Bored pilot needed

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
I have a tedious task for you.
I have always wondered about the volume of info provided in a typical standard digital briefing for a....typical 300 mi flight with a few waypoints, FL180-290, you pick the dep/dest. Try to pick a flight that is not severe clear ie a bit of weather.
Capture the briefing.
Paste into a program that counts letters or whole words; maybe Word can do?
Enumerate the total.

How does that compare to...the average chapter in a typical novel?
What time would a typical pilot need to read once, with the purpose not being to memorize the text but to become acquainted with it.

Im assuming you mean a briefing from FSS?
digital as in, a readable document. I think I can copy and paste one from Foreflight - the legacy briefing. Later, though - leaving for the airport.
Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to have this done by the time I return!

Figure a typical novel is about 100,000 words, say 15 chapters, do the math.

Original format of all caps and absurd abbreviations?

Paste it into Word, then do a Spelling and Grammar check. You must first go into Tools/Options and make sure that Readability Statistics is checked. It will count characters, words, sentences and paragraphs, with averages for each. Then it will give you an approximate Grade Level.

Be patient, it will ask you about a bazillion misspelled words and poor grammar in the original.

Do a word search for "VFR not advised" and see how many times it comes up.

Paste it into Word, then do a Spelling and Grammar check. You must first go into Tools/Options and make sure that Readability Statistics is checked. It will count characters, words, sentences and paragraphs, with averages for each. Then it will give you an approximate Grade Level.

Be patient, it will ask you about a bazillion misspelled words and poor grammar in the original.

Much easier in WordPerfect.

Ok I fail at motivation. No surprise, look at my staff. Should have used the Tom Sawyer trick.
Well you guilted me into doing it myself, it really wasnt that hard.
Random ordinary 400nm flight today, captured the briefing on my ipad from FF. Put it into a few different programs and they choked, crashed at the volume. Downloaded "Documents" free app and emailed to laptop. (somewhere here, it said 116000kb) Pasted into LibreOffice.
LO has a a word and character display up all times: 26 pages 12616 words, 84844 characters. No images. Pretty sure it is the entire briefing; it had the start and finish correct but no way to check the entire thing; tldr.
Next, how long is your average novel chapter or how long to read 12616 words?

This says for a speech, allow 1 min for 130 words (~2words/sec). Probably not the reality of it, but its a start. Maybe there is a better way to estimate? That is sounding like 100minutes? Tired out; check my math.

Hey, how did they get to be called briefings, anyway?! I can tell I need some history on this, please...

Just need to give a shout out to Multimate Advantage and WordStar. Where did I put that boot disk?

Just need to give a shout out to Multimate Advantage and WordStar. Where did I put that boot disk?

I thought MultiMate was way better than WordStar (Dot commands! Shudder). But, joking aside, WordPerfect is still current software, still well-supported, and still way, way better at text processing than Microsoft Turd...

I thought MultiMate was way better than WordStar (Dot commands! Shudder). But, joking aside, WordPerfect is still current software, still well-supported, and still way, way better at text processing than Microsoft Turd...
I use only organic, gmo-free text that hasn't been processed. It is soooo much better...

Back