Bird Strike!

Daleandee

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dale Andee
Over the years I've hit birds a couple of times in different aircraft. First one was on a takeoff roll when what appeared to be an Egret came out of a ditch and in front of the right wing at the precise moment to put a slight dent in it.

The other was recently while on final approach not too far from touchdown. Several of what were perhaps quail came up out of the grass below. I heard one thunk on the bottom of the fuse but could not find any signs of impact or greasy remains. There has been some recent research about how light will deter birds. I have and use wig-wag lights for visibility as seen in this recent video:

One study seems to suggest red & blue LED lighting at certain wave lengths is a possible key as well as on off lighting -

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...7/researchers-see-light-reducing-bird-strikes

Now adding blue & red flashing LED lights to my plane would make me look like the Skyway Patrol! Perhaps a siren also? LOL!

Wondering if there are other ways to help avoid/prevent bird strikes.

Turkey buzzards and seagulls can be big issues here in North Carolina. Ducks and geese were the main bird bash issues back home in South Dakota. In both locations the threat is usually below 1000' to 1500'. Here in NC, the USMC usually opts not to fly their low level training routes below 1500' when the bash potential is moderate or higher.

However, I encountered a hawk at 3500' AGL a couple weeks ago, missing my left wing by about 50 feet. I'm not normally looking for potential bird bash at that height above ground. There was strong thermal activity, but also no reason for a hawk to be that high, other than just to enjoy the flight.

We equipped our helicopters at work with LED anti-bird pulse lights. Apparently a 60 % reduction in strikes with the light. I haven’t hit one yet with the light on so perhaps there’s some truth to it.

Last edited:
A few years ago in the 1900, I encountered a flock of canadian geese at 6000 ft MSL, at night, in IMC. Saw them for a split second in the lights and then heard the thud. Only got one, outboard of the number 2 engine, but boy did it make a mess. They had to rebuild the rib cap, the surface skin and put new boots on the plane. And flush the fuel system for bird guts.

Interesting, I always thought wildlife, deer especially, were attracted to lights. Especially if it’s shining directly at them, they’ll just freeze instead of moving - hence the term ‘deer in headlights’.

Last weekend we almost hit two GU-11s on takeoff from Watford City, ND, of all places... o_O

The typical B-1-RD we encounter around here this time of year is gaggles of gooses and there always seems to be at least one bird o' prey holding at each end of every runway in the state.

Last weekend we almost hit two GU-11s on takeoff from Watford City, ND, of all places... o_O

We'd get gulls in SD in the summer. They'd follow the Mississippi and then the Missouri. April is a bit early however.

The typical B-1-RD we encounter around here this time of year is gaggles of gooses and there always seems to be at least one bird o' prey holding at each end of every runway in the state.
While keeping my eyes out for the geese at Y19, I looked over to make sure I stayed in the pattern and realized I was looking down at a bald eagle. That was pretty cool seeing one from above.

Reactions: smv
My one bird strike was 20 years ago, the day I soloed. A local swallow zigged when he should have zagged and I got him with the prop on the 172. No damage that my CFI or I could find, so he signed me off for my first solo. I'd be perfectly happy to not have another.

Over the years I've hit birds a couple of times in different aircraft. First one was on a takeoff roll when what appeared to be an Egret came out of a ditch and in front of the right wing at the precise moment to put a slight dent in it.

The other was recently while on final approach not too far from touchdown. Several of what were perhaps quail came up out of the grass below. I heard one thunk on the bottom of the fuse but could not find any signs of impact or greasy remains. There has been some recent research about how light will deter birds. I have and use wig-wag lights for visibility as seen in this recent video:

One study seems to suggest red & blue LED lighting at certain wave lengths is a possible key as well as on off lighting -

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-...7/researchers-see-light-reducing-bird-strikes

Now adding blue & red flashing LED lights to my plane would make me look like the Skyway Patrol! Perhaps a siren also? LOL!

Wondering if there are other ways to help avoid/prevent bird strikes.

Mount wanna these on the plane. STC be damned.
upload_2020-4-26_7-18-9.jpeg

Heard that most bird’s default reflex when threatened in flight is to dive. If true, it might be a good idea if you detect a collision situation early enough to go high. Any ornithologists out there?

I hit a sea gull going into PVD with the nose gear of a Hawker. It got stuck there, and after we landed a guy from airport ops came over and took the remains away in a ziploc bag. I assume he was saving it for his lunch.

I've hit a couple.....I saw the blur a time or two for positive id, but once or twice we only heard the thud and never saw them....so those were only assumption.

I never will forget the face of my flight instructor & good friend telling the story..... He was just returning...had been on a flight with a different student doing T&G's at a nearby airport. Took a turkey buzzard through the prop. He said they had to land looking out the side window...and was still retching at the memory of cleaning the windshield for the flight home.

5448AF54-65B5-4409-8CA9-7A1F6A0CC4A4.jpeg Hit probably a dozen or so. Took one to the “disco ball” once in Iraq. Had grilled bird guts on the widows on post flight. :)

Have never had a bird strike, fingers crossed. Came way to close to an Eagle outside Sitka and a bear running across the runway in Gustavis..

On final yesterday I glanced to my right and saw a sand hill crane flying close formation with me, for a second. Didn’t announce, no ADSB, no preflight formation planning.

Birds these days......:mad:

Back