Boston to Austin

Collybus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Dwork
I am planning a trip with the GF in our Cheetah in mid-May from OWD Norwood, Ma. To T82 Fredericksburg, Tx. We want to spend a night or two in Nashville and New Orleans, and looking for recommendations for convenient airports at both. Otherwise, open to suggestions for sightseeing and fuel/lunch stops. Also seeking suggestions to break up the leg between NOLA and Fredericksburg. Thank you.

John Tune airport (JWN) in Nashville is convenient to downtown. A little easier to get in/out than BNA.

Also seeking suggestions to break up the leg between NOLA and Fredericksburg. Thank you.

On field restaurants at Gulf Coast Rgnl, Conroe ,and Brenham. If you have all day, go to Ellington and go visit Johnson Space Center.

Lakefront in NOLA…still only $26.00 cab ride to the French Quarter…cluless on Nashville…the stop at KEFD and trip to JSC is good idea also the Commemorative Air Force museum on the field itself…two hours to T82 and a trip through the Houston corridor to get a nice downtown view.

Last edited:
I just wanna go somewhere that rhymes with charlotte. any ideas?

On field restaurants at Gulf Coast Rgnl, Conroe ,and Brenham. If you have all day, go to Ellington and go visit Johnson Space Center.

I don’t think the Brenham restaurant is still in business.

Nearby though is CLL, which has a great on field option with Gate 12; landing fee waived if you eat.

NOLA to to T82, LBX would be my lunch stop, then depart south and take the beach tour to RAS then head over to T82. Little bit of a dogleg, but a fun detour.

What’s your plan for Fredericksburg?

What’s your plan for Fredericksburg?

Annual Grumman Owners and Pilots Association convention. Week-long list of activities including spot landing, flour-bombing, precision taxi competitions and such. Also time for exploring, as the convention is in a different region every year.

Brenham, TX used to have a great little airport diner. No idea if they are still around, but it’s almost right on the pink line between Nola and T82.

Annual Grumman Owners and Pilots Association convention. Week-long list of activities including spot landing, flour-bombing, precision taxi competitions and such. Also time for exploring, as the convention is in a different region every year.

Ah, maybe I will see you there.

Brenham, TX used to have a great little airport diner. No idea if they are still around, but it’s almost right on the pink line between Nola and T82.

They were gone, then came back.

Then gone again.

Now it’s back but different theme, haven’t tried it but heard it’s adequate. Conroe CXO has a Black Walnut, chain but good. LBX has a decent place on field, been a while since there, heard a few months ago quality was sagging.

I don’t think the Brenham restaurant is still in business.
Yes Brenham is back and I've been there a couple of times. Very similar food, no girls in poodle skirts! They're having the same pains other restaurants are having, keeping staff is difficult at best. Our waitress was on her second day and they were out of a lot of things on the menu, she was struggling. My order has been wrong both times, but still good food! Even with all of that... it's worth going!

If you haven't arranged hotel in Fredericksburg, the Hangar Hotel is awesome. Right on the airport, very clean, and with a great bar. There is a restaurant next door, as well.
https://www.hangarhotel.com/
Hangar Hotel is overrated in my opinion. It's good for a night, but it's expensive. The cafe and the bar close early, then you're at an airport with nothing going on. The cafe is great for breakfast or lunch. When staying there, we fly in, get a taxi ride into town and say at the Bed & Brew. And all of this may not apply to you since you're there for an on-airport event!

Hangar Hotel is overrated in my opinion. It's good for a night, but it's expensive. The cafe and the bar close early, then you're at an airport with nothing going on. The cafe is great for breakfast or lunch. When staying there, we fly in, get a taxi ride into town and say at the Bed & Brew. And all of this may not apply to you since you're there for an on-airport event!

The organizers arranged for folks who didn’t find the Hangar Hotel that appealing, for the reasons you mentioned, with another hotel in the city, specifically the Fredericksburg Inn. That’s where we are staying.

I'll have to drop by and check that out; my child bride and I have a home there, and fly down most weekends. That might merit a day or two extra!

If so, hope to meet you.

Back