less than a foot from the door windows.

Man, that got old real quick since I had no A/C and drove with the windows open.....

Fortunately I saved the pieces of the bed floor that were cut out.

Lil Red Express, eh?

Correct. My 2004 didn’t have a muffler either that I recall, just a catalytic converter (which I left in place). If there was an actual muffler I’d remove it.

A turbo does an on job as a muffler on its own, then you add in some exhaust scrubbers and you’re absorbing a lot of sound.

Correct. My 2004 didn’t have a muffler either that I recall, just a catalytic converter (which I left in place). If there was an actual muffler I’d remove it.

A turbo does an on job as a muffler on its own, then you add in some exhaust scrubbers and you’re absorbing a lot of sound.

Bummer, no easy fix.

Another potential option are cutouts. You can get the electronically-actuated ones and put them before the scrubber to open it up when you want to "hear it", flip the switch to close 'em when you don't. Dunno what that might do with the electronics/sensors though.

Another potential option are cutouts. You can get the electronically-actuated ones and put them before the scrubber to open it up when you want to "hear it", flip the switch to close 'em when you don't. Dunno what that might do with the electronics/sensors though.

I’d thought about that. Given the amount of sensors and such in this thing, I imagine it would throw a code pretty fast. And when you figure that the limp mode for an SCR (DEF injection) is 5 MPH speed limiter, that’s not something to mess with.

It’s just a matter of living with it or deleting the truck. And I’m not willing to do the latter.

However, from the engineering perspective, if I put the exhaust tip right behind the center rear window (where I happen to also have the power sliding window to open it up), I bet that I would hear more. Of course I'd also get exhaust fumes in the cabin (albeit cleaner ones) so that would be undesirable.

I can't believe I'm having to say this to you of all people, but........ you're thinking too small scale! You gotta get pipes long enough to get out of the wind coming over the cab to keep the exhaust from swirling back into the rear window. And remember, the airflow probably goes higher at highway speeds, so you better go at least 4-5' above the top of the cab. :D

I can't believe I'm having to say this to you of all people, but........ you're thinking too small scale! You gotta get pipes long enough to get out of the wind coming over the cab to keep the exhaust from swirling back into the rear window. And remember, the airflow probably goes higher at highway speeds, so you better go at least 4-5' above the top of the cab. :D

Again, that would be stupid on a pickup. :)

I just bought a 2020 challenger scat pack wide body...no thinking required by the way, but it has active exhaust. In street mode the valves are basically closed on it but still sounds good. In sport mode they open up more and more with more RPM. In track mode they are wide open and loud. They have a delete simulator so it doesn't trip the computer. Wonder if there is something like that for your Ram?? I also have a ram but a gasser with the 5.7.

I just bought a 2020 challenger scat pack wide body...no thinking required by the way, but it has active exhaust. In street mode the valves are basically closed on it but still sounds good. In sport mode they open up more and more with more RPM. In track mode they are wide open and loud. They have a delete simulator so it doesn't trip the computer. Wonder if there is something like that for your Ram?? I also have a ram but a gasser with the 5.7.

We had a rental Charger with the 5.7 Hemi and the exhaust on it was great. As I understand it, the noise requirements allow for a certain number of decibels total output (exterior) from a vehicle. Because the diesel engines themselves are louder (the physical engine itself) they then have to do more to muffle the intake and exhaust to meet the dB requirements.

Sims, that's a good question whether something could be done there and I hadn't thought about that option. A quick Google search shows it used to be something that you could do, but that apparently is less the case now thanks to the EPA crackdown on sales of anything that can be used to delete a diesel. But again, I don't really want to delete my truck.

The 392 when laying on the gas is a sound to be hold! For stock exhaust its really nice sounding. That's crazy the EPA steps in on things for diesels but leaves gassers alone. Though people will still do it anyway..Your truck doesn't have active exhaust does it? I wouldn't think so but who knows. on my exhaust on the 392 there are 2 modules, one on each exhaust pipe that operates a butterfly valve.

I'm least familiar with the GM light truck diesels, but neither Fords nor Dodges have any mufflers. The aftertreatment underneath the truck is about 10 feet long.

Interestingly, neither the Fords or Dodges seem to get much if any louder when the aftertreatment is removed. Pilot injection among other things keeps them pretty quiet.

