Binary N/A

Terry

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Terry
Hi All:

Help me out please.

I want the binary numbers for 0 through 10. I have forgotten how.

0 =
1 =
2 =
3 =
4 =
5 =
6 =
7 =
8 =
9 =
10 =

Also, a long time ago I was taught octal and hexidecimal. Is any of this still being used?

I used to repair computers, in the vacuum tube days, and we would use hexidecimal for locating hardware parts that had failed.

I had to change out a control module the other day and I had to enter the address of "36" in binary. So after trying to remember how to write "36" in binary I just used the same dip switch settings as the old controller.

Sooooooooooooo any of you on this web site this old?

Terry
PPL, ASEL, IR

My first programming course was "COBOL" and then "FORTRAN". I wrote the COBOL out on a programing pad and then "key punched" the cards, collated, and then entered them into a computer. Debugging consisted of going over each line of code and correcting and then punching a new card, inserting it in the correct order, and try again. If you really wanted to "mess" with the programmer just punch a card wrong or special code it where it would dump his program.

It was necessary to tell the printer to "Add 1 to line counter" each time it printed a line and then "IF line counter > 26 Go to new page"
That was the days of "real programming" Mouse? Not invented. DOS? Bill Gates was in grade school. Windows? The place where senior programmers got to sit by.

Monitors? HAHaHa!!!! A monitor was some one who made you be quiet in the library.

Thanks all :D

0 = 00000000
1 = 00000001
2 = 00000010
3 = 00000011
4 = 00000100
5 = 00000101
6 = 00000110
7 = 00000111
8 = 00001000
9 = 00001001
10 =00001010

furthest right digit is 2^0, furthest left is 2^7. add them up.

octal and hexadecimal are still out there but ive never used them

Aerospace Engineering at Iowa State is taught primarily in FORTRAN although we are starting to get a little MATLAB in there.

I used to repair computers, in the vacuum tube days, and we would use hexidecimal for locating hardware parts that had failed.

I had to change out a control module the other day and I had to enter the address of "36" in binary. So after trying to remember how to write "36" in binary I just used the same dip switch settings as the old controller.

36 DEC, Well you got one 32, and a 4

.. ^ ..^
.. 32..4

http://www.microcontroller.com/Embedded.asp?did=92

Binary = Base 2, multiply by 2 on each move left.
Octal = Base 8, multiply by 8 on each move left.
Hex = Base 16, multiply by 16 on each move left.

Its pretty fun going between each of the different bases.

Binary = 0 - 1
Octal = 0 - 7
Hex = 0 - F (10 = A, 11 = B, etc)

Just count all the way up in one column, then move to the next, just like carrying in base 10 :D

There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary and those that don't

I've heard that there are 3 kinds of people - those that can count, and those that can't.

Anyway, back to octal and the question of whether any of this is still being used - transponder digits are 0-7.

I've heard that there are 3 kinds of people - those that can count, and those that can't.

Anyway, back to octal and the question of whether any of this is still being used - transponder digits are 0-7.

Octal is still used extensively in over the air protocols for 802.16, CDMA2000, and 1xEV-DO. I am guessing that it is still used in UMTS and GSM as well. Sometimes you just don't need all the bits for a hex digit but you need more than two choices.

If you want to do a quick conversion, Google's calculator is very helpful. Just go to google.com and type some queries like "512 in hex", "1932 in binary", "724 in octal".

To go the other way, try "0b110101 in decimal", "0x03FF in decimal", etc. The "0b" and "0x" are just labels for binary and hexadecimal numbers.

Windows calculator works well too.

Start -> Run -> calc -> OK

View -> Scientific

Type in whatever number in decimal, and select Bin Hex or Oct. :D You can also go from any of those to decimal.

Thanks Everyone!

Your comments were interesting.

Anyone use "slide rules"? I have several in my desk drawer.

My best one is a "Pickett."

Terry :D

PPL, ASEL, IR

ive got a teachers demonstration slide rule in the living room, and a normal sized one hanging in my cube at work.

Thanks Everyone!

PPL, ASEL, IR

Pickett N4-ES is my best double log slide rule. Got it when I started college in 1970. It was 'obsolete' before I graduated (thank you, HP).

ive got a teachers demonstration slide rule in the living room, and a normal sized one hanging in my cube at work.

:goofy: You don't know how cheap you got off!

A buddy of mine had to get married to get one of the big ones.

When her father asked when he was going to marry her, he said he would if he could have the big slide rule. :D He's got it (and her.)

Pickett N4-ES is my best double log slide rule. Got it when I started college in 1970. It was 'obsolete' before I graduated (thank you, HP).

I remember the WANG workstation in the chem building 1971 just about when the HP/TI came out for $$$$$$.

I remember the WANG workstation in the chem building 1971 just about when the HP/TI came out for $$$$$$.

WSU had one of those in the EE department, too. But you couldn't take it to the dorm room. ;)

Thanks Everyone!

PPL, ASEL, IR

I played around with one but I never really learned to use it. I was always in the first class that converted to calculators.

I would still see lots of them when I entered the work force though. Now they seem to have gone completely away.

I think I got this in 1963.

Still pretty good shape.

I still remember how to multiply 2 X 3 = 6

I was a real whiz on this. :D

Seriously, log and trig functions were great & fairly easy.

I don't have a swimming pool but if I ever get one I can calculate how long it will take me fill it using 2 different size hoses.

Also the wife and I can take 2 trains and travel at different speeds and I can figure out where she is. ( Call on the cell phone and ask.):blowingkisses:

This information is so useful.

Terry

Attachments

• Slide Rule.jpg
    Slide Rule.jpg
    447.5 KB · Views: 6
here at work, ive got a Sterling Precision Slide Rule. at home is the teachers model, pretty sure its a Pickett. Dont think it has as many scales as you Terry but it has scales on both sides.

Back