Bolt Action Rifle

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
My sister has indicated a desire for a rifle for christmas. I know nothing about such things, except that you point it in the direction of what you want to shoot and pull the trigger. Ask Teller, he has been out at the Ames Pilot Shootouts with me, and i basically suck at it.

So she wants to target shoot. She says she wants a bolt action rifle. Educate me. Of course she wants something pretty nice. I dont want to go broke. Recommendations?

Does she know anything about shooting (and therefore she might have something in mind?).

If she's just beginning, there are a lot of small-caliber (.22-sized) rifles that are quite good and not very expensive for shooting at 50-100 yards, or longer. Visiting a local shooting club would be a good way to get advice.

If she's interested in long-distance shooting, it's both a bigger gun and more money.

Pilot Shootouts? Is that how you guys settle incursion issues or not returning rentals on time?

:hairraise:

Does she know anything about shooting (and therefore she might have something in mind?).

If she's just beginning, there are a lot of small-caliber (.22-sized) rifles that are quite good and not very expensive for shooting at 50-100 yards, or longer. Visiting a local shooting club would be a good way to get advice.

If she's interested in long-distance shooting, it's both a bigger gun and more money.

yes she has taken hunters safety and done some shooting at the local Izaac Walton range. She turned out to be quite a natural, out shot everyone in her class, and really enjoyed it. Her future boyfriends should beware.

I'd suspect that the 50-100 yard range would be what she is looking for.

Pilot Shootouts? Is that how you guys settle incursion issues or not returning rentals on time?

:hairraise:

nah my boss in Ames has quite a collection, we go out to his farm and throw ammo into his yard. its a fun time.

She needs to decide what her "mission" is. If it is just target practice, a 22 would be the cheapest way. (Ammo is getting expensive and 22's are the cheapest). A more consistent plinker and varmint gun would be a .17 HMR. The ammo is more but the gun is more accurate out to long distances and has no kick, like the .22. But then she'll need a spotting scope because you can't see the holes in the target otherwise :).
If she wants to hunt also, then I like a 30-06. it is a very versatile hunting rifle. I have a Ruger Model 77 and it has killed every deer I've shot at. A box of ammo is over $30/20 bullets now so you can burn up a lot of cash if you do much target shooting with it.

I like to get rifles with a wood stock. That way I can have it cut down to my size. Makes it easier to shoulder and get my eye in the sight. Most of the composite stocks can't be cut down.

Barb

thanks barb. i did ask her to define her mission and she said it was just target shooting.

oh i dont see any hunting in her future

22 is a nice rifle for target work.
It won't break your wallet or your shoulder if you want to spend the "day" at the range.

You might want to include a spotters scope with the rifle, 22 shots are hard to see on a target at 100 yards.

Mark B

I'll throw a vote in for a 22 for her as well. No kick (you can shoot it all day if you want) and cheap(er) ammo (you can shoot it all day if you want). There is a wide range of 22's available from 'bargain basement cheap' to 'way more than a 22 should ever cost' with everything in between. Ruger has a good name throughout most guns. Remington is pretty good as well, though sometimes hard to get worked on if necessary. My knock-around 22 is actually an OLD 'Sears' model. Still shoots fine after God-knows how many rounds have been put through it.

Do a google search for reviews of 22 caliber rifles. They'll consider everything from durability of the rifling, to construction of the wood components, etc. etc. You want to get her something that will last a long time since this will be her first rifle. You can get a last-forever 22 without breaking the bank these days.

Oh yeah.. And shop around.. Closer to the holidays you can usually find some "gun + scope" combos offered. I'm referring to mounted scope as opposed to spotter's scope, though.

Happy shooting!

nah my boss in Ames has quite a collection, we go out to his farm and throw ammo into his yard. its a fun time.

