BIIIIG Kaboom!!!

"We have several very large penetrators we're developing," he told defense reporters.

700 tons?? I guess so! Yikes.:lightning::lightning:

Frank Browne said:
"We have several very large penetrators we're developing," he told defense reporters.

700 tons?? I guess so! Yikes.:lightning::lightning:

BTW, that is obviously too much for any viable delivery system... at least of conventional munitions. Makes for a pretty small non-conventional device... Kinda makes you wonder what they are really trying to simulate, huh? :D

Joe Williams said:
BTW, that is obviously too much for any viable delivery system... at least of conventional munitions. Makes for a pretty small non-conventional device... Kinda makes you wonder what they are really trying to simulate, huh? :D
Tonnage refers, in this case, to the explosive force of that weight in dynamite, right?

So if it were real TNT, it would weigh 700 tons (1,400,000 lbs yes) but other explosive types (of the sub molecular type) can be a lot lighter right?

I've forgotten way too much from my GMG days. Then again, GMGs never got near any of the non TNT type...

Greebo said:
Tonnage refers, in this case, to the explosive force of that weight in dynamite, right?

So if it were real TNT, it would weigh 700 tons (1,400,000 lbs yes) but other explosive types (of the sub molecular type) can be a lot lighter right?

I've forgotten way too much from my GMG days. Then again, GMGs never got near any of the non TNT type...

I got to play with C4 as a combat engineer, and learned to make some improvised explosives over the years, but I don't recall having ever equated it to dynamite. Been a long time, maybe that bit just kinda leaked out of my memory. That's how it's done with nukes, of course, so you are probably right. Either way, it should be a heck of a show!!!

Greebo said:

I would hope so because if that is the real weight what are they going to use to lift it?
The C-130's design maximum gross weight is 155,000 pounds (175,000 pounds wartime) with a normal landing weight of 130,000 pounds. The operating weight is approximately 80,000 pounds. The airplane is capable of airlifting 92 ground troops, 64 fully equipped paratroopers, or 74 litter patients. It can also carry 45,000 pounds of cargo.
45,000lbs is only 22.5 tons

Did you notice in the story that they've notified the Russians? I would hope so. Something that big that goes bang is not going to go unnoticed. :D Wish I had an excuse to be in Las Vegas the beginning of June. Should be quite a show.

Joe Williams said:
I got to play with C4 as a combat engineer, and learned to make some improvised explosives over the years, but I don't recall having ever equated it to dynamite. Been a long time, maybe that bit just kinda leaked out of my memory. That's how it's done with nukes, of course, so you are probably right. Either way, it should be a heck of a show!!!
Ahhh, C4, Joe :yes:

Fun to play with and you can use it to boil water in a canteen cup too!

Apparently, they may really be planning to blow 700 actual tons of explosives up. An article says they are using 40 times more than the previously largest test, where they blew up 18 tons of ammo. They are using ammonium nitrate and fuel oil (I kinda wonder if that is supposed to be fuel air... is fuel oil a good explosive?) Gonna be awesome!!

On a less fun note, if they are really using that much, I really gotta believe they are testing the effectiveness of smaller nukes on hardened underground bunkers. Can anyone think of a reason for doing that, any targets that have been in the news that might warrant such a thing? Nukes... evil, nasty things. I used to stand next to them, and swear I could feel evil oozing out of them.

Joe Williams said:
They are using ammonium nitrate and fuel oil (I kinda wonder if that is supposed to be fuel air... is fuel oil a good explosive?) Gonna be awesome!!

Fuel oil/Ammonium nitrate is an excellent explosive. Cheap. powerful and easy to handle. The trick is getting it into the proper proportions, and the correct detanator, if it's not right, it won't work. It's commonly used in the mining industry.

Gary

Gary said:
Fuel oil/Ammonium nitrate is an excellent explosive. Cheap. powerful and easy to handle. The trick is getting it into the proper proportions, and the correct detanator, if it's not right, it won't work. It's commonly used in the mining industry.

Gary
Wasn't that the contents of the Ryder truck in Oklahoma City?

gkainz said:
Wasn't that the contents of the Ryder truck in Oklahoma City?
Yes. I watched a Porsche 911 jump at least 6 inches off a lift 6 city blocks away. It also blew out the windows on one side of the building.

When are they going to do this? I'll be in Vegas for my daughters HS graduation week of June 12th.

Back