BMW *sigh*

I have about 125,000 on my 2006 Lexus IS350. I drive that thing like a mofo and it has been amazingly dependable. When it comes time to get a new ride (soon) I'll definitely be giving the IS-F a look. Used to own a 2003 Mustang... never buying an American car again.

Silly talk; don't buy a bad car.

Most American cars are every bit as good as, and in some instances, better than, their competition from asian shores.

The first Japanese cars were a sad and pathetic joke - but they were *cheap* - and they got better.

The first Japanese cars were a sad and pathetic joke - but they were *cheap* - and they got better.

I have a friend whose family bought one of the first Toyota Coronas to be imported to the US (1968?). They still own it, it's still a daily driver (commuting to work), and all they've ever done were tune-ups and fluid changes. And they've replaced the seats at least once, because the springs got saggy after all those miles.

Heh. And he lives here?

Will you be my dad? I wanna buy a car that won't work half the year here and you'll loan me a useful one for the winter, right? ;)

LOL... He probably needs to sell the toy car, until he can afford both. :) :) :)

But you're a nice guy for doing it. Heh heh.

Maybe he'd sell you the Mustang??? Hahaha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

30 years ago when he was little. No, he lives here in Olympia. Needless to say, the Wrangler will spend most of the time in the garage, just driven now and then to keep it running. Why do I still have it? Kelly BB indicated it's trade in value was north of $4000 and the dealer offered me $800 when I bought the Escape. Needless to say, I kept the Jeep. The Escape is far more comfortable. Gets significantly better gas mileage, too. :yes:

I had a 1970 VW type 1, bought it for $1000 and between me commuting to school 90 miles per day, 2 girls learning to drive on it and driving it from Oak Harbor to the U. we put 650,000 miles on it, finally one day the corrosion allowed the drivers seat to drop thru the floor. Fortunately it was in the drive way when it happened. I had replaced almost every thing in the car at least once.

The guy I sold it to changed the floor pan and I still see it around town.

I had a 1970 VW type 1, bought it for $1000 and between me commuting to school 90 miles per day, 2 girls learning to drive on it and driving it from Oak Harbor to the U. we put 650,000 miles on it, finally one day the corrosion allowed the drivers seat to drop thru the floor. Fortunately it was in the drive way when it happened. I had replaced almost every thing in the car at least once.

The guy I sold it to changed the floor pan and I still see it around town.

I have a 2003 Corolla that I've put over 220k miles on. I've never had to do anything significant to it. Still original clutch, original rear drum brakes. I replaced the front brake pads a couple of years ago...for the first time as far as I can ever remember. I changed the front struts once. Just swapped my serpentine belt today for the second or third time since purchase.

I'm nearly certain the car will deteriorate around me before the engine quits. Right now the clear coat is peeling badly (damn FL sun) and the paint is fading.

It's been so dependable that I couldn't bear to get rid of it until it dies. And I'd look real hard at another Corolla once a new acquisition is in order. I do wonder whether the quality of new Corollas is as good as older ones.

Most American cars are every bit as good as, and in some instances, better than, their competition from asian shores.

I've owned 5 German, 4 Japanese, and 5 American cars, and I doubt I'll own another foreign car going forward. I've found the Japanese and American cars to be equivalent on reliability, but American car parts are way less expensive and they are easier to service. Also, equivalent American models are generally $1-2k less on purchase price. The German cars have been well below the others on reliability and repairs are expensive.

Yes, the Germans have a knack for driving feel, but is galls me to no end to pay $50-60k for a car that isn't as reliable as a Civic or Focus. Come on, guys, all that cash and you can't build a reliable car? Really? I'm over that.

I'm very pleased with my latest Ford, a '14 Mustang GT 5.0, what a fun car. I just may have to start a reserve for rear tires :yikes:

If you JUST bought the car - I'd prob get the dealership manager or owner involved right now - and I would look up your State's lemon law - and become familiar with its express terms - and the MOMENT it becomes effective - get them to buy the car back.

Our state's lemon law sucks lemons. Gary Drewing, who owns the vast majority of the dealerships in our area, broke out the statute for me when I asked for a new car after taking my new Mustang in to his repair shop for a problem that just wouldn't go away. The gist of our law is that it's the dealer's choice as to whether they refund your money or give you another vehicle of comparable value. Mr. Drewing told me "...and you won't like the vehicle of comparable value you'd get".

I don't get all this Lemon Law discussion, he's had one problem so far and the dealer is fixing it, there is no Lemon Law in any state that is anywhere close to in effect yet. As for a couple days to diagnose the problem, WTF do you want? BMW service shops are busy with those POSs.

It's almost impossible to get a vehicle taken back under the lemon law anyway.

They are putting a new starter motor in too. Should be done by tomorrow afternoon. :goofy:

I am glad it did it for them too, and not just me. :mad2:

Lemon Laws vary greatly by state, but it has gotten tougher to get one bought back in the last 5+ years. In the "good old days" we had the ability to get "trade assistance" from Ford to help someone trade out of a car that had a problem repaired, but didn't qualify for Lemon Law, in order to make the customer happy we could get from $1-5K to make a deal! :yes:
Well, of course our friends in California sued to have these vehicles declared Lemons and the program went away. :mad2:

They are putting a new starter motor in too. Should be done by tomorrow afternoon. :goofy:

My BIL bought a car that had been taken back under the lemon law for WIND NOISE. . . . said Lemon Law right on the title. . .