I don't think "collection" is quite the right word...armory, perhaps. And you were pretty darn good with the .22 pistol at five yards, if I remember :goofy:

Target shooting for a beginner? Definitely a .22 cal rimfire rifle (there are also .22 cal centerfire rifles, but those are high powered varmint hunting weapons unsuitable for the average indoor target range or beginning marksmanship training). Anschutz ("Sporter"), Kimber (Model 82), Marlin (Model 2000L), Sako (Rimfire Hunter -- and yes, it's a target rifle), and Savage (Model 900TR) all make rifles in this class -- see their web sites for details, but expect to spend upwards of $500 for a new rifle in this class. However, if you can find a good, used Winchester Model 52 (no longer in production, but we used them on my high school rifle team 40 years ago) that fits her, buy it. Other older models available on the used market include the Remington 540X and 541T.

Only thing is that you definitely want to have her around to "try it on," as the length of the stock and other sizing features are important for comfort and accuracy.

However, if you can find a good, used Winchester Model 52 (no longer in production, but we used them on my high school rifle team 40 years ago) that fits her, buy it.
Hey I have 8 years behind a 52 D model, mounted in a free rifle stock, high school and college. Good rifle for targets!

-Skip

What are you guys thinking of?

Is she going to be doing competitive shooting, or plinking?

Tony, I suggest you talk to her mentor at the range. Don't listen to the nonsense responses you got here...

As somebody suggested, the mission has to be defined -- don't just go out and buy something based on the BS heard here...

Maybe she needs a serious rifle or not, but ...

Bob,

shes just looking for a .22 to do some target shooting at the local range with. nothing too serious about it. she has experience shooting .22's and liked it, and was pretty good at it.

dont worry im not buying her a 5000 dollar rifle. :D

In all seriousness, check out local pawn shops for a good .22. I have purchased several very fine long guns at reasonable prices from local pawn shops. It will take some looking but good deals can be had for less than $200. Heck, under $150 is very doable.

In all seriousness, check out local pawn shops for a good .22. I have purchased several very fine long guns at reasonable prices from local pawn shops. It will take some looking but good deals can be had for less than $200. Heck, under $150 is very doable.

Thank you I thought I was the only one who hunted in the pawn shops.

I bought an old Mossberg 22 bolt action with peeps, for 25 bucks from a pawn shop long ago and shoot it when ever I can, and it works great. I think every kid in our family learned to shoot using it.

In 22 cal, it does not pay to go big bucks for a beginer, if it turns out to be a fad your stuck with a $500, 22. If she really goes nutz with it, she can move up to a target rifle, and all the equipment that goes with it.

For starters, the old mossberg is good enough, but if you want new for Christmas, you can spend a bunch, but you won't get any better than the Remington model 5.

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 10
Check the CZ line of rifles in .22 rimfire.

Hey guys I'm back. Long story, not totally there yet.

I've had my Lakefield Mark II .22 rifle since kindergarten. Never a problem. Not sure if the company is still around--I think they were Canadian.

Hey I have 8 years behind a 52 D model, mounted in a free rifle stock, high school and college. Good rifle for targets!

-Skip

And I put a lot of rounds through a 52D in college. That was a very nice rifle. WSU ROTC Rifle Team from 1970 through 1974.

Hummmm a woman shooter.......so i am thinking something small that can be handled easy.....like a Thompson Contender....mabe a 45/70.....??

Stick with a .22 semi auto ruger...Quick, Easy, Dependable (For those Big game Hunts)

The nice thing about picking up a popular used rifle like an old Winchester 52 is that even if you spend several hundred dollars, you can probably get as much as you paid for it if she doesn't stick with it and you have to sell it later. Buying a new rifle can be like buying a new car -- you lose a big chunk of value when the first round goes through the barrel.

What are you guys thinking of?

Is she going to be doing competitive shooting, or plinking?

Tony, I suggest you talk to her mentor at the range. Don't listen to the nonsense responses you got here...

As somebody suggested, the mission has to be defined -- don't just go out and buy something based on the BS heard here...

Maybe she needs a serious rifle or not, but ...

