Bose in Space

SkykingC310

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Adam
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/0812/exp18home_nasa_big.jpg

Home from Above

Credit: Expedition 18 Crew, NASA Explanation: There's no place like home. Peering out of the window of the International Space Station (ISS), astronaut Greg Chamitoff takes in the planet on which we were all born. About 350 kilometers up, the ISS is high enough so that the Earth's horizon appears clearly curved. Astronaut Chamitoff's window shows some of Earth's complex clouds, in white, and life giving atmosphere and oceans, in blue. The space station orbits the Earth about once every 90 minutes. It is not difficult for people living below to look back toward the ISS. The ISS can frequently be seen as a bright point of light drifting overhead just after sunset. Telescopes can even resolve the overall structure of the space station. The above image was taken early last month from the ISS's Kibo laboratory.

The Muppets have ruined me forever.

I can't read the title of this post any other way than using the same, drawn out, echo-filled voice that was used to announce:

"Piiiiiiggs . . . Iiiiinn . . . Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacce !"

:rofl:

Some groundling flipped the image over.
In relation to the way the camera was being held, yes. In relation to the infinitesimal gravity they were experiencing? Not so much so. And you know that if they'd published it with the other orientation, you'd have others complaining!

I can't read the title of this post any other way than using the same, drawn out, echo-filled voice that was used to announce:

:rofl:

Glad I'm not the only one! I actually said it out loud as I was first clicking on the thread last night. :rofl:

yep.... stuck in my head now.

Government spending. A lot of engine noise to be canceled out in space, is there?

Well he is inside where there is air so I would also assume noise. Lots of pumps and fans inside the space craft not too mention people.

ANC works on the fans and the pumps. Not so much on the people.

Government spending. A lot of engine noise to be canceled out in space, is there?
No convection cooling in zero-G...hot air doesn't rise, it just stays in the same place and gets hotter.

Just about every piece of electronic gear in the space station needs a fan to push air through it or it will overheat. You're talking about dozens of fans of various sizes running in a room about half the size of a school bus. Not to mention the cabin air itself needs to be moved and forced through scrubbers, etc. The "central air conditioning" cannot be moved "outside" like it is in most terrestrial buildings. It's like having a window air conditioner in every window of your house.

It's bad enough to work in something like a server room for eight hours a day. In the ISS, they're exposed to that kind of noise 24 hours a day for months on end. Damn straight they'll need hearing protection.

Contrary to popular opinion, space is not "cold." It's vacuum; there's nothing there to HAVE a temperature. Objects heat up depending on exposure to the sun and cool down based on how much surface is exposed to the heat-sink of deep space. Pack a bunch of electronic gear in a tin can, and that tin can will heat up unless you create more surface pointing at the heat sink to radiate away the heat.

Here's a photo of just one of the radiator panels on the ISS:

173063main_radiator_275x227.jpg

When you see pictures of the space station, you'll see a lot of radiator surface...

Ron Wanttaja

When you see pictures of the space station, you'll see a lot of radiator surface...

Ron Wanttaja

Just like inside the cargo bay doors on the shuttle. Payload deployment or not, they're open so the shuttle can keep from overheating. It's a different environment.

NASA used to use humorous recordings for "wake up calls" when the crew's work day was supposed to be begin. On an early shuttle mission, they used the "Piiiiiiggs . . . Iiiiinn . . . Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacce !" call, and the Muppet writers added a joke about the shuttle crew, told by Link Hogthrob.

Miss Piggy replied, "That joke's been around before."

The response by Dr. Strangepork: "That's OK...so has their ship!"

Ron Wanttaja

Back