Bike ride to Fisk

Martin Pauly

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Martin Pauly
I'm riding my bicycle to Fisk again to see the controllers at AirVenture in action. It's an easy 9-mile ride (each way) from Camp Scholler. We did this in a small group in 2021 and a few more people joined in 2022.

Sunday July 23, 2023 at 1:00 PM

If you'd like to join, details (and RSVP) are in this FaceBook invite:
https://www.facebook.com/events/1403933410394473/

- Martin

upload_2023-7-8_11-45-52.png

I don’t have Facebook (on purpose) but I _should_ be there Sat and will bring my folding bike with me.

looks like I can still see the page without a login, so will watch for Sunday.

Last year I was on single speed folding e-bike that is good for about 15 miles.

This year, I’m taking an Uber.

Last year I was on single speed folding e-bike that is good for about 15 miles.

This year, I’m taking an Uber.

You could get one of those electric scooters to put in the Mooney like @crash7 had at RR. :p:eek:

I’ve been dreaming about those newer electric bikes lately. I just saw a guy yesterday going about 25 mph with next to no peddling. That’s more my style, especially up hills.

I picked up one of these. I haven't taken it anywhere, but I have ridden it around my neighborhood.

I picked up one of these. I haven't taken it anywhere, but I have ridden it around my neighborhood.

That’s the exact one that required careful battery management. Martin sets a strong pace

Weather is looking great for the weekend - y'all come and join us on this ride to Fisk!
Sunday 1:00 PM, meeting location is Camp Scholler.

- Martin

I didn’t think I’ll make it the whole 10 miles there and back (that’s a serious bike ride distance about 45 min each way, and I’m not practiced in riding that distance). So I’ll probably meet y’all at the start, ride a couple miles then turn back.
looking forward to it!

Weather is looking great for the weekend - y'all come and join us on this ride to Fisk!
Sunday 1:00 PM, meeting location is Camp Scholler.

- Martin
Can you give me an idea which gate/ road exactly ? The camp Scholler area is really large.

Which route are you taking. ?

Can you give me an idea which gate/ road exactly ? The camp Scholler area is really large.

Which route are you taking. ?
The Facebook invite has all the details: https://www.facebook.com/events/1403933410394473/

For convenience:

“This is a bike ride along Fisk Avenue, which is part of the famous Fisk Arrival which tens of thousands of airplanes fly over to get to AirVenture each year. We'll ride our bicycles to Fisk where we can see the air traffic controllers who run Fisk Approach. Afterwards, we'll stop at Wehrmann's Bar in Fisk for a refreshment before heading back to Oshkosh.
Meeting location is the registration area of Camp Scholler (Neunteufel Ave, near Poberezny Rd). Departure from there will be at 1:00 PM on Sunday, July 23.
The route is about 8 miles each way and fairly flat. Fisk Ave itself is very quiet and bike-friendly, but be prepared to mix with other traffic until we get there. Ride at your own risk. Helmets and locks are encouraged.“

Today is the day - weather looks beautiful for our bike ride to Fisk!
See you all at 1:00PM in the Camp Scholler registration area.

- Martin

Thanks for posting that picture of Fisk. Anyone else amazed that, with all of the sequencing and controlling that Fisk does, it looks like just a handful of people with a radio and binoculars?

Guess I was envisioning something a bit...more complex?

Thanks for posting that picture of Fisk. Anyone else amazed that, with all of the sequencing and controlling that Fisk does, it looks like just a handful of people with a radio and binoculars?

Guess I was envisioning something a bit...more complex?

Well, they do have ratchet straps tied to buckets filled with concrete anchoring the awning. I guess that could be considered complex engineering to some folks. :D

But yeah... K.I.S.S. at its best.

Back