Borrowing someone's airplane for a checkride - insurance/other issues?

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
I (a CFI) have started working with someone on his CFI certificate. We are both members of the same club and have started in the club airplanes. However, this club does NOT have a complex aircraft. We have a few options:

1. He can instead go to a nearby flight school to work on this. Their aircraft are very new, very nice, and very expensive. I, however, have tried to get on their list of "authorized instructors", but have been unsuccessful - they want to limit it to their own, full time CFIs. He doesn't want to go this route because 1) it's very expensive, and 2) he wants me as his CFI. :yes:

2. Our club has in the past arranged with a flight school about an hour flight away to use their RG, bringing it back here. They would charge a block rate and we can get the airplane for, say a week. Obviously this adds complexity of scheduling and transportation but the rental rate is reasonable. Plus there'd probably be a "checkout" required for me.

3. I have another student who owns an RG aircraft. He is a student pilot, and as his CFI, I am named on his insurance (as a named pilot, not a named insured). The CFI candidate does NOT meet the "open pilot" requirements on the insurance (750 total, 250 retract, 25 make/model). The owner has no problems with us using his airplane, for some kind of fair price.

What are some pitfalls of option #3, especially regarding insurance for the owner? During CFI training, there would be no particular need for the "renter" to fly the plane solo, so I would be with him and the owner is covered when I'm in the airplane. However, during the checkride I would not be in the airplane. The examiner or FSDO inspector would likely meet the open pilot requirements, except possibly the 25 make/model.

Other questions:
- What would generally be the agreement if something breaks while we are flying the owner's airplane? I suppose that depends if it was actually caused by the "renter" or not - a failed vacuum pump would be different than a hard landing resulting in damage.
- How do you figure a fair "rental rate"? I assume the best method would be a dry tach rate (since he doesn't have a Hobbs). Any ballpark way to calculate this? The owner is really open to suggestions, and will pretty much take my word on whatever I think a fair rate is (since I'm just the intermediary here and they're both trainees of mine, I'm pretty impartial).
- Anything else I need to consider?

Just looking for some discussion on these points. Thanks!

I would think a specific review of his policy would be required. Mine prohibits training in mine except me.

Probably legal with the FAA, but you might not be insured and neither will the owner of the airplane. The owner of the airplane should look at his policy and call his underwriter.

It always amazes me how rarely does ANYONE actually read their insurance policy. It might be a bit obscure, but its no harder than reading the FARS.

The other thing is, not all insurance policies are alike. They differ DRASTICALLY.

Last edited:
If your student wants to do Option 3, he needs to be a named pilot on the insurance and either be added as an additional insured (ideal) or get a waiver of subrogation. If he only gets a waiver of subrogation, he should also carry a non-owned policy to protect himself. Assuming that's done, both owner and "renter" are protected.

IMHO, as far as damage, if something breaks that is reasonably attributable to the renter's negligence, the renter pays for it. If something breaks because it's worn out, or just fails, owner pays for it.

As far as price, owner needs to ballpark what his costs are (maintenance, reserve funds, etc.) and charge a dry rate accordingly. Ballpark dry for an "average" RG aircraft like an Arrow, Debonair, 177RG, etc. is probably between $75-100hr dry.

As far as other things, the reality is a CFI candidate doesn't need all that much time with a CFI (or shouldn't at least). Most of the work can be done solo or with a "student" friend, as it's really just practicing the maneuvers. If it were me, and my student were OK with it, I'd have him use the expensive rental airplane and just go along every now and then to check his progress, even if you're just a "passenger." He shouldn't need that many hours, and it may end up being cheaper in the end.

Last edited:
I personally don't like borrowing anything, much less an airplane. I learned long ago it usually does not work out well.

I personally don't like borrowing anything, much less an airplane. I learned long ago it usually does not work out well.

That leaves me to believe you should take better care of the stuff you borrow.

That leaves me to believe you should take better care of the stuff you borrow.

