Bose A20 ga plug too skinny

George Chityat

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
george99
Just got new Bose a20 with ga plugs.
The mic plug is a little skinny. I have a ga to helicopter Adapter that I pigged it into, and it just keeps falling out. When I try other ga headset plugs, they all fit in tightly and stay in. The plug also has a slightly
Different shape than all the other plugs I've seen.
Not sure what I do, but this is unusable.

Any ideas?

Just got new Bose a20 with ga plugs.
The mic plug is a little skinny. I have a ga to helicopter Adapter that I pigged it into, and it just keeps falling out. When I try other ga headset plugs, they all fit in tightly and stay in. The plug also has a slightly
Different shape than all the other plugs I've seen.
Not sure what I do, but this is unusable.

Any ideas?
If you're flying the R22, I have that same problem with my adapter, but what I do is hang the adapter on the headset holder clip to reduce any tension on the plugs. So if you imagine this =- to be the adapter, I hang the plug on the piece in between the two GA plugs and it works well for me. Next time I'm at the field I'll snap a pic.

had that problem just take a small pliers and squish the plug carefully till it is slightly out of round works every time do this about a inch from the tip

Thanks for the replies and the sex jokes:)

I fly both R22 and GA Airplanes.
I use airplane headsets with a GA to Helicopter adapter. I just got the headsets a couple days ago and I plugged them into the adapter. I haven't actually tried them in an airplane yet. But the adapter should be the same size as the airplane since it's meant to have the same plug used with it. I can't take a pair of plyers to the outlet in the airplane (especially since it's a rental).

Granted maybe the $15 adapter that I am using is a little to big, but, my Telex headset plug fits nice and tight. Shouldn't the plugs be the same thickness? Seems like a Bose design issue.
This is the adapter that I am using.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018DWGD5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hehe, I just looked at the amazon link that I posted, and I see in the description that it says not compatible with Bose. I guess I know why.

Thanks for the replies and the sex jokes:)

I fly both R22 and GA Airplanes.
I use airplane headsets with a GA to Helicopter adapter. I just got the headsets a couple days ago and I plugged them into the adapter. I haven't actually tried them in an airplane yet. But the adapter should be the same size as the airplane since it's meant to have the same plug used with it. I can't take a pair of plyers to the outlet in the airplane (especially since it's a rental).

Granted maybe the $15 adapter that I am using is a little to big, but, my Telex headset plug fits nice and tight. Shouldn't the plugs be the same thickness? Seems like a Bose design issue.
This is the adapter that I am using.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018DWGD5C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I think he meant the male end on the headset.. not the airplane.

I'm curious as to "how" the adapter is compatible with some headsets and not others. Obviously the jack in the airplane is compatible with all types. And the connector size is standardized, isn't it? PJ-068, .208 inch diameter?

Well after a little more research, I think the issue isn't the thickness. It is the tip of the plug that comes shaped slightly differently. The outlet grabs and holds the tip of the plug. Apparently my Adapter wasn't designed to hold that type of tip.
I ordered a $40 ASA one from amazon today. I'll have it tomorrow and update this post.
The description didn't say anything about any brand. So hopefully this will work.

The $40 ASA one works great. Apparently you get what you pay for with cheap stuff.

Back