Oh, Bob, I'm just having some fun. I thought by virtue of the complete overkill (no pun intended) of a Barrett that my offering was an obvious joke, to gun folks and non-gun folks alike. That and the big grinning face at the end. Must not have been as obvious as I thought.

Just as a reminder, Tony said up front that she wants a bolt-action target rifle. Not a pistol, not semi-automatic, not breech-loading.

I would highly recommed this setup for target shooting. Comes complete with shooting coach... :)

HuntingDog.jpg

chuck - thats just disturbing. and im afraid that she would like it :eek:

The nice thing about picking up a popular used rifle like an old Winchester 52 is that even if you spend several hundred dollars, you can probably get as much as you paid for it if she doesn't stick with it and you have to sell it later. Buying a new rifle can be like buying a new car -- you lose a big chunk of value when the first round goes through the barrel.

That is why I suggested the pawn shop and the used Mossberg, but he said Christmas present, and I thought new in the box under the tree.

New Guns hold their value very well and you won't have any worries how it was used and cared for in the past.

buy it new, care for it properly, and it is a life time possesion. 50 years from now she'll say "My Brother Tony bought this for me" = price less.

I have a 30:30 winchester 94, that my father in law bought new in 1921, it is the only year that they made it with a stainless steel reciver, I wouldn't sell it for love or money, he is no longer with us,,, but the gun is..

Last edited:
Yah, but a Ruger 10/22 is still a nice rifle and is pretty accurate at 100yds even with a simple scope. And I think they are still less than $150.

Barb
Absolutely! I love mine. Ruger makes a dedicated target version with an adjustable stock and a bull barrel. Very nice rifle for less than 500$.

Absolutely! I love mine. Ruger makes a dedicated target version with an adjustable stock and a bull barrel. Very nice rifle for less than 500$.

How's the trigger? It seems most stock "target" firearms are "lawyerized" and the triggers are not nearly light enough for target shooting. I haven't shot the target 10/22, but the regular stock 10/22 has a pretty rough and heavy trigger pull if I recall.

How's the trigger? It seems most stock "target" firearms are "lawyerized" and the triggers are not nearly light enough for target shooting. I haven't shot the target 10/22, but the regular stock 10/22 has a pretty rough and heavy trigger pull if I recall.

Not remotely as bad as the trigger on my .22 that I got when I was a kid. Single shot bolt action Springfield that you cock manually after closing the bolt. The trigger mechanism is really crude and I'd hate to even guess how many pounds the pull is. But I nailed a lot of ground squirrels with it when I was younger. Really made me appreciate the Winchester 52D I had on the ROTC rifle team. :D

Out of curiousity, what do you mean by "lawyerized?" I assume there have been product liability suits in the past regarding trigger pull?

Don't worry - I'm not offended or anything, but am just curious. I haven't heard the term used in relation to triggers before!

As far as triggers and stock firearms, I agree with you. I've had a Ruger 22 for a long time (can't remember the model no., but it's a semi and not a bolt). It's great for shooting coke cans, but I wouldn't use it for real target shooting - the trigger requires too heavy of a pull.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tony, as far as your "gun hunt" is going, if your daughter is consider doing any competitive shooting, try to find a rifle that has a light trigger pull. It makes a huge difference in accuracy. Not in terms of the rifle's capability, but in terms of not jerking the trigger (and therefore the gun) - the lighter the pull, the less apt the shooter is to move the rifle when pulling the trigger.

Also, you might want to consider getting your daughter a rifle with peep sights. If you're not familiar with what those are, the basic idea is that they are highly precise open sights - google the term and I'm sure you'll find something.

The reason I suggest that is because it's my personal opinion that anybody can shoot with a scope and a rest at 100 yards. It's a point of pride, and I think a mark of distinction, to be able to do with open sights what everyone else uses a scope for.

Last edited:
Dave - good ideas. And its my sister. No kids here :D

Back