Wrong again tom. Your batting 100 percent. I'm speaking of things that against my better judgement I loaned to others. Money included. Not wise.

Wrong again tom. Your batting 100 percent. I'm speaking of things that against my better judgement I loaned to others. Money included. Not wise.

You didn't say that. and once again lead us to the wrong impression. Learn to type a clear sentence that means what you mean.

Here is what you really said. that means you were the borrower, not the lender.

I would go with option two as the flying club is making an arrangement with the flight school. Be sure to look over the maintenance logs though. Your student should have renters insurance, to be on the safe side.

Other questions:
- What would generally be the agreement if something breaks while we are flying the owner's airplane? I suppose that depends if it was actually caused by the "renter" or not - a failed vacuum pump would be different than a hard landing resulting in damage.

You answered your own question.

- How do you figure a fair "rental rate"? I assume the best method would be a dry tach rate (since he doesn't have a Hobbs). Any ballpark way to calculate this? The owner is really open to suggestions, and will pretty much take my word on whatever I think a fair rate is (since I'm just the intermediary here and they're both trainees of mine, I'm pretty impartial).

Tach time plus cost of fuel seems fair in my book.

Just treat the airplane gently and all will be well. Good luck to your student, and being one step closer to your gold seal!

I (a CFI) have started working with someone on his CFI certificate. We are both members of the same club and have started in the club airplanes. However, this club does NOT have a complex aircraft. We have a few options:

1. He can instead go to a nearby flight school to work on this. Their aircraft are very new, very nice, and very expensive. I, however, have tried to get on their list of "authorized instructors", but have been unsuccessful - they want to limit it to their own, full time CFIs. He doesn't want to go this route because 1) it's very expensive, and 2) he wants me as his CFI. :yes:

2. Our club has in the past arranged with a flight school about an hour flight away to use their RG, bringing it back here. They would charge a block rate and we can get the airplane for, say a week. Obviously this adds complexity of scheduling and transportation but the rental rate is reasonable. Plus there'd probably be a "checkout" required for me.

3. I have another student who owns an RG aircraft. He is a student pilot, and as his CFI, I am named on his insurance (as a named pilot, not a named insured). The CFI candidate does NOT meet the "open pilot" requirements on the insurance (750 total, 250 retract, 25 make/model). The owner has no problems with us using his airplane, for some kind of fair price.

What are some pitfalls of option #3, especially regarding insurance for the owner? During CFI training, there would be no particular need for the "renter" to fly the plane solo, so I would be with him and the owner is covered when I'm in the airplane. However, during the checkride I would not be in the airplane. The examiner or FSDO inspector would likely meet the open pilot requirements, except possibly the 25 make/model.

Other questions:

Just looking for some discussion on these points. Thanks!

I worked at a flight school that had an old(early 60's)Piper Cherokee without a Hobbs meter.

How to calculate?

We'd take the Tach time and multiply it by 1.2 to get a billable Hobbs rate.

I worked at a flight school that had an old(early 60's)Piper Cherokee without a Hobbs meter.

How to calculate?

We'd take the Tach time and multiply it by 1.2 to get a billable Hobbs rate.

Thanks, but that's not really my question. (Why wouldn't they just charge a 20% higher rate and base it off tach time only? I know, that's marketing, it would seem more expensive. Not the case here.)

Billing would be dry tach in this case. No reason to do anything else. The question is, how to set a fair rate?

The other answers, regarding insurance, are great and I'll have to look into that issue some more.

If it was anything other than the CFI initial, I probably might not have a problem (if I was a good friend of the borrower). No way I'd let my plane anywhere near an initial CFI ride with the FAA. At least the FSDOs around here have a bad habit of dedicating a maintenance guy to rip into the log books of the plane while the examiner is grilling the student. It's not uncommon for the plane to come back on a ferry permit with issues to be dealt with.

Option 2 sounds the easiest at the end of the day.

Back