Bose QC15 preps

NJP_MAN

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Shawn
Bose QC15 pireps

Thinking of downsizing from the Bose X to QC 15s. Has anyone used the 15s for aviation use?

Last edited:
Steve, this is my plan. How is the noise reduction with the 15s?

The ANR is excellent - at least on par with my Lightspeed Zulu (1) -but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison with the X or the A20. To me, all of the high end headsets sound great. I've listened to the latest, greatest at Oshkosh, but I don't think they sound dramatically better enough to justify the amount of cash they want for those things.

Re: Bose QC15 pireps

Thinking of downsizing from the Bose X to QC 15s. Has anyone used the 15s for aviation use?

FYI: The QC15 has been replaced with the QC25 which is not compatible with the uFlyMike adapter. There are still plenty of QC15s out there to buy if you want to, but if you don't have an imminent need you might consider waiting for the QC25 and a new uFlyMike. The advantage as I see it is that the QC25 now plays audio even when the batteries are dead, which is a big deal as a pilot -- the QC15 simply turns off when the batteries die.

I would guess this will get rid of the need for an extra earbud for commercial pilots to use the QC15+uFlyMike.

FYI: The QC15 has been replaced with the QC25 which is not compatible with the uFlyMike adapter. There are still plenty of QC15s out there to buy if you want to, but if you don't have an imminent need you might consider waiting for the QC25 and a new uFlyMike. The advantage as I see it is that the QC25 now plays audio even when the batteries are dead, which is a big deal as a pilot -- the QC15 simply turns off when the batteries die.

I would guess this will get rid of the need for an extra earbud for commercial pilots to use the QC15+uFlyMike.

Not sure how long the development process will be for the UFM for the 25s though. I just want a smaller more portable set up for work purposes.

I didn't know about the QC25. Thanks! Looks like uFlyMike is working on a compatible adapter...
http://uflymike.com/news/news.html

Second-hand PIREP, as one of my students uses one, so take it for what it's worth.

Two issues he's found with the QC-15, UFlyMike combination:

As mentioned above, if the battery dies, you can't hear anything. Also, it does not seem to have an automatic shut-off, so if you forget to turn it off, the next time you fly it might be dead, and then you can't hear anything. Of course, carry spare batteries with any ANR headset, but this could complicate things if the battery dies in flight.

The microphone, when transmitting, has a lot of feedback squeal on it. It's possible this is just his, maybe he got a bad unit or something, but it is the same in 2 different airplanes (with different audio panels as well). Interestingly, the squeal is not there when just talking back and forth, only when transmitting.

I don't know for sure, but Bose always threatened that there'd be no warranty work on a modified qc15.

I don't know for sure, but Bose always threatened that there'd be no warranty work on a modified qc15.

The QC15s are not modified. Uflymike is an attachment that is native to the headset.

I own both but I only use the 15s when i fly airlines. I did a shootout and I can say the X is better ANR and better peace of mind when flying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using the QC15 with UFlyMike for a number of years, including my instrument training and checkride. I love it and don't have any complaints. Here are a few comments:
1. no problem with the battery but always carry a spare in my pocket for quick easy access. If I think it is getting low, I just change it before I leave; batteries are cheap.
2. clarity is amazing as well as sound filtering; very light and comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
3. I always press the mic close when speaking; it its normal position, it just doesn't seem quite close enough.
4. I have noticed in the Diamond DA40 with full power during a climb, the stall warning sound seems to get filtered out; no problem hearing it on landing at lower power settings, but it seems to be filtered out with full power
Other pilots swear by the A20 and I am sometimes criticized for using UFlyMike, but who cares--it works, is comfortable and less expensive.

I can't add much to what has already been said. For over the ear headset the qc15 + uflymike is by far the most comfortable headset you'll ever wear. I don't think you can argue otherwise. I find the noise cancelling to be very good while sitting behind the yoke in my pa32-301. Mic is crystal clear.

The only negatives I can find are 1- the battery issue (when it dies your headset dies). 2- no blue tooth. 3- mic doesn't swivel / fold for storage so must be removed to case the headset.

I have 3 of these headset combos and find that they are by far the best pax headset you could ever have (adults and kids) for the $!!! For PIC they would be fine too but I would be anal about watching battery and probably change them proactively on occasion. A single aaa battery is pretty cheap.

Eh, Bose doesn't do repair work period on the QC. If you are within Warranty, they send you another QC (minus the case etc...). If you're out of warranty, they'll make you a discounted offer on a replacement.

The only "mod" for the UFlyMike is to unplug the Bose cable and insert the UFlyMike cable which has the jack/swivel for the boom attached to it.

I've got qc15's and A20's.

No comparison. The QC15 is great for music and on commercial, but in a Cessna trainer they were slightly worse than regular DC or AvComm IMO. More comfortable just not enough noise reduction.

In a jet or quieter piston I'm sure they would be great. Last row in a MD80 is not as unpleasant with them. They are light and much less clamping than the A20's. Even then the A20 doesn't really bother me after 8hrs of flying in a day.

Costco has the QC15 on sale right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back