Bore scopes

Half of their stuff costs more than I have spent on aviation to date.

This is true, the one I had at work on NAS was 89 grand. ( in 1995 money) their page does tell you all about the various types and their use.
But a low quality scope can cause you to spend a lot of money getting their parts out of a cylinder.

I've found that if you have to fill out an application just to find out how much they want for the thing it's absolutely outside the scope of my tools budget.

Aside from that, unless you're inspecting turbine hot sections you don't need no steenking borescope.

I've found that if you have to fill out an application just to find out how much they want for the thing it's absolutely outside the scope of my tools budget.

Aside from that, unless you're inspecting turbine hot sections you don't need no steenking borescope.

Exactly! You can always pull the cylinder and simply look.

For many years I inspected cylinders with a simple rigid tube type prism 6" scope.

very simple, very dependable. cheap

i have one of these. Great for reading the serial number off a hard to see component dataplate or looking under floors and into other closed areas but not much use for looking inside cylinders. I bought the Dewalt, even though it was more expensive because I have an entire set of cordless tools that use the same 12v Lithium Ion battery and charger. For looking inside cylinders and especially at valves I use a modified USB dental camera.

Still, even with a cylinder that is failing it's compression test miserably, don't expect to see much of anything visible by poking a camera in there. Also be aware that none of these things are actual borescopes, you get what you pay for.

DCT411S1_1_500X500.jpg

is there a borescope standard?...or are we just wanting to see something? :yikes::goofy:

This is what I use. I need it most for the PT6 engine hot section and compressor blade inspection. This also works great for inspecting cylinders and turbo charger blades.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 24
Back