Bonanza crash in residential area, Augusta, GA

Off the departure end of Rwy 05. Been into KDNL numerous times and there’s just no where to go off that rwy. Urban/suburban area with zero options.

Someone on the Georgia Pilots Facebook group said he was returning to the field because the door popped open. Very sad.

Sad day. RIP

It’s too bad we hear of the door popping open and an accident likely caused be the distraction.

What type of info about a door coming open? I didn’t see mention of any ATC call with an issue?

Was there evidence of a door open at the crash site?

Someone on the Georgia Pilots Facebook group said he was returning to the field because the door popped open. Very sad.
I hope that's not it. That would be such a needless loss.

No joking around, I do think every pilot would be a little better off with at least one flight in a cub or similar aircraft. Among other things, to experience that a door or side window just isn't something you need in a 70 mph airplane. Or a 200 mph airplane.

Or 500KCAS+ airplane for that matter, though it's highly encouraged you keep it below 225 for the sake of your limbs.....I'll post the evidence here when I retire in a few years ;)

I hope that's not it. That would be such a needless loss.

No joking around, I do think every pilot would be a little better off with at least one flight in a cub or similar aircraft. Among other things, to experience that a door or side window just isn't something you need in a 70 mph airplane. Or a 200 mph airplane.
I’ve experienced this a lot, especially having a Piper where the pax closes the door. Ok it’s probably the door not my pax, I usually touch it to confirm it’s closed but the latch can pop due to pressure on takeoff.

Same routine, I shout don’t touch it, never a big problem (maybe because I shouted don’t touch it?), rather it’s annoying. Once the workload decreases we can usually fix it in flight.

A local instructor and student brought a Mooney down here a few months back after getting distracted from a popped door. Seems wild to think about, but sure enough it happens.

I had the door pop open on a young eagles flight. It unfortunately scared the crud out of the poor kid for the 5 minutes it took to land. He was fine after landing

My first flight with my wife, top latch on piper Archer popped loose. Completed flight 1.0 hr told her no biggie, just a little noise. Leave it alone.

Once while flying in an acro contest, my door popped open while I was flying a loop. I switched stick hands and relatched it while inverted. I will continue to post that story every time another open door accident thread pops up, which is distressingly often. It just shouldn't be a big deal.

Once while flying in an acro contest, my door popped open while I was flying a loop. I switched stick hands and relatched it while inverted. I will continue to post that story every time another open door accident thread pops up, which is distressingly often. It just shouldn't be a big deal.
Yes and then there's option 2 which is to do nothing (at least for Cherokees, Mooneys and Bonanzas). Actually, not nothing, more just keep flying the plane and land if it's bothersome.

While I appreciate you posting this, I really don't see how it would help matters for me to go inverted if the door of my Musketeer ever pops open.

While I appreciate you posting this, I really don't see how it would help matters for me to go inverted if the door of my Musketeer ever pops open.
Well, if you had the aerobatic version of the Musketeer... :biggrin:

Maybe if you rolled onto right knife edge the airflow would shut the door?

Make sure you shut the engine down before going inverted. ;)

Back