Blew a tire..

I would think that landing VERY flat at will requires great skill. Landing with little control over the attitude of the airplane, on the other hand ... :rofl:

I guess slow flight was pointless since everyone drives it to the ground and touches down @ or near three points nowadays :rolleyes:

I guess slow flight was pointless since everyone drives it to the ground and touches down @ or near three points nowadays :rolleyes:

Well, I know that I would be hard-pressed to touch down gently on all three wheels at exactly the same instant. In no wind conditions, of course. :D

Well, I know that I would be hard-pressed to touch down gently on all three wheels at exactly the same instant. In no wind conditions, of course. :D

Everyone flys a little different. On those no wind days, I like to see how long I can hold the nose wheel off the ground on roll out. Run out of elevator during deceleration and the nose touches when it's ready. Keep in mind this is high wing cessna products I'm flying. YMMV

No, just the Navy...:D

That is the problem with the JSF....Navy guys might actually have to learn to flare.

Make that 4 points for the Navy. If the hook's not down, a three point landing is a touch and go.

Everyone flys a little different. On those no wind days, I like to see how long I can hold the nose wheel off the ground on roll out. Run out of elevator during deceleration and the nose touches when it's ready. Keep in mind this is high wing cessna products I'm flying. YMMV

Oh, I do not have the skills to attempt to three-point a tricycle. I am doing all I can to three-point a tailwheel. That is why I respect those students that can do it consistently. LOL

As Tom says, dragging a Cessna's tail can ruin that bulkhead. I have also seen stabilizer spar damage; those heavy lead balance weights on the elevator tips just keep going downward when the tail hits and the stab gets flexed downward pretty aggressively, and the aft spar can get kinked or bent and the forward spar cracks around the central lightening hole. The rudder hinges also get flexed and cracked by the rudder's lead weight at its top, and I have replaced several of those. The trike is not a taildragger and has no shock absorption at the tail.

Those skids you see on some airplanes aren't legal. They're not in the IPCs, they're not STC'd or PMA'd or anything. They can get bent upward and foul the rudder. I do wish Cessna had included a proper skid, especially for the 150/152/172 series, airplanes often used for training.

Dan

Last edited:
CTLS has a nice nylon skid block under the tail. 0:36 (embed tag does not take time stamp)

Last edited:
No, just the Navy...:D

That is the problem with the JSF....Navy guys might actually have to learn to flare.

Boy you should see the Marines fly it round the pattern here. All the boards out, high power, tight pattern. The Air Force jocks go round a bigger pattern with one notch of flaps and low power.

And the bird sure looks weird with the long gear haning.

Wait until one of ya'll have to pay to have that rear fuselage bulkhead replaced, because you knocked the tie down ring off.

That ring is a 1/4"X28 threaded eye bolt anchored thru the skin and 1 layer of structure.
To replace the anchor nut and skin the way the structural repair manual says to is about $4500.00

Go ahead and drag them if you got the bucks, we mechanics need the work.
Yep..

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with a nosewheel. Glad you were able to handle it OK.

Boy you should see the Marines fly it round the pattern here. All the boards out, high power, tight pattern. The Air Force jocks go round a bigger pattern with one notch of flaps and low power.

And the bird sure looks weird with the long gear haning.

I haven't seen it in person yet, but I'll have a front row seat for round two of the developmental testing this Aug.

As for the OP, blew a tire at the hangar post flight once. Mechanic had just replaced the tube the week before and though the tire was okay the tube blew after the second flight. Cost me $170 if I remember correctly, and the mechanic one customer.

As for dragging the tail on the ground, I can see no good reason for any part of my plane other than the wheels to touch the ground, but then again I only have a few hundred hours.

I blew a nose wheel on my solo in a 162. What's strange is that it was a total non-event. Thankfully, my instructor killed a main wheel on the same plane earlier in the week. Cessna is the only manufacturer of the wheels for that plane, and at least in the main wheel case, the inner surface of the wheel chaffed a hole in the inner-tube. I don't know what happened with the nose wheel that I broke, but I suspect it was similar. It prevented the next student from flying that day, so I felt really bad.

Back