USAA = what state you in??

My BIL bought a car that had been taken back under the lemon law for WIND NOISE. . . . said Lemon Law right on the title. . .

I am in Wisconsin.

I'm sure the car will be fine.

It was others on here that said lemon law...I didn't mention it...hahaha :D

We sold a truck that was a Lemon Law buyback, it had the same complaint, wind noise! It turned out the entire side of the truck had been removed and rewelded back together!!!:mad2: What a nightmare, I bet it did have wind noise! :rofl:

Sunbeam. Ran for years. Had a flywheel. LOL.

30 years ago when he was little. No, he lives here in Olympia. Needless to say, the Wrangler will spend most of the time in the garage, just driven now and then to keep it running. Why do I still have it? Kelly BB indicated it's trade in value was north of $4000 and the dealer offered me $800 when I bought the Escape. Needless to say, I kept the Jeep. The Escape is far more comfortable. Gets significantly better gas mileage, too. :yes:

Ahh. Got it. Makes sense.

I mixed you up with Greg who's here not there. You live in that rainy place top left of the map. ;)

I've owned 5 German, 4 Japanese, and 5 American cars, and I doubt I'll own another foreign car going forward. I've found the Japanese and American cars to be equivalent on reliability, but American car parts are way less expensive and they are easier to service. Also, equivalent American models are generally $1-2k less on purchase price. The German cars have been well below the others on reliability and repairs are expensive.

Yes, the Germans have a knack for driving feel, but is galls me to no end to pay $50-60k for a car that isn't as reliable as a Civic or Focus. Come on, guys, all that cash and you can't build a reliable car? Really? I'm over that.

I'm very pleased with my latest Ford, a '14 Mustang GT 5.0, what a fun car. I just may have to start a reserve for rear tires :yikes:

The German cars are "hey, look at me" automobiles.

At the end of WW2 we should have gave Germany to the Russians and left. :yes:

The German cars are "hey, look at me" automobiles.

At the end of WW2 we should have gave Germany to the Russians and left. :yes:

True, but isn't any car except a bare bones Hyundai/Chevy/Nissan etc saying "hey...look at me"?

Cool....thanks. Hoping it won't come to that though.

seems like your problem is being in a state without alot of BMW dealers - so the local knowledge is pretty low

Did the dealer not give you a loaner? You just bought a car from them which has been broken down longer than you drove it - if my dealer did not give me a very nice loaner - I'd be really ****ed. . . .

seems like your problem is being in a state without alot of BMW dealers - so the local knowledge is pretty low

Did the dealer not give you a loaner? You just bought a car from them which has been broken down longer than you drove it - if my dealer did not give me a very nice loaner - I'd be really ****ed. . . .

Yea, only 3 dealers in the state. Green Bay, Madison, Milwaukee. They offered a loaner right off the bat, but I have the ranger, so I am driving that.

I own a Kia Rio and a 78 series Toyota Landcruiser. Practicality and dependability are what I'm after, not trying to impress others.

YMMV.

I didn't buy it to show off.

No really I didn't...I swear!:D

I like how it drives. Good power, solid feel.

I wish Chevy or Ford's name was on it. It would have cost less.

I like how it drives. Good power, solid feel.

I've been very impressed with the Mustang, Ford has really tamed the live axle, the thing corners and goes well.

I test drove a variety of sporty cars when I was shopping: VW GTI, Mazda Miata, The Subaru/Toyota BRZ twins, Focus ST, Nissan 370Z, BMW 335 coupe, and Mercedes Benz C350 coupe.

The Germans and the Mustang were clearly ahead of the others, and the Mustang is the outright performance champ of the group. The German ride is slightly more sophisticated with the IRS vs live axle, but the cars are otherwise very similar in feel and even interior quality.

I couldn't see paying $15k more for less performance, and to equal the Mustang, one has to buy an M3 or C63, both of which are ~$65-70k.

I've owned BMW inline 6's and Benz V-8's, and Ford's 5.0 Coyote engine is world class, smooth, good torque, 420hp, and it's a revver. 6500rpm redline and it eagerly pulls hard all the way, I still sometimes bang it off the rev limiter.

Very pleased, nice car.

I've been very impressed with the Mustang, Ford has really tamed the live axle, the thing corners and goes well.

Hmmmm, didn't I see that Ford just killed the live rear axle for 2015? I think one of the big changes is IRS.

Hmmmm, didn't I see that Ford just killed the live rear axle for 2015? I think one of the big changes is IRS.

Yes, they are finally going to IRS, but the old car does pretty well. My Ford truck is now 13 years old and going strong, I hope to enjoy the Mustang for a long time to come.

When it comes time to get a new ride (soon) I'll definitely be giving the IS-F a look.
I don't care what handling purists say, IS-F would be sweet. But the price of that thing is somewhat insane.

30 years later I still avoid Chrysler products.

I had a very good luck with 1G Neon, although, of course, it had all the usual Neon problems. At 46k I had to swap a head gasket, for example. But it was only $866 and it lasted for 130k miles after that (when I sold it).

Currently I drive a 2010 Wrangler with the minivan engine, and it works great for what it is.

Germany's secret weapon ------> sticking Americans with their cars????

Germany's secret weapon ------> sticking Americans with their cars????
Could be worse ...

090613_127.JPG

Back