Bladder Cancer Prognosis

U

Unregistered

I just found out my Dad may have bladder cancer. They are doing more tests but the first ones point to a possibility of it. He was on Actos (diabetes drug) for 8-9 years. They have recently found a link between increased risk of cancer and this drug.

Does anyone have an idea about the prognosis? I hope this is early, if he has it. He's 71.

I just found out my Dad may have bladder cancer. They are doing more tests but the first ones point to a possibility of it. He was on Actos (diabetes drug) for 8-9 years. They have recently found a link between increased risk of cancer and this drug.

Does anyone have an idea about the prognosis? I hope this is early, if he has it. He's 71.
The prognosis depends on several things so more information would be needed and his physician should be able to answer that question. The most common predisposing factor for bladder cancer is smoking.
http://health-med-news.com/health/t...caused-by-tobacco-is-more-than-you-thought-2/

Whatever Gary said.

Bladder cancer has a wide range of aggressiveness. This can go from something 'fixed' in a couple of endoscopic procedures to well, something not so fixable. The best way to get information about this would be to accompany your dad to an appointment with his urologist. Sometimes when it comes to those plumbing issues, it is easier for dads to go over options and consequences with their urologist in presence of a son rather than their spouse.

#1 I wish him all the best.
#2 Dont worry much about the drug issue, makes little to no difference for your dads way forward.

Thank you for the information. He doesn't smoke. He's been on Actos for 8-9 years though. I understand they are only now seeing there may be a link with bladder cancer.

Apparently there are a few lesions on the bladder, and the CAT scan is Tuesday. The doctor told him they probably would not need to take out his bladder and that it looks like they caught things early. I don't know how they know that so soon, it would seem they would need to do more tests first? I don't know how much info is found on the first test they do.

They need to do a scope on him, as well, but he's on coumadin (mechanical valve implanted 20 years ago) which they must wean him off - ten days off they said. I don't know how they know "looks early, probably no need to take out bladder" if they don't have these other tests done yet? I am just wondering. It would be good news already if they could say that confidently.

They also found some kidney cysts which the doc said isn't unusual but they are going to look deeper anyway.

He has a friend who DID smoke for 50 years who had to have his bladder removed. This person had this happen at least 2 years ago (much more advanced, much much more) and he's still here.

So, fingers crossed for the Tuesday test.

ps. and thank you for the kind thoughts, too. He's a trouper, he'll get through this. It's scary though when your parents reach their 70s, this kind of stuff makes you wonder "Is this the time? Is this how it starts? Is this his story?"

ps. and thank you for the kind thoughts, too. He's a trouper, he'll get through this. It's scary though when your parents reach their 70s, this kind of stuff makes you wonder "Is this the time? Is this how it starts? Is this his story?"

Yea. BTDT.

Praying for the best.

The difference between a good and bad prognosis depends on the tumor. If the tumor is localized and has maintained its cellular differentiation it's better, and can probably be more easily removed. If the tumor has not maintained its cellular differentiation, and has begun to spread to other parts of the bladder, it is far more difficult to excise completely. The physicians will likely try and visualize the tumors, to see how big and spread out they are. Odds are a final determination of how good or bad things are will come when they examine the tumors pathologically after they are removed. That will tell them if the tumors have or have not begun to spread. Good luck.

Last edited:
I always just love it when the attorney, posting anon, tries to get support for the Actos lawsuit.... :(

It not very common (though does happen) that Bladder cancer even requires bladder removal....

I always just love it when the attorney, posting anon, tries to get support for the Actos lawsuit.... :(

It not very common (though does happen) that Bladder cancer even requires bladder removal....

Bruce how do you know its "the" attorney? which ever of us that may be.

Adam, I really don't. But I have fallen for this before on a couple of boards, and am quite wary since....
OP said:
He was on Actos (diabetes drug) for 8-9 years. They have recently found a link between increased risk of cancer and this drug.
anon said:
He's been on Actos for 8-9 years though. I understand they are only now seeing there may be a link with bladder cancer.
And if it's the same guy, he seems to me focused on "Actos at fault" at least as much if not more than the diesease in a loved one. The link is very weak and is statistically soft. But we think it's there.

Last edited:
I acknowledge that there is a lot that a Plaintiffs' lawyer will do to help his case, but an anonymous posting on a pilots' web board would be a pretty lame effort.

If the post had a link of some sort included, I'd be really suspicious.

But I admit - as a "strictly-business" lawyer, I may miss some tricks.

I don't really understand what a lawyer would be hoping for, someone to say, "Hey, I took Actos too and I have bladder cancer!"? The chances of that seem statistically small.

I don't really understand what a lawyer would be hoping for, someone to say, "Hey, I took Actos too and I have bladder cancer!"? The chances of that seem statistically small.

....but the potential payoff is big.

This is not about helping a lawsuit, this is about picking up further plaintiffs and re-selling them to one of the national chains that are active in that type of wholesale litigation.

The difference between a good and bad prognosis depends on the tumor. If the tumor is localized and has maintained its cellular differentiation it's better, and can probably be more easily removed. If the tumor has not maintained its cellular differentiation, and has begun to spread to other parts of the bladder, it is far more difficult to excise completely. The physicians will likely try and visualize the tumors, to see how big and spread out they are. Odds are a final determination of how good or bad things are will come when they examine the tumors pathologically after they are removed. That will tell them if the tumors have or have not begun to spread. Good luck.

Is it true that for many of these bladder cancers the treatment involves a series of active Tuberculosis exposures?

Bruce, thank you for making a spectacle of my father's disease.

Adam, I really don't. But I have fallen for this before on a couple of boards, and am quite wary since....

