Books for written

Old Fart

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
Studying for my written (PPL), this online/iPad/iPhone/DVD stuff isn't sinking into my old gray head :mad2:

I think I've narrowed it down to Gleim, looking at Gleim Private Pilot Written Exam Guide and/or Gleim Pilot Handbook. Either or both? Have an older Jeppeson book (and the current version on the iPad) - don't care for it at all :nonod:

Machado? My son got me Rob's IFR book for Christmas, haven't opened it yet. I hear he has a "style" :wink2:

Gleim is good stuff. I used it for my primary training.

Machado's books are also very good. I'm going through his instrument handbook right now. There's a lot of chessy humor but it's bearable and the rest of the material is really good IMO.

I've always had good luck using the gliem books.

Hmm, maybe just order both books then?

I used Gleim. It's focused on the test questions but it worked for me. I added their software before I was done.

I've got one Machado book. He definitely has a style. I don't enjoy it. I found him to be unreadable, but you might like it and find it works. The content is there but he's got so many jokes embedded I find it distracting.

I've not used Jeppssen so I can't speak to that.

John

If you are merely studying for the exam, Gleim.
If you want to learn the material, Kershner's textbook. Or Bob Gardner's book.

I used Gleim. It's focused on the test questions but it worked for me. I added their software before I was done.

I've got one Machado book. He definitely has a style. I don't enjoy it. I found him to be unreadable, but you might like it and find it works. The content is there but he's got so many jokes embedded I find it distracting.

I've not used Jeppssen so I can't speak to that.

John

Which Gleim book if I might ask?

The 2004 equivalent of this one:
https://www.gleim.com/products/productdetails.php/PPKT-_-Private-Pilot-FAA-Knowledge-Test-book

So it makes sense that it was test focused. I also found a classroom ground school at the local community college which helped me immensely. Unfortunately all our local community colleges have become "state school" and are 4 year, no community courses any more.

John

I think this is the same book

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/701

Which Gleim book if I might ask?

The one that says "Private Pilot Written Exam" on it.

It works, but not for understanding. Only for passing the test. It's kinda like an SAT test prep book.

For understanding, Machado can explain anything, but if cost is a factor, the free FAA stuff (PHAK and AFH) are pretty good. For a much more sophisticated treatment that doesn't really cover the written (it's not the point), see http://www.av8n.com .

If you are merely studying for the exam, Gleim.
If you want to learn the material, Kershner's textbook. Or Bob Gardner's book.

+1 to all three suggestions.

I used Gleim for my prep and did well.

Discovered the Kershner and Gardner books after I had my PPL and agree, they are very well presented and do a good job teaching the basic principles you need to know to achieve your PPL.

Yep. He PM'd me :)

I had his "Say again please" book for a while (given to me by one of the pilots at KTOA, I've since passed it on). If the other book is as well written, I'll be very happy

Since I've been lurking for a few days I thought I'd go ahead and make my first post here since I'm sort of in the same boat. I ordered the Gleim Deluxe Private Pilot Kit (thank you Christmas money) and I'm finding it very useful - if a little dry - and it will definitely prep you for the written test. There are lots of practice test questions so if by nothing else other than memorization you should do well on the test. Or so I've read.

I ordered "The Complete Private Pilot" and "Say Again" by Bob Gardner and I'm waiting to read those. (Looking forward to it, actually.) I also ordered the "Private Oral Exam Guide" by Michael Hays. Haven't got around to reading that one yet, either.

I'm also reading Machado's "Private Pilot Handbook." If you can get past the lame jokes it's actually very good at presenting things in a conversational manner.

Can you tell I'm trying to read as much as I can in preparation for my test? :D

Books came today. No more web surfing at lunch for Jeff :)

Back