Bose X's are dying. What to do?

flyboy595

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flyboy595
As much as I don't want to spend money, I think my Bose X's are starting to die.
They make a popping noise if i move the cable in flight and theres a couple more minor things. Bearable, but i'm going to need to fix it soon.
Need some opinions. Here are my options:
1. Buy a new cable for $200 when this one dies
2. Buy a pair of A20's, sell my X's for $450, and a pair of backup david clark's i have for $200, so the A20's are around $400
3. Just sell the X's and buy A20's, keeping the DC's
4. Wait for a new bose headset to come out and upgrade to that
5. Do nothing.
Any opinions?

1. Sell the DC cause they are crap.
2. Call Bose and see if they might take care of you on the cable.
3. Sell X for a down payment on an A20.
4. Use payment plan so the A20 doesn't wreck your wallet.

6. Find someone who knows how to use an X-Acto knife and a soldering iron to fix your existing cable, then don't wrap it around the headset once it's fixed. :)

1. Sell the DC cause they are crap.
2. Call Bose and see if they might take care of you on the cable.
3. Sell X for a down payment on an A20.
4. Use payment plan so the A20 doesn't wreck your wallet.

Good luck. My QC2s needed new covers. The only reason I didn't have to buy them was I know some folks in their lab and they gave me some from their junk pile. Now, when the frame broke I was on my own. These folks aren't DC when it comes to service.

A buddy gave me his X's with the single plug. It was under $200 a few years back for the whole plug attachment. An X is definitely worth $200, so I'd go that route.

I think Bose will do a complete overhaul at around $175. give them a call. they will be like new!

Bose usually has very good customer support, I'd call them up and see what they offer to do for you, especially if you were the original purchaser.

Or you could...

(flashes custom sexy headset for effect)

...come over to our shoppe and give a great headset a try and actually have some money left in your pocket. Just try one, and then you'll believe just like they did. Plus, if you don't want them, send em right back. No fees, no BS.

I'll leave it at that, and I hope you find what you need.

6. Find someone who knows how to use an X-Acto knife and a soldering iron to fix your existing cable, then don't wrap it around the headset once it's fixed. :)

This is what I did with a similar problem, however the wires in there are really small! Challenging for someone experienced with soldering...

My Bose X cable wrapped around my foot when I was getting out of the plane. I sent it back to them and they replaced the whole thing and put new ear pads and mic cuff on as well. All I paid was shipping. Won't hurt to call.

Dump 'em and get yourself some Zulus. You've never had proper customer service until you've worked with Lightspeed. Wonderful people. Not to be confused with Lightspeed ignitions, a miserable SOB on a good day....

Might look at the Zulu 2's or the PFX. Probably the 2's if the price drops.
Already called Bose and its $200 because I'm out of warranty.

So why not pay the $200 and if you want to pay for new why not consider the A20? I've had both Bose and LS and I think they are both great company's with great products and great customer service. If you REALLY want to buy new it's a tough choice - I'd try both of them on first. LightSpeed isn't going to give you an out of warranty cord replacement either. The cords get ripped up all the time , they don't just fail for no reason.

You got big feet?

Me too.

Frankly, if it were me I'd pay the $200 because there has never been anything else wrong with my X and I've had it for almost X years but if you've got an itch to dump a grand - go for it.

Also, look into the trade up program that Lightspeed offers. You could trade it in, as-is and it might be more advantageous to you.

I would repair the Bose and keep it as a spare if you decide to get something else. Any headset you get for $200 or less wont be near the same quality.

Spend the $215 (replace the ear pads too) and sell them for $400-450. You'll basically have new a headset. Otherwise keep them. The X's are still great headsets; I have three for my paxs.

If you have the old style 9v box you will get a $70 credit if you send it back in.

Personally, I don't think the A20 is that big an upgrade over the X. That is what I use (the Bluetooth phone feature is nice for IFR, though).

Last edited:
Bose has great customer service. They replaced my cord on my A20 in a matter of days for free. My CFI broke the actual spring part of it and he sent it in and again had it back in a couple days for nothing. Both of ours were out of warranty. Maybe you guys just aren't nice to them :dunno:

Bose has great customer service. They replaced my cord on my A20 in a matter of days for free. My CFI broke the actual spring part of it and he sent it in and again had it back in a couple days for nothing. Both of ours were out of warranty. Maybe you guys just aren't nice to them :dunno:

There is no such thing as an A20 that's out of warranty. The warranty is good for five years, and they haven't been out that long.

