Book?

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Alright. I am thinking of resuming my IR training from last year, and this time I want to get the written done first.

My question - is there a single book that comes highly recommended that I can read to cover all the necessary knowledge?

From what my research suggests, you'll require several books.

I'm starting with the FAA pubs, IFH and IPG

So there is nothing like the Jeppesen PPL book?

Alright. I am thinking of resuming my IR training from last year, and this time I want to get the written done first.

My question - is there a single book that comes highly recommended that I can read to cover all the necessary knowledge?

This is another religious discussion...Everyone has their favorite material. However....you can get the PTS (FAA-S-8081-4E) from the FAA website, and there's a list of material from where the written exam gets the questions but definitely download

Instrument Handbook FAA-H-8083-15B
Instrument Procedures FAA-H-8261-1A
Risk Management FAA-H-8083-2
AC 00-6A Aviation Weather
AC 00-45G Weather Services

On the other hand, are you looking to merely pass the written, or understand instrument flying? If just passing the written, there are any number of suppliers (Gleim, Dauntless, ASA, etc) that offer electronic & paper Q&A study material whose sole purpose is to pass the written.

Here's interesting comments about the written, don't know where I found it. What's missing are the questions on GPS, since this list was written before the FAA started emphasizing GPS. Now if they'd only get rid of the RMI and fixed ADF questions....

* The Written
--
Study up on RNAV approaches. Use the plates in your Jepp or Gleim book on RNAV
--Know how many waypoints are needed for a complete approach.
--Know how to interpret the RMI.
--Know how to interpret the panel to determine aircraft attitude and which instrument has failed.
--Know how to interpret the panel to determine the unusual attitude and required procedure.
--Know how to interpret the fixed-card ADF and heading of the plane.
--Know the 24hour low-level significant weather prognostic chart.
--Know aeromedical factors...especially hypoxia.
--Know the aircraft codes determined by equipment aboard.
--Know your approach plate symbols such as the lightning bolt symbol and the Maltese cross.
--Know the minimum altitude specified for glide slope interception -- make sure you know what every number is for.
--Know the 'upper level charts' like those synonymous with the tropopause or winds aloft. Know the simple questions in using the charts such as when should you switch VOR's.
--Be prepared to calculate DME arc lengths in Instrument Departure Procedures.
--Know how 'line of sight' distances determine frequency selection.
--Be able to interpret a METAR to calculate the depth of the overcast layer. (AGL or MSL)
--Know the facts on being PIC and currency requirements.
--To carry passengers for hire AT NIGHT you need to have...?
--Know how to interpret the HSI.
--Be able to interpret your position on the front/back course of the localizer with respect to a VOR display or HSI display.
--Know NTSB 830 regulations and reporting requirements.
How do you meet the requirements for entering controlled (Class E) airspace in IMC with a filed IFR flight plan but without an ATC clearance?
--Know the rules for NORDO operations as required by FAR 91.185.
--Know how to determine your location on the airway' by interpreting VOR displays.
--Know how to interpret the altimeter...and use the words for the altitude indicated.
--Know the distinctions between and importance of the MRA, MEA and MOCA.
--Know how the MSA circle is made on the approach plate.
--Know when you can descend from an ATC assigned altitude anywhere on the approach.
--How to determine and enter a holding pattern entries using NDBs.
--Know the appropriate entry method to the facility (VOR) specified in the missed approach procedure.

Last edited:
So there is nothing like the Jeppesen PPL book?

Definitely. Jepp publishes a book for everything. The IR book is combined with the Commercial material (last couple chapters). Weighs a ton, costs a lot, has pretty colored graphics, and contains the same material as in the FAA documents. I believe Jepp is now publishing the material eletronically (don't know the format)

Definitely. Jepp publishes a book for everything. The IR book is combined with the Commercial material (last couple chapters). Weighs a ton, costs a lot, has pretty colored graphics, and contains the same material as in the FAA documents. I believe Jepp is now publishing the material eletronically (don't know the format)

The FAA material seems super dry to me and tends to put me to sleep. I am hoping to find something that feels a little more accessible :rofl:

Other possible books are:

Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot"
Peter Dogan's "Instrument Flight Training Manual"
Rod Machado's "Instrument Pilot's Handbook"

Found the King courses online... looks like a good one. Any feedback? do I need to buy the entire IFR kit?

Rod Machado has one. Much more fun to read than FAA prose.

I have Rod's book. There is too much corn for this material and the valuable stuff gets lost between the attempts at humor.

Plus the thing is heavy enough to break your toe if you dropped it.

BTW; as you do the study, check FAASafety.gov and the WINGS program's online seminars. Some of the items you need to study for the written are also available as online seminars that provide WINGS credit.

And I think there are some on AOPA Air Safety section too.

These aren't intended to be the end all be all for studying that type, but why not get "double credit" where you can?

I have, and like, the Jeppesen Instrument and Commercial book.

