BIRD!!

All the birds I’ve hit have nothing to do with migratory patterns. Just birds native to the area. Until the FAA requires ADS-B out on all birds, I’ll just continue to keep my head on a swivel.

All the birds I’ve hit have nothing to do with migratory patterns. Just birds native to the area. Until the FAA requires ADS-B out on all birds, I’ll just continue to keep my head on a swivel.
I found that watching out for birds doesn't stop them from committing suicide on your airframe.

I found that watching out for birds doesn't stop them from committing suicide on your airframe.

Depends on how early you see them. Several birds spiraling under a cumulus can easily be avoided. The majority of the birds that I’ve hit were at night and weren’t seen at all though.

Depends on how early you see them. Several birds spiraling under a cumulus can easily be avoided. The majority of the birds that I’ve hit were at night and weren’t seen at all though.
%#^<~$# Geese! I hit a pair at night - I hadn't realized they flew that late, until then. I like seeing them fly when I'm on the ground.

%#^<~$# Geese! I hit a pair at night - I hadn't realized they flew that late, until then. I like seeing them fly when I'm on the ground.

Been a big rash of bird strikes at work in the past year. We’re required to fly at a higher altitude now because of them. Hit this sucker a few years back. Hate to see what a goose would’ve done to the windscreen.

6382B1C7-2EBE-4778-B79E-DF24B3A75E55.jpeg

We’ve got turkey vultures and red tail hawks all year round here. Bald eagles occasionally too... not to mention the ground hazards of deer, coyotes, and others.

Thanks for sharing. In NE, it seems we have one day in February when all the geese fly over at once. It is useful to know where they are. I saw a bunch of geese and crows on the move yesterday around Seattle and the link shows an arrow around there, sure enough.

Imagine this from one horizon to the other- they appear to fly between 1 and 5000 feet
IMG_0007 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

IMG_0001 by Jack Silver, on Flickr

I've just accepted that I know I don't react in time. I'm in the "Oh, did you see the size of that bird we just passed" crowd. If there is ever one straight in front of me, maybe I will be able to react, but more than likely I'll be landing trying to look through the splat on the windshield...assuming I still have one.

One of our aircraft. “Soft and cuddly Duck.” :D

I've just accepted that I know I don't react in time. I'm in the "Oh, did you see the size of that bird we just passed" crowd. If there is ever one straight in front of me, maybe I will be able to react, but more than likely I'll be landing trying to look through the splat on the windshield...assuming I still have one.

I fly a 150. I'm in the "Oh, did you see that bird that just passed us?" crowd. That's why 150s have rearview mirrors.

2 pound hawk took out a almost all of a 172 windscreen - took full power to maintain altitude, what with the giant air scoop opening.

larry-bird-571x900.jpg

Back