That's crazy the EPA steps in on things for diesels but leaves gassers alone.

If you don't think the EPA governs what the OEMs are doing with the gasoline powered vehicle offerings you're mistaken. In the case of all the active exhausts I've seen, the valves are after any catalyst that is placed in the exhaust for emissions compliance. Putting something after the aftertreatment in the diesel will do little, if anything, which is what Ted has already proven.

Interestingly, neither the Fords or Dodges seem to get much if any louder when the aftertreatment is removed. Pilot injection among other things keeps them pretty quiet.

The engines are definitely a lot quieter than they used to be, but I've seen plenty of trucks around here just like mine that have been deleted. The increase in exhaust sound is quite noticeable. Sure, it's still significantly quieter than my Cobra will be, but it's a lot louder than my truck currently is.

It's been a while since I've had any posts in this thread, mostly because my Ram just does exactly what I want it to and I haven't had cause to do much to it. It's got a bit under 60k miles on it now, purchased just over 5 years ago. Definitely fewer miles on it since Covid hit, but it just does what I want it to. Lately it's been suffering intermittent ABS failures, which can be annoying since they are annunciated with a "Ding!" When it's rapidly failing and unfailing the dings can continue incessantly for minutes at a time. This is a common known issue that somehow isn't a recall yet.

However one thing I'd wanted to do since purchase, and really since buying my first Ram 18 years ago, was get Ranch Hand bumpers for it. I always liked the look and also the durability in the event of hitting something like a deer or small building. However they're expensive and I had no desire to spend the money on them, I figured at some point there would be something that would happen to the bumpers and I'd spend the money then.

Back in July, that happened. I was rear-ended by an elderly woman in a Honda. The truck got off much better than the Honda did, but the check I got from insurance was enough to buy a set of front and rear Ranch Hand bumpers. I placed the order and they showed up last week. Over the weekend I had planned to install them, and ended up getting as far as getting the bumpers removed.

The front bumper was pretty easy to pull. That's 8 bolts, the grille has to come off to get at 2 of them (the other 6 you can get from below). The rear bumper is also not hard to remove, but you also have to remove the factory hitch. This is harder as, thanks to the design, you have to lift the bed of the truck up a couple of inches to slip the hitch off. That's not a big deal per se, but it is an annoying part of the design. For both front and rear bumpers you have to remove the factory parking sensors (a feature that I want to keep). The new bumpers have holes for these to be reinstalled, and the front bumper has brackets for reinstalling the factory driving lights.

I have to say my first impressions of these Ranch Hand bumpers leave me somewhat disappointed. Yes they're very heavy steel with welds across all joints. First the packaging was horrible. I have no idea how much of this was from 4 Wheel Parts (who I bought them from) and how much was how Ranch Hand shipped them, but it looked really bad. These way tougher than the factory bumpers, but the welds are frankly not any better looking than I could do if you look at them closely. The paint finish is good, but on the rear bumper there was a piece of welding wire (granted a small one) that had stayed attached through the whole process. On the front bumper, someone had tried to stack something on top of it it seemed, and two edges were bent. Originally I was going to return it, but it was a simple item to hammer back with a 5 lb sledge (and that didn't damage the appearance any) so I decided I didn't want to wait another 2 months. However then I went to go start bolting things up. The rear is missing some of the hardware and the front has no hardware for mounting the bumper (although it did have the hardware for mounting the driving lights).

Another annoyance (and I'm not sure how I missed this) is that the factory Class V hitch can't be left in place with this bumper. To me this is a dumb aspect of the bumper design, especially on a 1-ton truck. It really wouldn't have been hard to change the design such that it could be left in place. Maybe they're expecting that most of their buyers use goosenecks, but I don't. I'm still giving some thought to what I want to do to address this, but I think what I'm going to end up doing is cutting off some of the factory hitch so that it can fit up to/within the Ranch Hand rear and then welding it on.

In the end I know that I'll like it when it's all said and done, but a bit annoying to have to go to this level of extra effort for such an expensive product in the first place. For now, my truck has no bumpers. Hardware aside, the things are just too heavy to attempt to install without assistance. I'm sure someone could do it, but I'm not going to try.

Me coming home with my new pickup: I'm not going to put a loud exhuast on this truck. I'm 40 now, I'm too mature for that kind of stuff.