Found the King courses online... looks like a good one. Any feedback? do I need to buy the entire IFR kit?
I used the Kings online course and was quite happy with it (but I don't really mind cornball humor; YMMV). I also used the ASA Prepware CD. They're both good, and neither will prepare you for ALL the questions. Be sure that you read the sources too (FAR/AIM etc.) or you will just be studying for the test and not for the lifetime of real-world flying.

I have Rod's book. There is too much corn for this material and the valuable stuff gets lost between the attempts at humor.

Not as heavy and big as the Jepp IR/Comm book:)

Rod's is definitely no standalone. It did help me understand somethings that were confusion in the FAA stuff.

I think some of the "Get it All Kit" is unnecessary. When my time comes (after completing the so-called 'dry' FAA pubs) I'll get and study the Full King course. I think I'll also back that up with a weekend seminar and then take the written. That's my plan for now.

I used the King course and liked it well enough, but developed crows feet from cringing at the jokes. You really can score pretty high just from memorizing the Gleim test prep, but the former would be much more helpful for actually learning the material.

I really dislike the Jepp Instrument book. It's really obtuse for the written and for flying on instruments. The books Murphey quoted paired with a Gleim cram manual or software are the best in my opinion for ground school

For the nuts and bolts of actual flying, the best book is Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual.

I disliked the Jepp book also. I liked The Pilot's Manual: Instrument Flying (PM3) from ASA. I have the fifth edition, I think it was around $25, unfortunately it looks like the sixth is significantly more expensive for some reason.

Can you provide an example please?
Not an actual example from the exam, but the questions are something like this: given a METAR such as

KVLL 111815Z AUTO 22008KT 7SM OVC007 12/10 A2979 RMK AO2 T01160104

and reported cloud tops at 3500 MSL, how thick is the overcast layer? They will also tell you the elevation at KVLL (727 MSL).

Onwards; something to keep in mind for IFR training and the books/prep courses is weighing the difference between just learning to pass the test and gaining a deep understanding of the material so you can do well "in the system".

For me, I purchased the King's course when it was on sale for "black Friday". But since then have come across a ground school that some locals have good things to say about. So I might consider doing book reading, the King material and the ground school. Sure, it's a bit of overkill, but so many pilots say IFR is important enough in flying that one should get more depth than you might have for the PPL.

The FAA material seems super dry to me and tends to put me to sleep. I am hoping to find something that feels a little more accessible :rofl:

Jeppesen is the only company that can take FAA material and make it even drier than it starts out. :eek:

This. Rod's stuff is fun to read, and thus keeps you going.

Rod's is definitely no standalone. It did help me understand somethings that were confusion in the FAA stuff.

Actually, Rod has two books. His first, the Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual IIRC, is not a complete book and he always said so. However, it does provide a lot of excellent tips.

Just in the last couple of years, he has come out with a full-on instrument book.

I would also suggest Peter Dogan's book.

Not an actual example from the exam, but the questions are something like this: given a METAR such as

and reported cloud tops at 3500 MSL, how thick is the overcast layer? They will also tell you the elevation at KVLL (727 MSL).

But it seems the METAR itself doesn't give any indication of the thickness of the cloud layer. What am I missing?

Correct, the METAR isn't enough by itself, you also need to know the altitude of the tops. That's why I gave it. Or are you saying that even with that, you don't know how to calculate the thickness?

Correct, the METAR isn't enough by itself, you also need to know the altitude of the tops. That's why I gave it. Or are you saying that even with that, you don't know how to calculate the thickness?

I haven't started studying yet, but fuzzy memory from PPL says there is something regarding the ability to determine either the base or the top's from the temperatures.

The trick is to keep Rod's books beside your bed. It's harder to fall asleep reading a big, heavy, goofy book than little dry ones.

But it seems the METAR itself doesn't give any indication of the thickness of the cloud layer. What am I missing?

OK, here's one from the exam with the explanation.

Field elevation 1300 ft MSL
METAR:
SPECI KOKC 2228Z 28024G36KT 3/4SM BKN008 OVC020 28/23 A3000
Note: From the bottom of the overcast claoud layer, what is the thickness? Tops of the OVC are reported at 3,800 ft.

Answer: 500 ft thickness

Explanation:
The base is 2000 ft AGL (OVC020) or 3300 MSL
Tops are 3800 ft MSL (not in the METAR but you just gotta know this).
So, 3800 - 3300 = 500 ft

Go back to azure's example:
reported cloud tops at 3500 MSL, how thick is the overcast layer? elevation at KVLL (727 MSL).

So, overcat is 700 ft AGL or 700 + 727 = 1427 MSL
Tops are 3500, so 3500 - 1427 = 2073 ft thickness

The key is remembering OVC in the METAR is AGL, and tops are reported MSL.

