Bose A20 headset issue

Torque beast

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Bryan
Anyone know why I can only hear conversations through the 430 in the right muff only but if I connect my phone through Bluetooth I can hear in both ears?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which audio panel are you using? (You mention 430 but that is not an audio panel)

This from the manual:
upload_2020-5-1_6-13-2.png

Yes, definitely check your mono/stereo settings. I've had this happen before when I get into an airplane that I didn't realize was wired for stereo headphones. It's an easy fix on your headset.

Sorry I meant GMA 340. Got 430 on the brain right now trying to figure out if I’m going to get it updated with waas before time runs out. Anyway, I have two Bose headsets and when plugged into the same jacks the one I’m having issues with only works in one ear but if I change to the other headset I hear in both ears. I also tried switching mic and still only works in one ear. You can hear through the side with the mic no matter which side to put it on

Sorry I meant GMA 340

Okie, so it is a stereo audio panel. Next, confirm A20 switch settings are the same, per the user manual or visual inspection of both. Then, if only one works as expected the one that does not needs a trip to Bose land to figure it out.

Both are set the same. Both are set to mono

I set both to stereo and no change

Have you tried both headsets in another airplane? That would be a good next step for troubleshooting.

Have you tried both headsets in another airplane? That would be a good next step for troubleshooting.

Yes I did and got the same results. It only works in the ear the mic boom is mounted. If mounted on left the left ear works and I switched the boom to the right side and the right ear worked. Guessing it’s in the mic /cord piece

My wife‘s A20 did the same thing. (Only one earphone working for the radios & intercom with both working using BT) After checking the switch settings, trying different jacks in the same airplane, and a different airplane altogether with no success I called Bose. I was pleasantly surprised to hear it was still under warrant. They replaced the control box and cable assembly and put fresh ear cushions, mic muff, and headband pad on it and now it’s working good as new.

If yours is out of warranty I’m pretty sure they still offer the refurbishment for a flat fee. (Used to be $300)

Yes I did and got the same results. It only works in the ear the mic boom is mounted. If mounted on left the left ear works and I switched the boom to the right side and the right ear worked. Guessing it’s in the mic /cord piece

Good. I would say that it must be in the wire that connects the left and right ear cup (or the connections for it). But unless you're handy with electronics and are willing to tackle it yourself, best to send it to Bose (especially if it's under warranty, they will replace other pieces too.).

You need to take a look at the earphone jacks on your plane. If those are stereo jacks, you will have three wires going to the jack. If mono, there will only be two wires. If this is on piper with the plastic overlay over the panel, make sure that your earphone plug fits flush with the jack. If the holes in the plastic are too small for the jacks or are offset, then the jack may be sticking out a fraction of an inch--just enough to keep one side from working.

You need to take a look at the earphone jacks on your plane. If those are stereo jacks, you will have three wires going to the jack. If mono, there will only be two wires. If this is on piper with the plastic overlay over the panel, make sure that your earphone plug fits flush with the jack. If the holes in the plastic are too small for the jacks or are offset, then the jack may be sticking out a fraction of an inch--just enough to keep one side from working.

This is in my bonanza and I used the same jacks to compare both headsets but I will verify how many wires are going to the jacks

Back