Book?

I have Rod's book. There is too much corn for this material and the valuable stuff gets lost between the attempts at humor. ...
Yes. I find his humor to be very tedious but a lot of people like it. Despite the sometimes-stretched attempts at humor, I would put his book in my second tier of recommendations.

Agree on the Jepp stuff; expensive and expansive books sold profitably to defenseless 141 and college students.

Dogan is a little out of date but I liked that book a lot. As a complete novice I found his narrative of an actual flight to be very informative.

Lengel's "Everything Explained" is a worthwhile book to own, though it's not a text. (Why would you want to own only one book, anyway?)

Edit: Oops! Necropost. I didn't look at the dates!

Last edited:
So there is nothing like the Jeppesen PPL book?

Have you visited a pilot supply shop lately? Have you read the Sporty's catalog? Have you done a search on "flight training + text"? Looked at www.asa2fly.com? The Kings send me a catalog every month.

Bob Gardner

faa literature in pdf and google. for the written gleim is good for quickly reviewing theory with their knowledge summaries and going through the test bank.

I liked the Jepp books, still do.

I liked the Jepp books, still do.

They're the truest form of "textbook" out there. I have a couple floating around here. There's cheaper options that get to the point faster.

But they're great if you have a captive audience locked in a room a few days a week.

They're the truest form of "textbook" out there. I have a couple floating around here. There's cheaper options that get to the point faster.

But they're great if you have a captive audience locked in a room a few days a week.

Yep, read Jepp's book first, then use a study guide for the test.

Back