Last edited:
I haven't started studying yet, but fuzzy memory from PPL says there is something regarding the ability to determine either the base or the top's from the temperatures.
Maybe estimating the cloud bases from the temperature-dew point spread? Of course you have to assume something about the lapse rate and variation of the dew point with altitude to do that. There might be questions like that on the written, I don't recall. If so they probably assume a standard lapse rate (2 deg C/1000 ft) and a constant dew point. I know the DPE asked me one of those in my oral. It's pretty simple:

Suppose the temperature at the surface is 10C and the dewpoint is 3C. Then assuming a standard lapse rate, the cloud bases would be at (10 - 3)/2 * 1000 = 3500 feet AGL.

Personally I would NEVER put any stock in this kind of estimate since (a) the lapse rate is USUALLY not standard and (b) the moisture content of the air, and thus the dew point, is USUALLY not constant with altitude. It's usually taught as a "rule of thumb" but like many ROTs, it will give you the wrong answer as often as not (maybe even more often). You do need to know how to do it for the tests though.

Maybe estimating the cloud bases from the temperature-dew point spread? Of course you have to assume something about the lapse rate and variation of the dew point with altitude to do that. There might be questions like that on the written, I don't recall. If so they probably assume a standard lapse rate (2 deg C/1000 ft) and a constant dew point. I know the DPE asked me one of those in my oral. It's pretty simple:

Suppose the temperature at the surface is 10C and the dewpoint is 3C. Then assuming a standard lapse rate, the cloud bases would be at (10 - 3)/2 * 1000 = 3500 feet AGL.

Personally I would NEVER put any stock in this kind of estimate since (a) the lapse rate is USUALLY not standard and (b) the moisture content of the air, and thus the dew point, is USUALLY not constant with altitude. It's usually taught as a "rule of thumb" but like many ROTs, it will give you the wrong answer as often as not (maybe even more often). You do need to know how to do it for the tests though.
That ROT is based on the standard atmospheric model. After getting a little Skew-T education from ScottD it began to make sense to me to NOT depend on the model where it matters, especially calculating freezing levels and icing potential.

This. Rod's stuff is fun to read, and thus keeps you going.

Actually, Rod has two books. His first, the Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual IIRC, is not a complete book and he always said so. However, it does provide a lot of excellent tips.

Old thread bump, but wanted to report back. I am a huge sucker for aviation books and probably have bought 20 since I started training back in 2011, mostly from reco's on this forum. I have found Rod's Instrument Pilot's Survival Manual to be prrrrrobably my favorite thus far. I've learned so many little nuances that hadn't thought of or known before and it is easy and fun to read. Forget the humor (which is occasionally funny), the book is written like an instructor is walking you through everything in a practical way. Super useful. Great practical tips that you wont get from FAA pubs or others really. Anyways, I bought that book after reading this thread and wanted to report back. Currently working on IR.

I really dislike the Jepp Instrument book. It's really obtuse for the written and for flying on instruments. The books Murphey quoted paired with a Gleim cram manual or software are the best in my opinion for ground school

For the nuts and bolts of actual flying, the best book is Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual.

Based on absolutely no evidence, it has always been my feeling that Jepp books are written by English majors, not pilots.

Bob Gardner

Ditto. His jokes are corny but he presents it in a much more consumable format than the IFH. I started to fall asleep reading the IFH as a student. Now that I'm an actual instrument-rated pilot and the stuff is familiar it's a decent reference though.

Based on absolutely no evidence, it has always been my feeling that Jepp books are written by English majors, not pilots.

I thought they were written by graphic designers. But there's something not quite right about them, I agree.

Do your self a favor, Haggle the price on kings online ifr course, easy to watch Martha explaining and get many practice test.
I know ppl got the ifr online course for 200 bucks no books all online.

I thought they were written by graphic designers. But there's something not quite right about them, I agree.

My Jepp Instrument & Commercial book makes a good door stop. As something to study as an IFR student, it was a colossal waste of money. I could have bought two or three good books for what it cost.

Ditto. His jokes are corny but he presents it in a much more consumable format than the IFH. I started to fall asleep reading the IFH as a student. Now that I'm an actual instrument-rated pilot and the stuff is familiar it's a decent reference though.

I found at least some of his explanation extraordinary.

Like his half page on gyroscopic precession. Explaining that to physics majors gives their professors aneurisms, but Rod did it well.

There are some real gems in there.

As Murphey said, the written comes from a bunch of different texts. If you want one book to cover everything for the written, best to get a written prep book like Gleim. IIRC William Kershner's Instrument Flying Manual was pretty good at learning the IR stuff. I'm cheap and went with the FAA books in PDF.

Bob Gardner

My Jepp Instrument & Commercial book makes a good door stop. As something to study as an IFR student, it was a colossal waste of money. I could have bought two or three good books for what it cost.
Made me want to slap the CFII/ATP who recommended it to me a couple of years ago when I resumed flying. I was left thinking.. "the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a book":mad2:.

It's been sitting in the trunk of my car ever since:lol:.

Last edited:
Jepp stuff gets used in collegiate programs where money is no object and the students must buy whatever is on the course list.

Enough said about that. That should cover it. Haha.

Back