And if it's the same guy, he seems to me focused on "Actos at fault" at least as much if not more than the diesease in a loved one. The link is very weak and is statistically soft. But we think it's there.

If that is your conclusion after reading my three posts then I have learned a great deal about you.

My sentence about Actos is clearly your focus.

Is it true that for many of these bladder cancers the treatment involves a series of active Tuberculosis exposures?
Not tuberculosis but BCG, a type of bacteria that has been used to elicit an immune response.

Biological therapy (immunotherapy)
Biological therapy, sometimes called immunotherapy, works by signaling your body's immune system to help fight cancer cells. Biological therapy for bladder cancer is typically administered through your urethra and directly into the bladder (intravesical therapy).
Biological therapy drugs used to treat bladder cancer include:

• An immune-stimulating bacterium. Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG) is a bacterium used in tuberculosis vaccines. BCG can cause bladder irritation and blood in your urine. Some people feel as if they have the flu after treatment with BCG.
  • A synthetic version of an immune system protein. Interferon is a protein that your immune system makes to help your body fight infections. A synthetic version of interferon, called interferon alfa, may be used to treat bladder cancer. Interferon alfa is sometimes used in combination with BCG. Interferon alfa can cause flu-like symptoms. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bladder-cancer/DS00177/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Not tuberculosis but BCG, a type of bacteria that has been used to elicit an immune response.

Biological therapy (immunotherapy)
Biological therapy, sometimes called immunotherapy, works by signaling your body's immune system to help fight cancer cells. Biological therapy for bladder cancer is typically administered through your urethra and directly into the bladder (intravesical therapy).
Biological therapy drugs used to treat bladder cancer include:

• An immune-stimulating bacterium. Bacille Calmette-Guerin (BCG) is a bacterium used in tuberculosis vaccines. BCG can cause bladder irritation and blood in your urine. Some people feel as if they have the flu after treatment with BCG.
  • A synthetic version of an immune system protein. Interferon is a protein that your immune system makes to help your body fight infections. A synthetic version of interferon, called interferon alfa, may be used to treat bladder cancer. Interferon alfa is sometimes used in combination with BCG. Interferon alfa can cause flu-like symptoms. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bladder-cancer/DS00177/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

That's really interesting Gary, and makes really good sense. I imagine the idea is to illicit an immune response in the bladder like what you would get in an infection, but without causing an actual infection, which is really bad. The immune system will come in and clobber just about everything in the bladder including the tumor cells. Very cool.

Sometimes the world-weary will see pejoratives that aren't necessarily there. The two greatest lawsuit magnets are medicine and aviation, get someone like Bruce who occupies both worlds and they can become particularly allergic to litigation.

Sometimes the world-weary will see pejoratives that aren't necessarily there. The two greatest lawsuit magnets are medicine and aviation, get someone like Bruce who occupies both worlds and they can become particularly allergic to litigation.

Mike,
I have to admit that my initial reaction unfortunately was similar to Bruce's. Asking anonymous people for a prognosis based on nothing more than having taken Actos and his age?

Mike,
I have to admit that my initial reaction unfortunately was similar to Bruce's. Asking anonymous people for a prognosis based on nothing more than having taken Actos and his age?

Oh, I can see it. I can just see it the other way. I wouldn't think a shill would come back wounded.

Absolutely. Don't blame us for being suspicious. Trial lawyers play all sorts of dirty tricks.

If that is your conclusion after reading my three posts then I have learned a great deal about you.

You aren't even aware of YOUR focus. Reread your first two posts. Age 71 and ACTOS. You're not even aware you do it.

The normal approach would be, "my dad, who is 71, has bladder cancer. Anyone know about the prognosis". What you posted was, "he's been on Actos for ~7 years and there's a link between Actos and bladder cancer".

You're not even aware of the spectacle of posting anon, with Age 71 and ACTOS and then.....as the LAST item ....anyone know the....OH heck. Why wrestle with a pig.

My apologies if I am incorrect as to your profession, but it's blaring like a foghorn. If you care to let us know that I am correct/incorrect, I might feel differently. But that requires an actual, named, identitiy. Something you do not appear to have.

Spike, it is indeed pretty lame.

Last edited:

I perceived a greater than normal focus on Actos as well. And perception is reality. Cancer is multifactorial. Most are genetic factors. Some are environmental factors. A few involve irritants.

HOW doesn't matter at this point. And to pay undue attention to HOW will always arouse suspicion in a prudent practitioner.

Last edited:
HOW doesn't matter at this point. And to pay undue attention to HOW will always arouse suspicion in a prudent practitioner.
Question for the doctors. Do you often get patients (or friends and family of patients) who have done a lot of internet research and try to either blame their disease on something or try to come up with a cure themselves? I don't necessarily mean blame in the sense that the want to sue someone, just that they want something concrete rather to pin it on rather than saying it was the luck of the draw.

Why post this unfortunate news to an aviation board populated by pilots and people interested in aviating? Why not post to a health or medical forum?
And why post as an anonymous guest?

Question for the doctors. Do you often get patients (or friends and family of patients) who have done a lot of internet research and try to either blame their disease on something or try to come up with a cure themselves? I don't necessarily mean blame in the sense that the want to sue someone, just that they want something concrete rather to pin it on rather than saying it was the luck of the draw.

I'm not a doctor so feel free to ignore my answer. I see the blame game A LOT. "how could this have happened" is a lot different than " who/what is responsible".

I don't know about the doctors, but when I was diagnosed with prostate cancer my only concern was what the doctor recommended for getting rid of it. How I got it didn't even enter my mind. I just wanted to be rid of it. I still don't care how I got it, just that it's been gone for over 3 years. I care that it doesn't make a renewed appearance. It shouldn't, but that worry never seems to go away. This other stuff smells of ambulance chasers to me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back