Bight the bullet and go for 430W?

2002 Harv

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John
So one shop says that no mater what unit I put in, labor is 3K. So then I'm thinking--- Apolo GX50 for 2K plus 3K, done. King 94B for 3.5K plus 3K, done.

Well, used 430 with fresh WAAS conversion plus install kit for 6.8K and then 3K for the install.
Kinda like, if your gonna do it, you might as well do it.
I'm thinking the other shop will have beter install prices. I'll talk to him on Monday.

John

So one shop says that no mater what unit I put in, labor is 3K. So then I'm thinking--- Apolo GX50 for 2K plus 3K, done. King 94B for 3.5K plus 3K, done.

Well, used 430 with fresh WAAS conversion plus install kit for 6.8K and then 3K for the install.
Kinda like, if your gonna do it, you might as well do it.
I'm thinking the other shop will have beter install prices. I'll talk to him on Monday.

John

Well, if you're gonna do it, do it right, 480 & MX 200

I'm a partner in a Cardinal with an 89b, and an Archer with a 430.

The 430 is a lot more fun to use than the King, but they both get you to the same point in space.

It sounds like the delta between King and Garmin is about the price of a Garmin 496. Having XM weather is priceless, so I'd go with the King and 496 if I didn't fly a lot of real IMC GPS approaches.

If you fly a lot GPS approaches in IMC then having WAAS will be a big win, well worth the delta. If you also have XM weather.

But if it was a choice between WAAS and XM, I'd go with XM every time.

A 480 would be a superior solution (of course, I'm not sure of the used market for those since most people keep theirs! :)

Yea the used market isn't that great since these are in demand. However it looks like I could save 1500 going used with the recent WAAS upgrade. I'm also thinking that WAAS approaches will be more and more common and the WAAS upgrade will be more valuable in the airplane when it comes time to sell it.

John

Bite the bullet......Stark Avionics.......Check them out

Yea the used market isn't that great since these are in demand. However it looks like I could save 1500 going used with the recent WAAS upgrade. I'm also thinking that WAAS approaches will be more and more common and the WAAS upgrade will be more valuable in the airplane when it comes time to sell it.

John

Almost every GPS approach provides LPV mins, and even when the plate doesn't have LPV the WAAS box gives you a glideslope.

WAAS is a big step forward. But XM weather is even bigger.

Well, I got two quotes from local shops.
One shop sent an e-mail that said "430 with wass installed 14000" and that was it.

The other shop was much more detailed and included the removal of my flying V antenna, GPS steering, new com and nav antennas, new indicator, instalation and interfase with my 60-2, and credit for my old stuff (950) They want 18200.

Stock market is way down.

Looks like I'm an Apollo 618 kind a guy!

John

Looove the WAAS! Shot my first LPV approach to mins the other day.

I think you might as well go for the WAAS if you're up for it. Removing that flying V is rumored to give you a few extra knots too.

I spent a couple hundred hours in Seminoles with the 430 (and dual 430 in a few of them). In terms of the ease of interface, nothing beats the 430, I'd take that over the King or Apollo any day. Of course, I don't have to pay for it, so what do I know!

If you are planning on signing up for the WAAS upgrade you need to do it by tomorrow. Garmin is increasing the upgrade price from $1500 to $3000

If you are planning on signing up for the WAAS upgrade you need to do it by tomorrow. Garmin is increasing the upgrade price from $1500 to $3000

Our $1500.00 went to $4000.00 before we were done. I guess it could have been $5500.00.

> New antenna cable (for many, perhaps most, existing installations)
> (For many legacy installations) - Installation of annunciator / switching panel
> New certification

New antenna and new wiring. They had to put an antenna on the belly. Of course I had to pay for the testing to figure out where to put that antenna. I''ll be surprised if it's only $1800.00.

New antenna and new wiring. They had to put an antenna on the belly. Of course I had to pay for the testing to figure out where to put that antenna. I''ll be surprised if it's only $1800.00.
GPS antenna on the belly? That's not right. We are on the schedule for November so I will be able to post our cost after its complete.

GPS antenna on the belly? That's not right. We are on the schedule for November so I will be able to post our cost after its complete.

I suspect they had to move a com antenna to the belly to achieve the required separation from the gps antenna on the roof.

It was the #2 comm antenna that was moved. The GPS antenna is also new and that one replaced the old one on top of the plane. The extra money was for new wiring and the belly comm antenna. When the #2 comm was keyed the 430W started having problems. We still have the old comm antenna on the top because my handheld (emergency backup) plugs into it. We also have a second GPS antenna on the roof for our 396.

It was the #2 comm antenna that was moved. The GPS antenna is also new and that one replaced the old one on top of the plane. The extra money was for new wiring and the belly comm antenna. When the #2 comm was keyed the 430W started having problems. We still have the old comm antenna on the top because my handheld (emergency backup) plugs into it. We also have a second GPS antenna on the roof for our 396.

Ug....I hope we don't have the same antenna issues. Time will tell.

Ug....I hope we don't have the same antenna issues. Time will tell.

The other money grabber is the GPS antenna wiring. If your lucky your wire will be the right cable.

Our #2 comm is a Narco. I don't know if that was causing the problem or if it was just the location of the antenna.

Looks like I'm going to be the owner of a KLN90B. Got a screaming deal on one. Comes with tray, connectors, ect...

John

Looks like I'm going to be the owner of a KLN90B. Got a screaming deal on one. Comes with tray, connectors, ect...

John

While the KLN90B is no 430 it is fine for most functions. It is what I fly with and have pulled a lot of XC IFR hours with it. The display is very bright and give info as to where you are in relation to a airport or nav fix but it does not do airspace very well at all. It will only give you a message that there is airspace ahead that may be of concern. For shooting an approach it is more than fine. The menus and fpl page are very similar to KLN94 and KLN89B, but the nav pages are a little different. I do enjoy having the split screen function. My one complaint is the nearest function is really poorly done. It is difficult to find things such as nearest airport which could be a problem. I did add a Lowrance 600 to my plane and use it for the extra visual references it gives me.

Geeesheesssss........I installed myself and it didn't cost me anything...oppps, I bought myself a beer.

Hummmmm, yep........wanna go fer a ride buddy......?

How's the 90 compare to the 94?

Not very well. While there are plenty of pilots who've used the -90B long enough that they are comfortable with it, very few who've also spent time with a -94 would chose the 90B. The UI logic in the -90 is archaic to say the least, the screen resolution sucks, and IIRC you have to pull the whole radio out of the panel to update the DB or connect a laptop (if the installation included the appropriate connector for that). The KLN-89B is no better, but the -94 is a huge improvement over both the others.

Not very well. While there are plenty of pilots who've used the -90B long enough that they are comfortable with it, very few who've also spent time with a -94 would chose the 90B. The UI logic in the -90 is archaic to say the least, the screen resolution sucks, and IIRC you have to pull the whole radio out of the panel to update the DB or connect a laptop (if the installation included the appropriate connector for that). The KLN-89B is no better, but the -94 is a huge improvement over both the others.
Having flown/simmed with all three, I agree with Lance 100%.

Back