Boeing 787 making headway

http://flightblogger.blogspot.com/ has a lot of info. The guy who runs it, Jon Ostrower, is a former student of mine. Great guy. I dont know what his connection with Boeing is but hes seems to get all the inside info.

http://flightblogger.blogspot.com/ has a lot of info. The guy who runs it, Jon Ostrower, is a former student of mine. Great guy. I dont know what his connection with Boeing is but hes seems to get all the inside info.

avweb reported it was Jons blog that tipped off the photog

Interesting- no winglets... but there seems to be a cool little upward curvature at the wing tips shown in the pics... I also see a departure from the traditional Boeing tailcone on this plane.

Looking back through that blog, it was very interesting to see this a/c take form... Reminiscent of the TV program on the designing of the 777...

Last edited:
If you go to www.newairplane.com, they have announced this week as Boeing Week, and are releasing a video each day this week about the corresponding 7-series airplane in preparation for the official unveiling of the 787 on 7/8/7. So far you can only watch the 707, 717, and 727. They'll be releasing 737 on 7/03/07, 747 on 7/04/07, and so on. I think it's a really cool and clever marketing plan. Enjoy!

the most impressive thing to me is the relative size of the engines. that thing is gonna scoot

If you go to www.newairplane.com, they have announced this week as Boeing Week, and are releasing a video each day this week about the corresponding 7-series airplane in preparation for the official unveiling of the 787 on 7/8/7. So far you can only watch the 707, 717, and 727. They'll be releasing 737 on 7/03/07, 747 on 7/04/07, and so on. I think it's a really cool and clever marketing plan. Enjoy!

so when does the 787 video come out? coincidentally, "8 Days a Week" by the Fab Four is on the radio now...

edit: *SMACK ON FOREHEAD* *write reminder to READ entire post before replying* jeesh...

What's up with the jagged edges on the engine nacelles?

I wonder how many airlines will equip it like the roomy and pleasant airplane it was meant to be, and how many will cram in as many tight uncomfortable seats as possible.

What's up with the jagged edges on the engine nacelles?

I wonder how many airlines will equip it like the roomy and pleasant airplane it was meant to be, and how many will cram in as many tight uncomfortable seats as possible.

A few of the first kind, and all too many of the second. Amazing how they (the airlines, not Boeing) can screw up a perfectly good airplane.

Interesting- no winglets... but there seems to be a cool little upward curvature at the wing tips shown in the pics... I also see a departure from the traditional Boeing tailcone on this plane.

Looking back through that blog, it was very interesting to see this a/c take form... Reminiscent of the TV program on the designing of the 777...
Looks like winglets to me.:yes:

Attachments

• dreamliner.jpg
    dreamliner.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
weird...
PiperPA-28CherokeeWithHugeWinglets01.jpg

Maybe they're winglet-lets.

What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

:goofy:

SOLDIER #1: Where'd you get the coconuts?
ARTHUR: We found them.
SOLDIER #1: Found them? In Mercia? The coconut's tropical!
ARTHUR: What do you mean?
SOLDIER #1: Well, this is a temperate zone.
ARTHUR: The swallow may fly south with the sun or the house martin or the plover may seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our land?
SOLDIER #1: Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
ARTHUR: Not at all. They could be carried.
SOLDIER #1: What? A swallow carrying a coconut?
ARTHUR: It could grip it by the husk!
SOLDIER #1: It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios! A five ounce bird could not carry a one pound coconut.
ARTHUR: Well, it doesn't matter. Will you go and tell your master that Arthur from the Court of Camelot is here?
SOLDIER #1: Listen. In order to maintain air-speed velocity, a swallow needs to beat its wings forty-three times every second, right?
ARTHUR: Please!
SOLDIER #1: Am I right?
ARTHUR: I'm not interested!
SOLDIER #2: It could be carried by an African swallow!
SOLDIER #1: Oh, yeah, an African swallow maybe, but not a European swallow. That's my point.

SOLDIER #2: Oh, yeah, I agree with that.
ARTHUR: Will you ask your master if he wants to join my court at Camelot?!
SOLDIER #1: But then of course a-- African swallows are non-migratory.
SOLDIER #2: Oh, yeah.
SOLDIER #1: So, they couldn't bring a coconut back anyway. [clop clop clop]
SOLDIER #2: Wait a minute! Supposing two swallows carried it together? SOLDIER #1: No, they'd have to have it on a line.

SOLDIER #2: Well, simple! They'd just use a strand of creeper!
SOLDIER #1: What, held under the dorsal guiding feathers?
SOLDIER #2: Well, why not?

Last edited:
Asked my son, who works for Boeing in Oklahoma City. He says the wings are “raked”, “swept” no “lets” .
So there you have it
Ron

Back