Bose A20 - Bluetooth

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
Friends -

Is it possible to have Bluetooth come on by default in my Bose A20 after I push the main power button, or do I have to manually push the Bluetooth "on button" each time?

Thanks!

Last edited:
If bluetooth is on when you power down, bluetooth will come on on power up.

This sounds right?
I haven't taken time to figure it out on mine. It seems like my bluetooth is connected 90% of the time. Every once in a while I have to reach down and turn it on, but most times it's already on. Make sure bluetooth is turned on your phone. My Iphone is paired with other stuff too so I wonder it that effects it?

I believe this is correct. It's also been my experience that when the batteries get low, it purposefully does not start the bluetooth on power-up, presumably to save battery. I forget if this happens when it's amber or red.

Okay, I looked and found this in the manual:

upload_2022-7-18_7-0-44.png

So if you let the batteries get low (as I do as a matter of routine), the bluetooth will not turn on automatically the next time you use the headset.

There's also this:

upload_2022-7-18_7-2-51.png

So, I think what could happen here is if you don't manually turn the headset off when you're done flying, then get in your car and drive away, it might be trying to re-pair, can't, and so turns off the Bluetooth. The headset of course is supposed to turn itself off after a certain period of time with no activity, but I suppose depending on the exact timing of events this could still be a factor.

(I will say that the headset lasts a LOT longer than 2 hours when flashing red. A lot longer. I found this out back when I had the Bose X and it's the same for the A20. I was replacing batteries a lot more than necessary, now I wait until they are completely dead.)

I believe this is correct. It's also been my experience that when the batteries get low, it purposefully does not start the bluetooth on power-up, presumably to save battery. I forget if this happens when it's amber or red.

Okay, I looked and found this in the manual:

View attachment 108713

So if you let the batteries get low (as I do as a matter of routine), the bluetooth will not turn on automatically the next time you use the headset.

There's also this:

View attachment 108714

So, I think what could happen here is if you don't manually turn the headset off when you're done flying, then get in your car and drive away, it might be trying to re-pair, can't, and so turns off the Bluetooth. The headset of course is supposed to turn itself off after a certain period of time with no activity, but I suppose depending on the exact timing of events this could still be a factor.

(I will say that the headset lasts a LOT longer than 2 hours when flashing red. A lot longer. I found this out back when I had the Bose X and it's the same for the A20. I was replacing batteries a lot more than necessary, now I wait until they are completely dead.)
Thanks for this^^^^^ Makes sense.

OP here. All very helpful. Thanks.

It seems as though my BT is on when I leave the plane and the headset shuts down on its own, but then doesn't come back on automatically when I power-up the headset again. I don't think my batteries are bad (i.e., no amber or red LED), but I might try replacing them anyway.

OP here. All very helpful. Thanks.

It seems as though my BT is on when I leave the plane and the headset shuts down on its own, but then doesn't come back on automatically when I power-up the headset again. I don't think my batteries are bad (i.e., no amber or red LED), but I might try replacing them anyway.

That kind of goes with my second comment. When you leave the airplane with the headset on, the bluetooth will lose its connection. It's then going to try to re-connect until the headset turns itself off. Depending on the timing of these two, the bluetooth may decide there's no reason to be "on" if there's nothing to pair to, and so it turns itself off. Then the headset turns itself off. Then when you turn the headset back on next time, the bluetooth doesn't turn back on automatically since it was off last time the headset turned off.

Try manually turning the headset off after the flight and see if that helps the problem.

That kind of goes with my second comment. When you leave the airplane with the headset on, the bluetooth will lose its connection. It's then going to try to re-connect until the headset turns itself off. Depending on the timing of these two, the bluetooth may decide there's no reason to be "on" if there's nothing to pair to, and so it turns itself off. Then the headset turns itself off. Then when you turn the headset back on next time, the bluetooth doesn't turn back on automatically since it was off last time the headset turned off.

Try manually turning the headset off after the flight and see if that helps the problem.

Great analysis, and it sure sounds like that's the issue. Thank you, Russ!

Back