Bose A20 question

Vince R

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Vince R
My new plane came with a few Bose A20’s, and while I generally love them, I’m having one big issue: I’m just not able to make out female ATC voices.

Male controllers are fine, but for some reason, female controllers just sound slightly garbled, and it’s enough that I’m constantly missing what they’re saying. I’ve flown with different A20’s in different planes in different parts of the US, and it’s always the same. No issues with the guys, but as soon as I get a female controller, I’m sounding like a total amateur asking nearly every transmission to be repeated.

I’m thinking it’s something to do with the noise reduction...maybe the higher pitched sounds of the female voice are lopped off somehow. Raising the volume doesn’t really help...I can hear fine, I just can’t make out the words. Best way to describe it is that it’s like computer audio that’s been compressed too much - the sound seems “blurry” somehow.

My hearing is generally fine otherwise. I have a set of DC One-X headsets, and I have zero issues with them. I’d probably just use the DC’s, except that they aren’t the LEMO version that my plane has. Still, it’s seeming like I might need to give up on the Bose if I can’t figure this out.

I hate to get rid of the Bose - anyone know what might be going on, or if there’s a way to adjust them?

Can't understand women? Are you still single by chance? :)

All I can say is that I've not experienced that problem with my A20. Maybe it's your radio and/or panel?

The A20 isn't as good as all the Bose nuthuggers make it out to be :)
I fly lots of different planes and the Lightspeeds kill the Bose in performance and clarity.

I have never had this issue with my A20's. Sounds like certain higher ranges of sound are breaking up, or the noise cancellation is doing it. Have you contacted Bose customer service?

Can't understand women? Are you still single by chance? :)

All I can say is that I've not experienced that problem with my A20. Maybe it's your radio and/or panel?

I've used my A20 in several different planes with different types and brands of audio panels and radios...I haven't noticed much difference in legibility. I've even used different A20's in different planes and had the same issue, so I'm thinking it's just some sort of incompatibility between my ears and the Bose.

And no, not single...managed to find a wonderful woman that's put up with me for over 30 years now. :)

It is the natural filtering a man goes through over the years of listening to his wife. ;) They think we can't hear, but really sometimes we don't want to hear the chatter.

My A20s seem to to work fine with both genders. Upgrading my audio panel from a KMA-24 to a GMA-345 helped with clarity.

The A20 isn't as good as all the Bose nuthuggers make it out to be :)
I fly lots of different planes and the Lightspeeds kill the Bose in performance and clarity.

I own both the Bose A20 and LightSpeed Zulu3 and regularly use either one. They are both good headsets. The Bose is slightly better headset as it's lighter weight, more robust battery box, and with a better mic. The biggest reason to get one one over the other is fitment. Larger head sizes tend to prefer the Zulu3's.

A more fair comparison is the LightSpeed PFx to the Bose A20. Both are same price, same weight, and same sound quality.

Beyond this, its a new religion for some.

Modern stereo audio panels like the PS Engineering 450A/B or Garmin 350 make a huge difference, much more than the difference between the 2 leading headsets.

I own both the Bose A20 and LightSpeed Zulu3 and regularly use either one. They are both good headsets. The Bose is slightly better headset as it's lighter weight, more robust battery box, and with a better mic. The biggest reason to get one one over the other is fitment. Larger head sizes tend to prefer the Zulu3's.

A more fair comparison is the LightSpeed PFx to the Bose A20. Both are same price, same weight, and same sound quality.

Beyond this, its a new religion for some.

I tend to disagree on a couple of things. LOL!
I have a small head and wear a small motorcycle helmet. The Bose feels loose and clunky where the Lightspeed fits good. It may just be head shape???
The Zulu has adjustable mic gain and I have mine all the way down. The Bose mic will not handle wind noise or loud aerobatic planes. I can fly open cockpit with the Lightspeed and the mic is good.
Sure the Bose is ok in a quiet 172 with the windows closed.

Your open cockpit experience is very relevant and rarely shared insight. I also agree with your point that it's more head shape. It's a more complete answer broadening the point about selection based on comfort.

Just an update that I heard from Bose and they are looking into it more deeply.

I tried a little experiment yesterday where I downloaded some clips from LiveATC onto my phone and played them through the A20’s via Bluetooth. I had no trouble making out the female controllers that way, but of course this was at home in a quiet setting. I’m going to repeat this in the airplane later today to see if it’s true in a noisy setting too. If so, then I suppose I’m going to think it has more to do with the audio panel or wiring than the headsets.

Back