Me two weeks later: under my truck with a sawzall....

What is it about pickups that you just can't leave them alone?

Me coming home with my new pickup: I'm not going to put a loud exhuast on this truck. I'm 40 now, I'm too mature for that kind of stuff.

Me two weeks later: under my truck with a sawzall....

What is it about pickups that you just can't leave them alone?

I'd be leaving mine alone if that woman hadn't rear ended my truck, but hey, here I am. :)

LS engines sound great with a proper exhaust on them. You're doing the right thing. :D

I'd be leaving mine alone if that woman hadn't rear ended my truck, but hey, here I am. :)

LS engines sound great with a proper exhaust on them. You're doing the right thing. :D
The single pipe cat-back system doesn't sound quite as good as the true duals I built on my '97, but it's decent. The new one has 3 cats, one on each head pipe with sensors before and after, and a big one on the 4" pipe after they come together with no sensors. I'm tempted to hack it off and piece together a legit dual exhaust, but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Have you done anything about the grid heater yet? There is bolt that comes loose that the engine then tries to eat… Looking at the Banks intake horn which has the grid heater replaced with their heater.

I also had the abs light issues. It ended up being the abs control module.

On a 2018.

Last edited:
The single pipe cat-back system doesn't sound quite as good as the true duals I built on my '97, but it's decent. The new one has 3 cats, one on each head pipe with sensors before and after, and a big one on the 4" pipe after they come together with no sensors. I'm tempted to hack it off and piece together a legit dual exhaust, but I'm not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.

Three cats? Yeah, I could see that being an issue. But also remember not all mufflers are created equal in sound quality - so depending on what you put on, that could be part of it. Also smaller duals will have a different sound vs. a big single. LS engines sound slightly different from a standard small block 350 (even with Vortec heads) but I think LS engines normally sound better.

I probably wouldn't go to the effort of removing that third cat, but you could always weld in a "test pipe" so that you can put it back in if ever needed. Then again, you probably will never need it.

Have you done anything about the grid heater yet? There is holy that comes loose that the engine then tries to eat… Looking at the Banks intake horn which has the grid heater replaced with their heater.

I also had the abs light issues. It ended up being the abs control module.

On a 2018.

The ABS module is considered the common root cause for this issue and that's what dealers normally replace. However, I have also noticed that the weather seal connectors that Chrysler put on my truck (and probably yours as well if it's a 2018) don't seem to be very good. I cleaned all 4 ABS sensor connectors and flushed the brake fluid a couple months back. What I notice, however, is that if the ABS module gets hot enough, it starts to work again. So a hot day after driving for a while, it works. It also was having more intermittent failures on a bumpy road. That sounds like bad connections not necessarily a bad module.

So right now I have the ABS module connector unplugged and will be cleaning it when I get a fresh bottle of contact cleaner. Then I'll see if it works better or not. If not, I'll buy the new module.

That stock grid heater design is awful. What Banks does is make the design more like what my 2004 Ram had, which was a great design that never had issues. So, that's a good route to consider if you still need the grid heater.

I'm 40 now, I'm too mature for that kind of stuff.

:lol::lol:

I am 63 and drive a 2005 Duramax. I have a 4 inch exhaust without the cat. The stock muffler went away when the 4 inch was put on but I did put on a 24 inch long glass pack.

Plus I added a home made intake system on it that looks so stock no one guesses it isn't stock.

The teenagers at church think I have a really cool truck and love the sound...

Lately it's been suffering intermittent ABS failures, which can be annoying since they are annunciated with a "Ding!" When it's rapidly failing and unfailing the dings can continue incessantly for minutes at a time. This is a common known issue that somehow isn't a recall yet.
Isn’t that somewhat typical among the Big Three? Dad owned a Chrysler that had a very similar issue. Like you say, it was also due to a bad module.

Isn’t that somewhat typical among the Big Three? Dad owned a Chrysler that had a very similar issue. Like you say, it was also due to a bad module.

No idea about overall commonality among the big three. I have overall had very few issues with ABS over the years. I know that on the Rams this was reported as a very common problem, and I'd imagine that Chrysler uses that same ABS module across a number of vehicles.

Ted, glad to see you're still living your best #RAMlife! It's nice to have a no drama utility vehicle when all of the others are "special" in some way.

Back