Black tape on the wing

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Does anyone do this?

An IFR Prep resource, in the section on icing, suggested putting a piece of black tape on your wing (or other high contrast color if your wing is not white color) as a means of detecting ice accumulation. Put it in a visible spot from your seat.

If it starts to "disappear", then you know you're picking up ice.

I know someone who painted black stripes along the leading edge if his wings; we all thought he was wanting to look like he had inflatable ice boots.

You do NOT want to see ice accumulating on your leading edges! By the time that starts, you will already have some on your tail, as it builds on smaller radius parts first. Keep an eye on your OAT and know how high the freezing level is above you.

My airplane came with black tape along the leading edge of the wings and stabilator. My CFI didn't know what it was, the A&P thought it was what he called "chafe tape" to protect the finish. He called the FSDO to find out if he could sign off the airplane with it installed and found out what it was for at that point. I just had wanted to keep it because it made the bugs easier to wipe off.

My airplane came with black tape along the leading edge of the wings and stabilator. My CFI didn't know what it was, the A&P thought it was what he called "chafe tape" to protect the finish. He called the FSDO to find out if he could sign off the airplane with it installed and found out what it was for at that point. I just had wanted to keep it because it made the bugs easier to wipe off.

I've seen black tape and sometimes thick rubber on leading edges of tail horizontals. Especially tail draggers, keeps the rock chips off the paint when operating in the rocks.

My plane is dark blue (there are stripes but not anywhere useful for this). I've had no problem recognizing ice without "contrast". Maybe it's a problem on a white plane, but most darker colors shouldn't be an issue.

Ice accretes first on surfaces with radii a heck of a lot smaller than the wing's leading edge: OAT probes, struts, antennas, etc. If there is a discontinuity between the windshield and its structure, ice will begin to accumulate at the bottom of the windshield. As noted by others, the leading edge is a trailing indicator.

Bob Gardner

I've thought of the same thing. White ice accumulation on a white surface would be harder to spot.

So ice accumulates on the tail first. True, but you can't see white on a white tail either. So maybe put black tape on the tail too. Many rock guards are black and look like faux deice boots. Mine are white which is unhelpful as regards ice detection.

But even though ice accumulates on the tail first, I won't probably notice it there first - especially if it is white on white. So why not put tape on the wing leading edge or on a strut if you fly a strutted Cessna? It is more visible there. I spot ice by looking at the reflectivity of the white surface, which goes away with rime ice at least. I also look to make sure moisture is visibly running back. It requires a close look which is easy to do since I have struts. That's all good but white frost on black tape would get my attention immediately.

It will probably accumulate on the windshield edges first but every little bit of ice detection and accretion-rate measurement can't hurt so I can GTFO of it as early as possible.

Last edited:
Keep an eye on your OAT and know how high the freezing level is above you.

+ it's a likely first place for ice to start forming itself (on the OAT probe).

Actually, Jeff, I meant on the OAT readout that us top center if my panel. The actual probe is in a shielded spot on the lower right cowl cheek where it cannot be seen from inside the aircraft.

Strut edges, if you have them, will probably ice up about the same time as the tail, it just depends on their relative thickness and edge radii. Tape on the strut would probably be less noticeable by others, but easy to spot from inside. Cessna leading edges are pretty fat and should ice up late in the game.

+ it's a likely first place for ice to start forming itself (on the OAT probe).

Yep, on the Boeings we used the bolt on the windshield wiper as our ice gauge. On the Airbus it's the OAT probe on the wind shield center post (and it is internally lit).

Back