Bose is great if it's still under warranty. Thing is, Bose's competitors such as Lightspeed and David Clark will service their products for free long after the warranty expires.

Alright, so i probably wont buy the A20's at this point.
Will probably wait a couple months to see if the cord lasts (its not terrible at this point, definitely still useable). If it doesn't, I'll either look into the new Zulu PFX or just get the X's overhauled. Thanks guys!

There is no such thing as an A20 that's out of warranty. The warranty is good for five years, and they haven't been out that long.

Bose is great if it's still under warranty. Thing is, Bose's competitors such as Lightspeed and David Clark will service their products for free long after the warranty expires.

Lightspeed is the best....:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I just sent my Brides Bose X in for service. While getting in the plane she stepped on the piece that holds the ear cup.....yep, it cracked. I called Bose told them what happened and they said they are still under warranty according to the SN# so for a $15 UPS label they sent me (cheaper than me sending it) I packed them up and shipped them off.

Less than a week we have a refurbished unit, new ear cups and head band pad, and both ear cup holders were replaced. Cost ? the $15 charge to ship. If they are out of warranty it will be a $175 charge.

Send them back, you will be glad you did.:yes:

I hope when my Lightspeeds need service I get the same treatment. My Zulu headset works great for me and I love the Bluetooth phone feature. My Bride loves the Bose X, she said its less of a head clamping feel than my set. Whatever works....:yesnod:

Last edited:
I just sent my Brides Bose X in for service. While getting in the plane she stepped on the piece that holds the ear cup.....yep, it cracked. I called Bose told them what happened and they said they are still under warranty according to the SN# so for a $15 UPS label they sent me (cheaper than me sending it) I packed them up and shipped them off.

Less than a week we have a refurbished unit, new ear cups and head band pad, and both ear cup holders were replaced. Cost ? the $15 charge to ship. If they are out of warranty it will be a $175 charge.

Send them back, you will be glad you did.:yes:

I hope when my Lightspeeds need service I get the same treatment. My Zulu headset works great for me and I love the Bluetooth phone feature. My Bride loves the Bose X, she said its less of a head clamping feel than my set. Whatever works....:yesnod:

They're out of warranty though, thats the issue.

I am paranoid, so I personally wouldn't fly with a headset that could fail at any moment. Just know that if it crackles, it could completely fail.

So why not pay the $200 and if you want to pay for new why not consider the A20? I've had both Bose and LS and I think they are both great company's with great products and great customer service. If you REALLY want to buy new it's a tough choice - I'd try both of them on first. LightSpeed isn't going to give you an out of warranty cord replacement either. The cords get ripped up all the time , they don't just fail for no reason.

Frankly, if it were me I'd pay the $200 because there has never been anything else wrong with my X and I've had it for almost X years but if you've got an itch to dump a grand - go for it.
That's what I'd do too. I have an old pair for the passengers and a new pair of Xs with a/c power plugs in the front. I've been amazed at how much foot stomping and cord abuse they've been able to take so far without any failure (especially compared to a pair of Peltors I owned many years ago which had multiple cable failures in very short order).

I'm guessing that Bose will do a whole electronics check and pad refurb if I ever have to send mine in... does anyone know if they do?

I assume that the A20s are great but can't imagine them being much better than the Xs. I already have bluetooth on my audio panel for phone work.

As much as I don't want to spend money, I think my Bose X's are starting to die.
They make a popping noise if i move the cable in flight and theres a couple more minor things. Bearable, but i'm going to need to fix it soon.
Need some opinions. Here are my options:
2. Buy a pair of A20's, sell my X's for $450, and a pair of backup david clark's i have for $200, so the A20's are around $400
3. Just sell the X's and buy A20's, keeping the DC's
4. Wait for a new bose headset to come out and upgrade to that
5. Do nothing.
Any opinions?

If you decide not to fix them let me know how much you want to sell them for. I'll ship them off to Bose for $15 and pay the $175 to make them new again. :yes:

Back