Blue Angels on flight aware?

While I'm glad to see the Blues finally get some newer equipment, it will be sad to see the Legacy Hornets go. I understand their routine is getting quite a few modifications because the Super Hornets are bigger, heavier, and less maneuverable than the Legacy ones were. Probably not as bad as the Phantoms hopefully.
On a positive note, there will be less maintenance demand per flight hour and parts availability will be better. At 106 those of us on the E/F side always commented at how much more we flew than the C/D side of the house. Of course, while on det in Key West that always worked against us as they were out partying long before we ever caught the last bird of the day and put it to bed. It also meant we had to fight like hell for our Sailors to get better Evals as they had all the time in the world for extra duties, school, and volunteer time which made them look like a better Sailor on paper.

I'm curious about that "first super" paint job at NAS JAX. Why there? Is that where they all are painted?

I love the Legacy.....the "lords chariot" if you will. It IS faster, at least in a normal configuration. But the T/W ratio of a slicked off Rhino (i.e. no tank, no pylons) is fantastic, and will compete or outmatch any Legacy depending on motor......the -402 motor Chucks and A++ were pretty similar, but 400 motors....no comparison. At or near sea level, that thing (especially in single seat form) will live right on the G limiter and even accelerate. I actually think this will allow for at least the same, if not a slightly more impressive show than the Legacy could give. The weight, size, and slightly more sluggish roll will be transparent to anyone watching from the cheap seats. Just my .02. Also, the low lot jets are a bit lighter than what we fly in the fleet currently, which only adds to the performance.

Cecil is east coast depot mx spot. Much like North Island for west coast. FRC/I level lives at all fleet concentration areas, but those center barrel replacements (old news) don't happen there, nor do pulling jets from deep death 10 years ago. Pretty cool stuff those guys/gals do actually, if I do say so myself.

Yeah Cecil has kept pretty busy post NAS life. Got Army NG UH-60s, CG HH-65s, CBP P-3s, F-18 depot, F-16 drone maint, various airline maint and GA. However, the best memories I have are from its Master Jet Base days.

511A4665-729B-4973-A78B-2BD7CD3BF3C2.jpeg

Watched the Blues fly right by my office today - nice! Unfortunately, forgot to bring my "grown-up " camera, took iphone video, which was decidedly blah.

It's OK - there is nothing bad about seeing either demonstration team flying by.

Watched the Blues fly right by my office today - nice! Unfortunately, forgot to bring my "grown-up " camera, took iphone video, which was decidedly blah.

It's OK - there is nothing bad about seeing either demonstration team flying by.

This was over Dallas. They didn’t want anyone within 10 miles of them so I was way south with a zoom.

95a60e8b8298a4b5d39f206fd12c219a.jpg

@Groundpounder, how did you find that tanker track on flightaware?

They are coming through Jacksonville Friday so I understand, passing not to far from the house. I'll probably be able to spot them...but I thought it might be interesting to track that tanker too....
oh never mind...just dawned on me the post I saw said they are taking off mayport before the loop around the city....so the tanker would meet up with them at some point south I suppose.

@Groundpounder, how did you find that tanker track on flightaware?

They are coming through Jacksonville Friday so I understand, passing not to far from the house. I'll probably be able to spot them...but I thought it might be interesting to track that tanker too....
oh never mind...just dawned on me the post I saw said they are taking off mayport before the loop around the city....so the tanker would meet up with them at some point south I suppose.

FC14F39D-8AB1-4593-8A7B-FB0D086D6BBB.jpeg
Yeah looks like they start at Mayport. Pretty good for a staging area. Not much military traffic and lots of ramp space. I used to use Mayport for XC instrument check rides in the Army.

View attachment 85569
Yeah looks like they start at Mayport. Pretty good for a staging area. Not much military traffic and lots of ramp space. I used to use Mayport for XC instrument check rides in the Army.

I don't think they are landing during these missions. They depart Pensacola in the morning, tank in flight, and go home. That way they don't need any ground support for them.

Back