Bombardier...

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by 3393RP, Feb 5, 2020.

1. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
  2. Scrabo

Scrabo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scrabo
    Didn’t think there was any new Lears in the pipeline, they stopped work on the 45 at least 2 years ago.

3. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    Can't blame them, but I don't know why anyone would want the Lear part of the company, aside from the name. I see very few Lears out there in comparison to Challengers, Citations, Beechjets, etc.

4. nauga

nauga Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    Challengers (and Global Express) are part of the Bombardier Business Jet line.

Nauga,
    in another life

denverpilot likes this.
  5. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    That would fit nice with the sale of the transport aircraft program to Mitsubishi last year

6. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    They're still on the hook for hundreds of millions if the Airbus A220 joint venture doesn't become profitable soon.

7. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    Yea, I meant the Learjet part. Kind of a dead brand these days.

8. Rick182

Rick182 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Rick
    Agreed. I’ve not been able to figure out the value proposition(s) for a new Learjet these days.

9. bnt83

bnt83 Final Approach PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brian
    They might as well ax the Challengers or 680 lines and do more consolidating. Its amazing how bloated this industry is with competing products, to the point I wonder if they are profitable. The SEP has always been worse
    The 45 first flew in 1995 and ended production in 2012 with 642 built (per Wiki) The 70 and 75 are still in production, which is basically a newer design of the 45. I've worked on a 75, the Garmin suite is a much better fit IMHO

10. NJP_MAN

NJP_MAN Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    They dont make the Express any more. Just the 5500,6500 and 7500

11. nauga

nauga Pattern Altitude PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    Fair enough. My point was that there is considerably more to the business unit and the potential acquisition than the Lear line.

Nauga,
    and the sum of his parts

denverpilot likes this.
  12. NJP_MAN

NJP_MAN Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shawn
    I see. I think a lot of people dont realize how old fashioned the Global Express is today compared to the Current Global Offerings.

nauga likes this.
  13. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    3393RP
    My OP mentioning the Learjet line appearing to be the odd man out took into account the rather healthy sales of the Global products. Challenger sales are weak too.

I could see a consolidation with the end result being the Cessna CJ products and the X+, and the Global line chasing the big market. The Lear and Challenger lines would be halted.

Embraer has built themselves into a problem with their Praetor product. It seems no one wants them. Not only that, Embraer's tie up with Boeing while creating a separate entity for the bizjet part of the house, plus spinning off their military business as a wholly owned subsidiary will be a tough dance to boogie.

14. N1120A

N1120A Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1120A
    They only sold the CRJ program to Mitsubishi. The C-Series is a JV with Airbus, now called the A220.

They've talked about dumping the JV.

Embraer has a huge hit with the Phenom, but they definitely need to figure out what they are.

I don't see why the Challenger would be halted. They don't exactly match up with the Citation product, especially from a range perspective. The X+ isn't built anymore.

15. Tarheelpilot

Tarheelpilot En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tarheelpilot
    Yep. That’s the case.

16. GRG55

GRG55 Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    It's like the automobile business in the twentieth century. Lots of government money around the world supporting an economically irrational and unsustainable amount of "strategically important domestic manufacturing" production capacity. Followed by the inevitable roll-up. Packard, Hudson, Studebaker, American Motors are just a few of the casualties. The financial crisis bailouts, subsequent extinguishing of even more capacity and brands and continuing mergers and JVs are indicators the cycle is far from over.

We are seeing the same pattern play out in GA. It's just working its way up the food chain from piston to jets. It might even get to commercial airplane makers; between the increasing demonization of hydrocarbon fuel consumption and the potential for the Chinese to eventually disrupt the current duopoly, there is genuine risk (amplified by Boeing Commercial Airplane's attempt at suicide). The "aerospace industry" has in recent decades been seen as just as strategically important as car manufacturing used to be viewed by governments. Whether Bombardier, Embraer, Airbus or Boeing, finding ways to subsidize directly or indirectly is a multinational government pastime.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
    wheaties likes this.